Gresham man arrested after allegedly shooting at phone thieves

Disclaimer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shooting at tires for an iphone is just out right stupid...as red would say" YOU'RE A DUMB ASS "

if someone breaks in my house and i see him reach in his waist band...yep...i'm in fear of my life...a dead man tells no tales

but to shoot over a freaking cell phone...is unbelievable. what a black eye is gave the rest of us normal ccw permit holders.

If someone is climbing in your window at 2:00am, shoot that motherfucker. plain and simple.

i think this is all misunderstood. The Castle Doctrine changed the "duty to retreat" clause...

For all law-abiding citizens (Not just gun owners)

• Castle Doctrine: If someone breaks into your occupied home or temporary habitation, or your occupied car, you have an initial presumption that you may act in self defense. The prosecutors may overcome this presumption if illegal activity was happening or other extenuating circumstances, such as a husband and wife domestic violence situation.
  • Civil Immunity: Crime victims will be immune from civil actions from their attackers and their families for actions that cause a criminal to be harmed or killed.PROBLEM SOLVED: Previously, it was up to YOU, AT YOUR EXPENSE AND UNDER THREAT OF IMPRISONMENT, (and sometimes while actually imprisoned) to prove you were acting in self-defense. Now, when the Act becomes law, and as long as there are not any extenuating circumstances, the case ENDS and the healing begins. No hauling off to jail. No worries about criminal trial and the whims of a jury. No civil suit from the bad guy’s family.
  • Duty to Retreat: A person who is lawfully in their residence or vehicle has no "duty to retreat" before using force in self-defense or defense of another.PROBLEM SOLVED: Previously in a motor vehicle, the actor, not the prosecutor, at the actor’s own jeopardy and expense, had the burden of proof to establish that they could not run away.

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ACT BEFORE COMMENTING. THANKS

http://buckeyefirearms.org/publicfiles/127_SB_184_EN_N.pdf

Edited by curby

Yes, even if it's your dog.

The only time you are allowed to fire your weapon in self-defense is if the situation meets the three qualifications.

1) You didn't cause the situation

2) You've met your duty to retreat from the situation (exception: You're already in your home, or vehicle -- see Castle Doctrine (varies from state to state))

3) You perceived that your life was in danger of mortal harm ("You" in this case is yourself or your immediate family)

So, if your house is burglarized and the burglar is unarmed and doesn't come near you or your kids or your SO, but stays in the front room and steals your laptop... legally, you don't have any grounds to shoot and kill the burglar.

To enhance/expand Justin's 3 points:

1) you cannot initiate the confrontation: I see Justin walking down the street and I draw my weapon. Not allowed.

2) you cannot escalate the confrontation: Justin slaps me, I draw my weapon. Not allowed (Am I <truly> in fear for my life at this point? No. Mad? Yes.)

3) you cannot prolong the confrontation: Justin slaps me, then turns around and walks or runs away. I am not allowed to draw my weapon.

Note: Even though I may not always agree with Justin, I'm not gonna draw on him. I may rest my hand on my side, on top of my BladeTech IWB, though... Just to keep him in line, of course....;)

Note: Even though I may not always agree with Justin, I'm not gonna draw on him. I may rest my hand on my side, on top of my BladeTech IWB, though... Just to keep him in line, of course....;)

You know you want to shoot him... :D

To enhance/expand jblosser's 3 points:

1) you cannot initiate the confrontation: I see Justin walking down the street, into my yard, attempting to open my bedroom window. allowed.

2) you cannot escalate the confrontation: Justin slaps me, in my bed, uninvited at 3 am. I am allowed to draw my weapon.

3) you cannot prolong the confrontation: Justin just won't leave and keeps trying to touch my junk. I am allowed to draw my weapon.

:)

You know you want to shoot him... :D

Nope. Don't want to shoot anyone, but if my son's life is in danger, I'll take care of it - assuming Charlie the Wonder Dog doesn't do it for me. You should see him at the dog park: He's the canine Chuck Norris if another dog messes with Jr. Best dog ever. Dumb as a sack of hammers, but guards the boy and the estate just fine. If a burglar comes to my house dressed as a deer, the burglar will be "dead by dog".

Sorry, back on topic now..

:)To enhance/expand Curby's 3 points:

1) you cannot initiate the confrontation: I see Justin walking down the street, into my yard, attempting to open my bedroom window. allowed.

2) you cannot escalate the confrontation: Justin slaps me, in my bed, uninvited at 3 am. I am allowed to draw my weapon.

3) you cannot prolong the confrontation: Justin just won't leave and keeps trying to touch my junk. I am allowed to draw my weapon.

1) window's already open - trying to stave off turning on the a/c and the attendant $300+ electrical bills.

2) we were role playing - the slap was part of it - and my "weapon" is already out...

3) no happy ending for me? dammitall.

4) I see Curby: I am allowed to empty all 18 on him, drop the mag, reload...:D

note: All of the above is conjecture only. I am a lesbian and have been one all my life. Don't hate, I was born that way, nothing I can do about it. :lol: