Any been to Madrid?

gen3flygirl

I am taking a trip to Madrid, Spain to visit a friend who is going to school over there. I have a feeling that I will have some spare time while she is in class. Was wondering if any one has ever been over there and had some must see places or suggestions. I will be over there May 28- June 6th.

From DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Madrid:

1. Palacio Real

2. Museo del Prado

3. Plaza Mayor

4. Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales

5. El Rastro

6. Museo Thyssen-Bornernisza

7. Centro de Arte Reina Sofia

8. Parque del Retiro

9. Museo de America

10. El Escorial

Frommer's Spain, Frommer's Madrid, and DK Travel Spain in PDF on CD if you want them.

They list day trips, restaurants, nightclubs, etc...

If your friend is going to school there, i'm gonna bet she probably knows whats up... no?

I've only been to the east side, so unless you venture to barcelona or valencia, i got nothin! lo siento.

been there and loved it.....

if you have lil more time visit nearby Aranjuez, Toledo, Segovia...

night life......take some bar hopping "tapas tour" (the best) in a bus....order more than one tapas per person (they are small)....you can visit some flamenco restaurants (pricey) as well.

Bars, I liked....Arola, Bar Cock (yeah that's the name), Explore the Chueca neighborhood for family run small and cheaper eat outs but gosh they are damn good. Walk in the Plaza de Santana area, lot of interesting eateries you can browse the menu and price from outside....these are some insiders tip.....rest google.......all the best....and ohhh....expect some open gheyness :supergay:and male whores....:lol:

live la vida loca

nightrider 1000rr - you guys suck but LOL

Thanks Recon your the best! Ended up picking up a few books at half priced

C-bus- my dad's co-pilot had his wallet stolen when they were in Spain on their way to the Redbull Air Races. He had a bitch of a time getting back because his pilots license was in there.

Kosmo- THANKS!!!! that's what I was looking for. As for the Gheyness...I have a few friends here that are out but damn they make great drinking buddies!!!

Every place I've been so far, I've always hit up wikitravel for touristy suggestions and have yet to be let down. Link for Madrid: http://wikitravel.org/en/Madrid

My normal international travel suggestions apply:

Carry your passport with you at all times. According to wikitravel, they ask for a photo ID for credit card transactions, and they don't give a shit about your Ohio drivers license. Make a color copy of your passport and keep as well as your drivers license in the hotel room safe, you'll need both of them in case your passport gets lifted. You're in a capital city with a full embassy, if your passport gets lost or stolen getting a replacement won't be a terrible thing as long as you can provide proof you had one to begin with.

Make sure you take about 3-4 business cards from the hotel with you, and keep at least one on your person at all times. If you get lost or find yourself crawling out of a bottle of Licor 43 and can't remember where you are, you can hail a cab, give the cabbie the card, and you'll be back to the hotel in no time.

Watch your ass around ATM's as well. Keep in mind that the bank will charge 3% on top of all foreign transactions, so if you need cash try to get as much as you can in one spot. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, go to Travelex in the airport before you leave. Those guys rip you off something fierce. There will be plenty of exchangers, shop rates a little before you exchange.

Amsterdam customs wasn't a big deal for me late last year, I don't imagine you'll have an issue with Madrid seeing as they're all EU. Be nice, answer questions directly, and don't volunteer information. That goes 345x more for US Customs. Make sure you fill out the declaration form completely. I've found that if you itemize your gifts and personal items enough to fill up the spaces on one card, you won't get asked for anything else. Coming back from China, I just put "Gifts - $200" in the line and got the 3rd degree from the Customs guy. Australia I filled it up, and walked through with double the amount of alcohol I'm supposed to have (it's 1 liter) even though I declared it. Direct answers, don't volunteer anything, and don't use your cell phone. You'll be nervous walking in, after you're done you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. :)

Have fun and rock out!

Ditto on watching out for high exchange rates. Although I did find a bank in downtown Hamburg that didn't charge me at all, I think because I had an American Express card. I changed 1000 bucks to Euro right then and there. And was later sorry I didn't do twice that amount. Customs can be weird. I walk right through all of them with no hassle or interest in what I have. I suppose it's all that time I spent with spooks, it hasn't worn off yet. And yes, pickpockets are fierce in any public area where tourists will be. Back away from all strangers that start uninvited conversations, and watch your back. At least till you can judge them better. After a couple of days, you can tell the difference. They are after the ones "fresh off the boat". And they make a living doing that... see above, the assholes that walk around with 2000 Euros in a pocket...