Honest Harley Davidson Commercial

Sniper_308

yeah...the bashing gets a little old

I like all bikes...I just happen to enjoy 40's technology..I guess

I agree-- I like the old-school stuff too. My only real problems are:

a) They cost too goddamned much for what you get (compared to metrics in the same class), and

b) Yuppies in polo shirts on sportsters constantly trying to race my Shadow, and getting WTFPWNED by an 11-year-old Honda.

I'll probably end up with one eventually, though.

I agree-- I like the old-school stuff too. My only real problems are:

a) They cost too goddamned much for what you get (compared to metrics in the same class), and

b) Yuppies in polo shirts on sportsters constantly trying to race my Shadow, and getting WTFPWNED by an 11-year-old Honda.

I'll probably end up with one eventually, though.

If you look at a New Harley compared to a New Kawi, Suzuki, Honda in the same class the price diffrence is not huge. A 2010 Road King is around $16.9K.

Now, if you look at a used Harley compared to a used metric bike, the price diffrence is huge, but the Harley will hold it's value.

If you don't want to deal with HD/cruiser bashing this is the wrong forum for you.

I honestly don't think there's that much hate for HD and cruisers on this board, but if the jokes and stereotypes are funny, people repeat them (myself included).

I'm totally indifferent to HD. If I were shopping cruisers, I wouldn't give them a second look, not because I particularly dislike them, I just know they're over-priced compared to the comparable Japanese models.

I have no problem with the "old" technology HD employs. the same criticisms are lobbed at the Corvette's push-rod V8. "It's not old, it's time-tested and proven" isn't a completely moronic statement, but the price tag should reflect that lack of continued R & D on the bike.

"proven" technology should be cheaper to produce and lower in price.

my EX500 was produced up until 2009. It was a 1987 design with relatively minor modifications in 1994. I'm hardly in a position to 'throw stones' at HD for old designs, but my bike was also selling for $4900 MSRP by the end of it's production run, not $40,000...

If you look at a New Harley compared to a New Kawi, Suzuki, Honda in the same class the price diffrence is not huge. A 2010 Road King is around $16.9K.

Now, if you look at a used Harley compared to a used metric bike, the price diffrence is huge, but the Harley will hold it's value.

The harley holds its value because accountants and stock brokers are the ones buying new, and they only put 600 miles a year on them! (i kid, i kid...)

plus compare the spec sheet on a 2010 HD and a 2010 Metric cruiser. I'd like to see which is more impressive.

I honestly don't think there's that much hate for HD and cruisers on this board, but if the jokes and stereotypes are funny, people repeat them (myself included).

I'm totally indifferent to HD. If I were shopping cruisers, I wouldn't give them a second look, not because I particularly dislike them, I just know they're over-priced compared to the comparable Japanese models.

I have no problem with the "old" technology HD employs. the same criticisms are lobbed at the Corvette's push-rod V8. "It's not old, it's time-tested and proven" isn't a completely moronic statement, but the price tag should reflect that lack of continued R & D on the bike.

"proven" technology should be cheaper to produce and lower in price.

my EX500 was produced up until 2009. It was a 1987 design with relatively minor modifications in 1994. I'm hardly in a position to 'throw stones' at HD for old designs, but my bike was also selling for $4900 MSRP by the end of it's production run, not $40,000...

I think he can say that because he has a Vulcan and he posts in every single god forsaken thread anyway, so I don't think anyone took offense.

The harley holds its value because accountants and stock brokers are the ones buying new, and they only put 600 miles a year on them! (i kid, i kid...)

plus compare the spec sheet on a 2010 HD and a 2010 Metric cruiser. I'd like to see which is more impressive.

Compare, take a Road king for instance, where am I going to get everything plus more in the same class for a better price, that I can ride for 5 years and sell for 12k?

But, if I were in the market for that class of bike, why would I buy a brand new Road King for $16.9K when you can get a barely-broken-in Gold Wing for $8-12K?

I guess that's the real difference-- I don't buy brand new, so the price gap is large among the bikes I'd be likely to buy.

But, if I were in the market for that class of bike, why would I buy a brand new Road King for $16.9K when you can get a barely-broken-in Gold Wing for $8-12K?

I guess that's the real difference-- I don't buy brand new, so the price gap is large among the bikes I'd be likely to buy.

That is what I am saying, the Harley will cost more USED, but new a 2010 gold wing starts at $22,899 and a 2010 Ultra Classic starts at $20,999

2005 Goldwing bluebook $12,930

2005 ElectraGlide bluebook $14,800

That is what I am saying, the Harley will cost more USED, but new a 2010 gold wing starts at $22,899 and a 2010 Ultra Classic starts at $20,999

2005 Goldwing bluebook $12,930

2005 ElectraGlide bluebook $14,800

and how do the stat sheets compare?

subjective categories aside (let's not argue styling), which bike is superior?

when it comes to economy and acceleration, are they still comparable bikes?

