Top competitors to replace Police Crown Vic

chevysoldier

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/5-new-cop-cars

Ford plans to close the Canadian factory that produces the Ford Crown Victoria in 2011, spelling the end of production for America's most ubiquitous police car (Crown Vics currently account for approximately three-quarters of all law enforcement fleets). So what will replace it? Several companies are poised to take a bite out of crime, as well as the annual sales market of 65,000 to 75,000 vehicles. The following presents a handful of arresting options. (Note: This compilation does not specify standard features or options, which can include light bars, push bumpers, two-way radios, firearm lockers, high-output alternators, radar guns, spotlights, video cameras, and all the assorted extra equipment that can easily inflate the price of a police car beyond the $70,000 range.)

Carbon-Motors-E7-police_car_500_0410.jpg

2011-Chevrolet-Caprice-police_car_500_0410.jpg

2009-Dodge-Charger-police_car_500_0410.jpg

2012-Ford-Police-Interceptor_500_0410-de.jpg

I think the Carbon Motors "thing" will never get off the ground. The Impala is front wheel drive...proven the drivetrain won't hold up. The Dodge POS has very little interior room, and comes with the added "bonus" of Chrysler reliability....which sux.

. I don't know about Ford's Taraus replacement for the Crown Vic......I'm no Ford lover, but the Crown Vics have made me a believer in them anyway.....

131393d1235923030-anybody-know-what-cage-oklahoma-state-police-busa.jpg

They should just all get Police Busas. LOL. jk.

On a serious note, the Taurus would probably be the most attractive replacement -granted, a twin turbo would get expensive to maintain, and severely inhibit the life expectancy of the power-plant and drivetrain.

Police Impalas would be good choices as well. The whole front wheel drive not lasting as long kick is inaccurate.

I see more and more Chargers popping up as well. They seem to be the car of choice in my area (I recently got a ticket by the brand new car less than a month ago...).

Scroll down the page and check it out.

http://www.brunswick.oh.us/Police/divisionofpolice.html

The Taraus will have an all wheel drive option also.........I don't think the twin turbo thing will hold up, because of the heat generated from the turbo's with sustained idle time etc....

131393d1235923030-anybody-know-what-cage-oklahoma-state-police-busa.jpg

They should just all get Police Busas. LOL. jk.

On a serious note, the Taurus would probably be the most attractive replacement -granted, a twin turbo would get expensive to maintain, and severely inhibit the life expectancy of the power-plant and drivetrain.

Police Impalas would be good choices as well. The whole front wheel drive not lasting as long kick is inaccurate.

I see more and more Chargers popping up as well. They seem to be the car of choice in my area (I recently got a ticket by the brand new car less than a month ago...).

Scroll down the page and check it out.

http://www.brunswick.oh.us/Police/divisionofpolice.html

I've ridden with the guy that rides that bike ;)

I've ridden with the guy that rides that bike ;)

Wouldn't THAT be a bloody dream... to ride a Hayabusa all day and get PAID for it. Damn sexy. I wanted one before I got my Duc. Everyone made fun of me for liking them so much. Almost got one anyways except it was about 1200 over my maximum (and the insurance-forget it). So I got my little Duc instead.

I'll have my Busa someday. IDK what it is about them, but I really really like them. NOT the urban molested Busas you see in the movies. The true blue ones. Tastefully modified is OK. :)

:p

Wouldn't THAT be a bloody dream... to ride a Hayabusa all day and get PAID for it. Damn sexy. I wanted one before I got my Duc. Everyone made fun of me for liking them so much. Almost got one anyways except it was about 1200 over my maximum (and the insurance-forget it). So I got my little Duc instead.

I'll have my Busa someday. IDK what it is about them, but I really really like them. NOT the urban molested Busas you see in the movies. The true blue ones. Tastefully modified is OK. :)

:p

He's got an 08 that he rides for his pesonal bike. He can ride VERY well

My friend Junior had one of those as his daily driver in high school. LOL. He bought an EVO back when they didn't suck-had the Festiva left over. We whooped on that poor thing and gave her all she was worth. Couldn't bust it. Mazda builds a hell of a car. LOL

The Taraus will have an all wheel drive option also.........I don't think the twin turbo thing will hold up, because of the heat generated from the turbo's with sustained idle time etc....

huh?? heat generated by the turbo is completely dependent on engine load. How is it semi's can idle all night?

My friend Junior had one of those as his daily driver in high school. LOL. He bought an EVO back when they didn't suck-had the Festiva left over. We whooped on that poor thing and gave her all she was worth. Couldn't bust it. Mazda builds a hell of a car. LOL

I've been working at a used car lot and I'm really getting sick of hearing people say things like this.

all of the honda's toyota's mazda's and nissans have just as many and often more problems than any american cars do. and the parts to fix them cost more.

this belief these brands of cars are better is false. we work on just as many broken parts on these brands of cars as any brand.

