Treated lumber deck or the fake stuff?

Gump

I'm building a deck and I need to order it today. I'm leaning towards the fake decking and railing because of the low maintenance and the thought that this stuff lasts for years.

But does it? Has it been around long enough that any one actually knows? Will it dry out and become all bury or something.

It's almost twice the cost but that's not as important as the longevity of the deck. Although with an all wood deck I could afford to also put a roof over the deck from the house.

As far as the fake stuff goes its definitely a get what you pay for type deal. It does "wear" over time but not like wood. My parents have had their deck for 5 years now with this stuff and only 1 board actually split and it was covered under a warranty.

I highly recommend this over wood, our old house had a wood deck and I hated that thing because of the maintenance

I'm redoing my parents deck this summer and they are leaning towards the composite decking. The wood deck has lasted around 20 years but a lot of boards have split and splintered. 25 year warranty on the composite and no refinishing seems to be the best bet for them.

The composite from Manards only has a 10 year warranty?

Max- You have a point that makes me think since it's so old but it will be resided.

hmmm still undecided.

The composite from Manards only has a 10 year warranty?

Max- You have a point that makes me think since it's so old but it will be resided.

hmmm still undecided.

I don't have a Menards near me, but my parents do. If it were me, based on the quality of stuff there, I wouldn't be trying to compare warranties of the products there vs other places. Menards is known for low prices....and they don't do that by offering the good stuff. i just did a quick search and found a composite with a 25 yr warranty for residential applications. YMMV.

My point is...like someone else mentioned...you get what you pay for. I wouldn't go judging all composite decking by what you see at Menards.

Very good points. I think the costs associated with maintenace over the long term have swayed me to the composite stuff and the fact that i'm not moving ever.

Very good points. I think the costs associated with maintenace over the long term have swayed me to the composite stuff and the fact that i'm not moving ever.
Screw it, I went with wood.

36' x 12' two levels, two stairs

$2300ish including tax.

:lol:good choice bubby. Sounds like its going to be sweet. Cant wait to shoot from it. It will have built in shooting benches. Right?