2005 Goldwing: 118hp @ 5,500 RPM 123 ft-lbs. @ 4,000 RPM 792 lbs. (dry)

2005 ElectraGlide: hp not listed. 80 ft-lbs. @ 3400 RPM 731 lbs. (dry)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_gl_1800_gold_wing_2005.php and http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/harley-davidson_flhti_electra_glide_standard_2005.php

no quarter mile times or economy on that site though :(

Edited by redkow97

and how do the stat sheets compare?

subjective categories aside (let's not argue styling), which bike is superior?

when it comes to economy and acceleration, are they still comparable bikes?

2005 Goldwing: 118hp @ 5,500 RPM 123 ft-lbs. @ 4,000 RPM 792 lbs. (dry)

2005 ElectraGlide: hp not listed. 80 ft-lbs. @ 3400 RPM 731 lbs. (dry)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_gl_1800_gold_wing_2005.php and http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/harley-davidson_flhti_electra_glide_standard_2005.php

no quarter mile times or economy on that site though :(

I am only talking price, people say that a Harley is way overpriced, my only point is a new Harley is not any more expensive than a comparable bike (styling aside), but is worth more used. I am not talking about quarter mile times etc. I am talking about a bike you can tour comfortably for several years and sell for less of a loss.

I LOVE where he makes fun of how ridiculously elongated they've gotten with all their model names, 'cause I can NEVER keep track of all those letters they use & which ones are which models :dunno:

flxvhdbamfroflcopterwtfbbq

I am only talking price, people say that a Harley is way overpriced, my only point is a new Harley is not any more expensive than a comparable bike (styling aside), but is worth more used. I am not talking about quarter mile times etc. I am talking about a bike you can tour comfortably for several years and sell for less of a loss.

i guess if you're into selling bikes....

I paid 5500 for mine, and I'm never selling it. In fact, the lack of resale value is one thing that I like MORE about my bike, cause I got it for a deal, and I'm NEVER going to hit a tight spot and have to sell my bike, it's just not worth selling.

The days of HDs selling for over MSRP are over. The days of used HDs holding most of thier value are coming to an end. Simple supply and demand.

HD has produced tons of bikes since the mid 90's. Their target demographic (old fucks) are getting to the age where they can no longer ride, faster than HD is able to replace them with younger riders (read the Wall Street Journal's report on HD's financial issues). The fact is, there will be more used bikes than people willing to buy at almost new prices. Hell, this winter I saw several mint 05-07 sportsters selling for $4k-4.5k. If you are buying a new HD today, because you could always sell it and get most of your mony back, I would strongly suggest taking a closer look at the used HD market.

Edited by Tpoppa

They days of HDs selling for over MSRP are over. The days of used HDs holding most of thier value are coming to an end. Simple supply and demand.

HD has produced tons of bikes since the mid 90's. Their target demographic (old fucks) are getting to the age where they can no longer ride, faster than HD is able to replace them with younger riders (read the Wall Street Journal's report on HD's financial issues). The fact is, there will be more used bikes than people willing to buy at almost new prices. Hell, this winter I saw several mint 05-07 sportsters selling for $4k-4.5k. If you are buying a new HD today, because you could always sell it and get most of your mony back, I would strongly suggest taking a closer look at the used HD market.

Who do you know that has purchased a Harley over MSRP? I know the stories are out there, but I have owned several and have never paid over MSRP.

We will see IF used Harleys stop holding value, but as of now you are not stating any facts at all, it's just an opinion on what could happen. Yes, everyone has taken a hit from the recession, but Harley is not going out of business.

A 2005 Sportster started at $6,495, so $4,500 is not bad for a 5 year old bike.

Who do you know that has purchased a Harley over MSRP? I know the stories are out there, but I have owned several and have never paid over MSRP.

We will see IF used Harleys stop holding value, but as of now you are not stating any facts at all, it's just an opinion on what could happen. Yes, everyone has taken a hit from the recession, but Harley is not going out of business.

A 2005 Sportster started at $6,495, so $4,500 is not bad for a 5 year old bike.

2007's were going for $4,500, over the winter that was a 2 year old bike...

I never said HD would go out of business. I expect the number of new HD's sold to steadily decline. It's a well known fact that their demographic is aging, and they do not have a grip on younger riders. This has absolutely nothing to do with recession. Do a Google search, there are plenty of articles by industry insiders and market analysts.

http://dalefranks.com/cycles/index.php/2009/08/a-rare-tactical-mistake-an-ongoing-strategic-problem/