2012 GSX-R1000 revamped?

NinjaNick

Anti-wheelie? ......Um, wouldn't that waste the power because it would have to tone the motor down right? Which would make it slow right? I don't see how this anti-wheelie thing would work. A fast machine just does that and doesn't need toned down. IDK, what's your opinions?

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/no-new-gsx-r1000-in-2011-but-2012-model-will-be-amazing/11749.html

Edited by NinjaNick

on the bmw it is somewhat linked into the same system, with the idea that you have more control with the front wheel on the ground. it could be disabled by switching to track mode but they found it did not make a significant difference in lap times. sport rider did a good write up on the different power modes and what they limit.

Yea sport rider did a great write up. This wheelie controll is not really for launching or starts. Its for high speed corner exits and other tricky road course turns/hills. If ur lifting the front your not gaining as much speed as possible so the trac controll keeps it down for you so u can really hammer it without worry. The BMW is a sick bike for sure!

The idea on wheelie control is based on the fact that with a ton of power to the ground, it is going to wheelie at times in a serious fashion with a ham fisted approach. Yes, two wheels down is faster than one, but it is not going to limit power wheelies.

It's somewhat like a bank sensor where it will understand the angle of sorts and base it with the throttle input, RPMs, speed, etc and control it. So many things operating at milliseconds and faster to judge what is going on with the bike and making sure you have as much power down efficiently as possible...

The thing is that a wheelie control device is only there to help you keep the bike going forward as best as possible. W/O it, the bike isn't going to be as effective and will be harder to ride fast.

Today, the features they are putting on bikes make them easier to ride. Electronics help with that. Of course, the added benefit is that they can use that technology in a race setting as if the bike comes stock with it, they can race with it as many racing series do not allow any electronics like traction control unless they come stock on a bike. Those stock features can then be tuned to be as good as possible.

For example, my traction control is better aftermarket than the stock setup. Mapped out and used as a tool depending on the situation makes the bike different than as stock.

More people can ride these 1000s easier than ever before. It used to be that these never had such things and were even tougher to ride. Heavier, tougher to ride and somewhat rough around th edges. Now, easier, but to ride fast, they take a LOT of skill and aren't as easy as people think...

Yea sport rider did a great write up. This wheelie controll is not really for launching or starts. Its for high speed corner exits and other tricky road course turns/hills. If ur lifting the front your not gaining as much speed as possible so the trac controll keeps it down for you so u can really hammer it without worry. The BMW is a sick bike for sure!
The idea on wheelie control is based on the fact that with a ton of power to the ground, it is going to wheelie at times in a serious fashion with a ham fisted approach. Yes, two wheels down is faster than one, but it is not going to limit power wheelies.

It's somewhat like a bank sensor where it will understand the angle of sorts and base it with the throttle input, RPMs, speed, etc and control it. So many things operating at milliseconds and faster to judge what is going on with the bike and making sure you have as much power down efficiently as possible...

The thing is that a wheelie control device is only there to help you keep the bike going forward as best as possible. W/O it, the bike isn't going to be as effective and will be harder to ride fast.

Today, the features they are putting on bikes make them easier to ride. Electronics help with that. Of course, the added benefit is that they can use that technology in a race setting as if the bike comes stock with it, they can race with it as many racing series do not allow any electronics like traction control unless they come stock on a bike. Those stock features can then be tuned to be as good as possible.

For example, my traction control is better aftermarket than the stock setup. Mapped out and used as a tool depending on the situation makes the bike different than as stock.

More people can ride these 1000s easier than ever before. It used to be that these never had such things and were even tougher to ride. Heavier, tougher to ride and somewhat rough around th edges. Now, easier, but to ride fast, they take a LOT of skill and aren't as easy as people think...

To both of you - Say your at 100mph coming out of a corner and then the surface drops down which makes your bike hit the air. What does this feature do? Wouldn't it have to shut-off power, which would slow you down unwillingly?

I don't know how it would work, so yes, I'm seriously asking.

To both of you - Say your at 100mph coming out of a corner and then the surface drops down which makes your bike hit the air. What does this feature do? Wouldn't it have to shut-off power, which would slow you down unwillingly?

the way they described the bmw unit, it would depend on the power mode the bike was in and the amount of time the front wheel was off the ground. In the more aggressive power modes it allowed the bike to wheelie for a short amount of time before limiting the power enough to get the front wheel back on the ground.

edit- got interested and checked out what they are saying on the bmw forums. the link below has some decent info on what you could describe as flaws to this setup and what the workarounds are.

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/1183-how-you-guys-getting-anti-wheelie.html

Edited by obesityrules

Let's look at your scenario first. If the ground drops, it isn't wheelying. The bike doesn't change level. I suspect that there is a sensor that indicates that the front raises above "level" to a certain degree to which then tells the engine mgmt system to cut the motor to slow the rear wheel ever so quickly that you won't really even notice a lot...Dulls the engine speed to lower the front, but not slam it down...

My bike doesn't have a wheelie control, but has traction control. If I run it on the "B" setting, I can come out of a corner, wheelie and actually spin the rear. As it spins, it cuts out ever so slightly. Almost feels like the motor misses slightly. Really quick, but enough to drop the front quickly as it is reducing power to the rear wheel, right? So the front drops somewhat fast...

Traction and wheelie control is something that doesn't stop the forward drive, but many quick pulses that reduce the power delivery. They are so fast that they really don't cause issue because you'd be losing more speed and forward progress spinning and wheelying... With control, it does slow, but not as much as if w/o... Make sense?