Parenting 101 - Appropriate or Not?

Disclaimer

My daughter complained that a boy picked on her in preschool. I started her in Karate that week. That's my version of parenting 101.

He stopped.

there are several reasons I want a son.... this would be one of them

Sons are a blast. Mine as helped keep me young and got me into doing things I had never done and now enjoy a lot (skiing).

This shit (start of tread) is just crap. It is parents that have a warped sense of what is important in life.

No one is going to defend this? No one?!

C'mon... I'm disappointed that everyone is so appalled by this. It's no fun if everyone agrees. Find me someone that condones/supports this pageantry.

sorry, I'm too busy this morning to commit to a devil's advocacy program.

maybe next time

I will say that pageants or the idea of them if age appropriate is not too bad. I mean dress a 6 year old up as a 6 year old, don't dress a 6 year old up a Vegas showgirl :(

Society as a whole puts way too much importance on outward appearance. We are not going to change that, and it does not end as we get older.

Preface all this with - I'm not a parent, so obviously I don't know right from wrong when it comes to kids. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to put this in quotes bc of how many times this has been (stupidly) said. It makes me laugh that just bc people have popped a baby out (caused a baby to be popped out) that they suddenly have 'parenting skillz'.

On a seperate note, i'll play devil's advocate here (only a little, bc i think this is inappropriate as well). What do you guys find the most offensive? The clothing, the dancing, or the music? What if it was just one of the things? What if they were in baggy jeans and a t-shirt but still doing these dance moves, is that ok? OR what about if they were still wearing these outfits but doing a tamer dance to "itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini" ?

I just wanted to put this in quotes bc of how many times this has been (stupidly) said. It makes me laugh that just bc people have popped a baby out (caused a baby to be popped out) that they suddenly have 'parenting skillz'.

On a seperate note, i'll play devil's advocate here (only a little, bc i think this is inappropriate as well). What do you guys find the most offensive? The clothing, the dancing, or the music? What if it was just one of the things? What if they were in baggy jeans and a t-shirt but still doing these dance moves, is that ok? OR what about if they were still wearing these outfits but doing a tamer dance to "itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini" ?

It is the combination of clothes and dancing. If they were in baggy clothes or even normal cheering clothes, the routine might be cute if toned down just a bit.

The outfits by themselves are not really appropriate anytime for a six year old. Yeah, not much different than a bathing suit, but much more suggestive.

Maybe I feel this way because I have young nieces that have been involved in competitive cheering. Maybe it is because I am not attracted to six year olds, and think kids should hang on to innocence for as long as they can.

Now if these girls were 19,well..... :D

I have a cousin who is 11 she has been in cheer-leading since she was 7. They don't wear outfits quite as revealing but sometimes they have a booty shake in there routine. While I don't think it is appropriate to have young girls thrusting there pelvis or dancing around half naked, I do feel that being a part of a team is a confidence booster. I have seen my cousin's confidence and social skills greatly improve over the last few years. I and her mother attribute it to cheer. She has made many friendships and stays healthy and fit as well. Cheer and dance should be done tastefully and age appropriately for sure but I don't think it's terrible to have a child involved in either sport. There are way too many positives about them. Just my 2 cents

perception problem of the society......:rolleyes:

I feel this no different than kids addicted to Chuck e Cheese's or other arcade suggestive and violent games.....very difficult for them to identify from reality and fantasy.....growing up the same way....becoming arrogant, irresponsible adults....

"OK....start the rant...."

If they are going to do this stuff as adults they might as well be getting used to the lifestyle with their parents help to guide them along the way. The parents can keep on eye on them at this age much easier than when they are older.

perception problem of the society......:rolleyes:

I feel this no different than kids addicted to Chuck e Cheese's or other arcade suggestive and violent games.....very difficult for them to identify from reality and fantasy.....growing up the same way....becoming arrogant, irresponsible adults....

"OK....start the rant...."

I totally agree with you on this one! It IS natural for little boys to play cowboy, and have toy guns. Not so much for them to be talking about the mega-blaster, or rail-gun from popular video games, where killing is done for the sake of killing, or at least that they have no clue about WHY the killing is happening in COD, or whatever game they're playing. They have no clue that it is a WAR scene. They also have no clue what that even means. All they see and know from it is the killing.

I really can't explain my thinking on this well enough, so I'll /rant.

In the interest of full disclosure, Kosmo is the founder and team leader of "Kosmo's Cuties" a 9-and-under traveling dance troop that his daughter participates in. :D

That's it. I'm deleting him off my Facebook, now, and ignoring him on here as well.... :lol:

So, maybe it's just me being an uptight conservative prude when I say that I don't think this is appropriate for parents to support/condone this for kids of their apparent age... Like I said, this is just me going out on a limb here.:p

Children are creepy enough without dressing them up/letting them act like real people.