R6 - 0 : Gravity - 1

demitrix

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats the thing, there is no mechanical damage to the bike. I've been looking over the estimate and many parts are uncalled for, such as a new tank which adds $1000 itself, they want to buy me a new Yosh RS-3, new passenger seat and pegs, a new front wheel and rear swing arm. Im not sure if this is standard procedure for things like this but it seems absurd to me they are replacing many of the parts they have listed.

I have the ability to take the bike to another shop where they will let basically build my own estimate. I dont know whether it would be better to total the bike and get back as much cash as possible and a salvage title, or it make my own estimate at a lower price, still risk totaling or selling myself short, but keep the clean title.

Ill post up scan of the estimate later today.

if you are confident in the bike's condition, let them total it and write you a check for the amount (there is some bartering on what a proper amount is for your bike). then, barter on the buyback price of your bike.

the buy back price has everything to do with what a shitty condition your bike is currently in, not what the market demand is like. just tell them that given the frame, forks, swingarm, etc etc etc are all ruined, you're essentially using it for nuts and bolts (lol)

seriously though.

What a mess...heard back from my insurance, bikes totalled and I'm getting back $3200 if let them keep it and $2400 if I get the bike back. The handler said that it takes 6-8 weeks for the state to do a rebuilt title inspection...anyone have any experience?

Yeah. I went through it last year. Not hard as long as you follow what needed. I would suggest streetfightering it and then have it inspected. Or if the plastics aren't too bad fix them but don't finish the paint and photo document the steps you took to fix them as you won't have receipts. After retitled you can buy stolen parts all day. JK. :D

Can you fix the bike for less than $2400? If so, then do it. You don't have to fix everything they said needed replaced, just the stuff to make it street-legal. For insurance quotes, shops have to REPLACE everything that is damaged at all. For example, if the paint is scuffed, they have to replace it, not just buff it out.

I've never heard of an inspection taking 6-8 weeks. Usually, once you get everything fixed, you take it down to an inspection station (you can find a list at the BMV website), they look it over, and then give you an approval form that lets you go to the title office and pick up your title. AFAIK, it can all be done the same day, much the same way they inspect out-of-state vehicles in order to issue an Ohio title.

With any luck, you could fix your bike cheap enough and then have a few hundred bucks left over for some gear.

wait, was the bike paid for, or was there a lien that's being paid off? i'm guessing you owe at least a few grand on it based on the offer they made you.

either way, the bike's buy back is $800... if you're sure that the frame, forks, swingarm, and engine are good, then you should prolly buy it back, dump a few hundred bucks into it and have a working bike that is paid off... but now has a salvage title.

did you "barter" on the market value of the bike?

I can tell you with certainty that if you call Franklin County, which is closest, when you call to schedule an appointment the day THEY give you will be 30 days out. You CAN ride it to the inspection with no plate. You MUST have your inspection paper with you when you do. They will mail it out after they get all your info and the date is set.

I just did all this last summer.

The bike was paid off, the market value as they calculated it was something like 3840 I believe the guy said so they took out my deductible and shit and it ends up $3200, which is what i paid for the bike so im not at all upset about that. The bike can be made road worthy for <$100 leaving plenty over for gear/goodies. Plus i cant seem to find another deal like that. lot of craiglists ads asking outrageous prices for the same bike. I'm thinkin i will most likely go with buying back the bike. I just dont feel like having to wait two months for them to see if my horn and turn signals work.

Since I'm gonna be purchasing my new fairing stay off ebay and its a third party manufacturer i wont have a source VIN. Will there be any issue with that?

Don't put fairings on until after you get the title. I think if you have a receipt from an aftermarket vendor then your good but someone who's been through it should verify that statement. I would check the r6 forums for a reputable dealer that sells aftermarket fairings and not the eBay ones that don't for right and melt from exhaust heat.