I've been working at a used car lot and I'm really getting sick of hearing people say things like this.

all of the honda's toyota's mazda's and nissans have just as many and often more problems than any american cars do. and the parts to fix them cost more.

this belief these brands of cars are better is false. we work on just as many broken parts on these brands of cars as any brand.

Yup. It's why my "bulletproof" Lexus is for sale, and has been replaced by a Chevy.

speaking of a lexus. call autozone or advance auto parts and see how much a "rebuilt" a/c compressor is for a 2002 lexus IS300 is.

I'll tell you but you won't believe me, it's $1500. you know how much my 1997 gmc sonoma cost? $250. I could buy a rebuilt engine for my sonoma for $1500. you can only buy a AC compressor for a lexus LOL

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=A/C+Compressor&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Climate+Control&navValue=15200082&itemId=82-0&parentId=52-0

Edited by serpentracer

I believe it. I spent that much for catalytic converters on it a few months back. Only because I hated having the CEL on. Parts that aren't camry interchangeable are ridiculously overpriced.

speaking of a lexus. call autozone or advance auto parts and see how much a "rebuilt" a/c compressor is for a 2002 lexus IS300 is.

I'll tell you but you won't believe me, it's $1500. you know how much my 1997 gmc sonoma cost? $250. I could buy a rebuilt engine for my sonoma for $1500. you can only buy a AC compressor for a lexus LOL

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=A/C+Compressor&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Climate+Control&navValue=15200082&itemId=82-0&parentId=52-0

Yup. It's why my "bulletproof" Lexus is for sale, and has been replaced by a Chevy.

I completely agree "American" cars will last just as long if not longer than any jap piece of crap(im speaking solely on the cars,we all know americans dont make a good bike)Im an ex General Motors worker and maybe Im bias to american cars but people who say their Honda will last so much longer than a GM or Ford really pisses me off.Any car can last 200,000 miles if you do the normal maintenance.And the fact that it isn't going to cost you your next born child when something does break on an American made car just makes it that much better,again that my opinion but I also think that there is some truth to it.

I've seen several police chargers, many ford escapes, a few camaros (mostly state police in georgia), and a few impalas..

charger certainly seems to be the favorite for now.

Theres Camaro police cars? Where the hell are they gonna put the bad guys when they get arrested theres not much of a back seat haha

I think the Carbon Motors "thing" will never get off the

ground. The Impala is front wheel drive...proven the drivetrain won't hold up. The Dodge POS has very little interior room, and comes with the added "bonus" of Chrysler reliability....which sux.

. I don't know about Ford's Taraus replacement for the Crown Vic......I'm no Ford lover, but the Crown Vics have made me a believer in them anyway.....

1. That is not an Impala and it's not FWD. It's a Holden Calais rebadged as a Chevy Caprice (take note of G8 headlights). It's RWD with a 6.0L DOD V8.

2. The SHO's exhaust will flow properly and the turbos won't actually get very heated until you have a load on the engine.

Theres Camaro police cars? Where the hell are they gonna put the bad guys when they get arrested theres not much of a back seat haha

They're interceptors. Only for chasing down faster vehicles. Texas has a shit ton of them.

Whatever that top car/pic is..... Pretty slick how they integrated the lights right into the roof, so there's no "bubbles" profile from a distance

Very stealthy

Whatever that top car/pic is..... Pretty slick how they integrated the lights right into the roof, so there's no "bubbles" profile from a distance

Very stealthy

I don't recall if it was the same company (Carbon motors), but there was an article in Motor Trend last year, and again more recently, about a company who plans to make purpose-built police cars. that's it. no civilian vehicles.

The theory is:

- a purpose-built vehicle is better from the start. there are no consumer considerations built into the design.

- it might cost a bit more to buy, but there's ZERO retrofitting of lights, radios, laptops, etc., so it's actually cheaper.

- the company will be experts at what they do, because it's ALL they do.

- the company BUYS BACK every vehicle after 100,000 miles (or something) and refurbishes the vehicle before selling it back to some other Police department.

I actually think it's a pretty strong business model. And if they can package in 100% of parts and maintenance on the vehicles for a flat or 'subscription' fee, how could the PD say no?

basically the cops would be leasing their vehicles from the manufacturer. I like it. If they lay off staff, they stop paying for the car(s) they no longer need, and save money. Owning a vehicle isn't a good investment when you beat on them as hard as cops do.

Edited by redkow97

SRSLY?? Why do forced induction cars not come with timers?

Owners are too dumb. They'd think there's something wrong.

I had an 89 Ford Probe GT Turbo that I'd always beat the piss out of but then let it sit and idle for like 3-5 minutes. Always got shit for holding things up. Whatever. Turbo never failed.