loading backwards

jonan

ive always loaded my motorcycles backwards in the bed of my truck so i could ride it down the ramp. shadows have no fairings.

im picking up a cbr f4i tomorrow, has full fairings.

im concerned about the trip home. will the wind damage the fairings if i load the bike facing backwards?

thoughts??

Thoughts? Don't load it backwards. Not at freeway speeds anyway. Just get some help when unloading it.

I used to load them any which way, but was never driving at freeway speeds. I could get up to 8 little bikes in a pickup truck. Using a lift gate, of course.

Curious, how the heck do you get it up the ramp backwards?

I'd think that getting it down the ramp backwards would be easier.

We loaded the Z backwards on Todds ghetto trailer. Traveled at much higher than uh, legal speed and went halfway around 270 with no I'll effects. But I haz no plastics so I'll just go away now.

Curious, how the heck do you get it up the ramp backwards?

I'd think that getting it down the ramp backwards would be easier.

the same as going up the ramp forwards, but it requires alot more pulling than pushing. riding it down the ramp off the truck is cake.

since im usually unloading by myself this was always the best way to load the bike in.

thanks for the input everyone, especially jagr, i forgot to take the flux capacitor into account... so i'll be loading the bike facing forward.

If the wind goes backwards through your flux capacitor bad things will happen.

I'm not sure why this hit me so hard, but I am now picking rasin bran out of my keyboard. Thanks, yadik!

I think Brandon had an issue where he put a fully faired bike onto an open trailer back wards. It ripped the fairings off.

I understand that going forwards to get the bike off the truck is easier but doesn't that just make loading harder?

Anyway, definitely forward facing

Loading ANY bike backwards in a P/U truck is one of the most labor intensive and wastes of energy one can do. Unless you have a loading dock....

I can guarantee you can load and unload a bike easier if forward facing. The ease you experienced unloading is minimal compared to unloading if forward facing...

Do it right. Also, no need for 300 tie downs. Two on the forks and MAYBE one to secure the rear is all you need. Guys go over board with tie downs... These aren't 15' diameter steel rolls we are hauling...

Actually. I would load it like this guy. Just put it on the kick stand and start tying it down.

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

hahahahaha.

i have a condor replica, i put it at the front of my pickup bed, or front of my trailer, load my dirt or street bike into it, 2 straps on the front with a canyon dancer, and thats it.

that guy needs a wheel chock. nothing stopping it from rolling forward is very bad. plus all those tie downs have no leverage on the bike to keep it from tipping. you should put them as high as you can. one on the lower part like that will not keep it up.

Edited by serpentracer

WOW! I hope you said something to him Joe. Looks like thats how he hauls it hence the red tape lining it up just right. :nono:

it disturbs me that there are people dumb enough to do this riding in anyone's "I" group...

^have you seen the people in I group lately??? I group has always been a wide range, people who don't have the ego to stay in N, and the guys have have the talent but not the balls to ride in A.

so glad i got the bump up to A, much more relaxed albeit faster pace.

^have you seen the people in I group lately??? I group has always been a wide range, people who don't have the ego to stay in N, and the guys have have the talent but not the balls to ride in A.

so glad i got the bump up to A, much more relaxed albeit faster pace.

I may have to join you shortly.

WOW! I hope you said something to him Joe. Looks like thats how he hauls it hence the red tape lining it up just right. :nono:

we couldn't find him. I'm waiting for him to be some OR member. either way, I did a lot of walking around at Mid-OH that day. Rainy and bored.