Redying a Jacket

Hwilli

I went down on Saturday, and ended up scuffing my jacket all to hell. It is an Alpine Stars dragster jacket, so it is made to look distressed/worn anyway, but the fall wore some big patches of the dye off.

I would imagine the exposed leather is now unprotected, and could get messed up worse in the weather.

Is there someplace I could take this, or some sort of product I could use on it myself?

TIA,

Howard

Who gives a fuck about the jacket, use a sharpie.... You went down? :(

What happened man?

I'm not so worried about the looks. It doesn't look bad. I was more concerned about the jacket getting messed up from rain or what not.

This is the first leather jacket of any type i have owned (weird I know), so this is new to me.

H

Edited by Hwilli
spelling

Im sorry, it seems your reply haz failed to answer my question. How did you go down man?

...and I believe this is your second leather jacket. The other one you left at my house (after a long night of course) was not a motorcycle jacket though.

your best bet is take it to a drycleaner. If they are knowledgeable enough and have a leather person they can either tell you if its fixable or give you the info to talk to the leather people.

Back when I was in school and working at the drycleaner we did a lot of leather and had a really good guy but he was in cinci

From experience, I don't repair anymore, I just go buy a new one. Depending on the level of damage, some repairs can be done at home. Even minor repairs done by professionals, can be more than the cost of a good used jacket. The repairs will vary per the type of leather, but scuffs can be smoothed, or raised out, and redyed. Jackets are typically redyed after professional dry cleaning anyway. Judge the overall condition of the jacket, before deciding whether to repair it or not. If it's gotten dry or stiff or brittle over time, it is damaged and not the best subject for repair. I realize it might be that first jacket and a keeper, but basically it's now a keeper with scuff marks on it.

edit: I still have my first jacket, no damage... and my second most favorite original jacket, is extremely worn out and damaged from time itself. And it fits rather tight now, but I still have it...

Edited by ReconRat

The jacket is for sure worth trying to save. except for the black gone, it is still in great shape. I have Doc Martens Wonder Balsam and Dubbin if that might help protect it.

Some info that might be useful, might not.

http://www.awrust.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse.more&more_id=25&cs=af7c8e82

http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm

I've got an Icon leather that I went down in twice in the last two years and I ride in all weather. The left side and back are missing dye, but the rain doesn't do anything worse to it. I say leave it as is, Sharpie that bitch, or buy a new one.

From experience, I don't repair anymore, I just go buy a new one. Depending on the level of damage, some repairs can be done at home. Even minor repairs done by professionals, can be more than the cost of a good used jacket. The repairs will vary per the type of leather, but scuffs can be smoothed, or raised out, and redyed. Jackets are typically redyed after professional dry cleaning anyway. Judge the overall condition of the jacket, before deciding whether to repair it or not. If it's gotten dry or stiff or brittle over time, it is damaged and not the best subject for repair. I realize it might be that first jacket and a keeper, but basically it's now a keeper with scuff marks on it.

pretty much dead on other than the bolded part. Whatever any idiot counter jockey at some of these drycleaners say do not EVER let them dryclean it. There is a specific process for cleaning leather garments that most drycleaners cannot do and thats why they usually have a partnership with a company that specializes in leather cleaning and repair

pretty much dead on other than the bolded part. Whatever any idiot counter jockey at some of these drycleaners say do not EVER let them dryclean it. There is a specific process for cleaning leather garments that most drycleaners cannot do and thats why they usually have a partnership with a company that specializes in leather cleaning and repair

"Jackets are typically redyed after professional dry cleaning anyway"

oops... you are correct, I should have said when professional dry cleaners send them out for special leather cleaning. Which is what they do. They can't do leather.I knew that, duh me...But yes, they warn that it might or will have to be redyed as necessary before return. As in possible color changes, etc. Black don't count. It's still black.

"Jackets are typically redyed after professional dry cleaning anyway"

oops... you are correct, I should have said when professional dry cleaners send them out for special leather cleaning. Which is what they do. They can't do leather.I knew that, duh me...But yes, they warn that it might or will have to be redyed as necessary before return. As in possible color changes, etc. Black don't count. It's still black.

no problem, I worked at 2 different drycleaners for about 5 years combined while in high school and college so I know that shit all too well :D

I always loved having to give the waiver to customers to sign for leather and they would be like oh well this is dumb I don't want to. Then when I explain to them how the jacket wasn't made from the same cow and to think how differently their skin might react to adverse conditions compared to myself, 2 totally different skin types

I'll go with Blackrock Leather Conditioner. It can be found in horse tack shops, if no where else.

A good quick substitute, is any mild soap. Just work a light lather over the entire jacket, gently scrubbing with a washcloth, and wipe it dry.

The objective is to prevent the leather from drying out and cracking.

Although I admit most people find a way to destroy a jacket long before that.

A couple of my jackets are older than I am.

Edited by ReconRat