HID's on the 954

Ghost954rr

I've been putting off doing this because of the cost, but I got a smokin' deal on 4 bulbs and ballasts. Haven't been able to ride in the evening thanks to all the thunderstorms, so I don't have an opinion on operation. As far as looks go, they're killer!

30449_1301051328264_1289873832_30689443_8237131_n.jpg

They only pull 35watts each. No need for heavy wiring. I only used three bulbs. The low beam cuts off low enough to not blind people, but yes, the high beams would scorch your retinas.

No. After the ballasts are topped off they do. Upon initial load, they pull up to 30AMPs per ballast.

soooo.... 30*4 is ...120A!!!!!!

Thats if you start it with the all the HIDs capping

:rolleyes:

^^ If that's true, why isn't it blowing my 20 amp fuse when I flip on the high beams? or all of them when I turn the key on??

The factory harness is rated at 20 amps.

They may not actually be pulling 30A a piece. They can pull up to 30A (usually its around 12-17A) Either way. They draw that much. See what the voltage drop is over your battery when you turn the ignition with the lights on before ignition of the starter.

Eventually, unless you run it to full charge, your ballasts will start to abort the charging cycle and shut off. That happens when your battery cannot supply enough current to feed them.

Thanks. I'll check it all out. so far no problem, but those electrical gremlins are sneaky. If I need to, I can run them through relays and heavier wires. I can always have my stator rebuilt to supply more current to the battery if that becomes a problem.

As far as heat output goes. xenon bulbs run cooler than halogen.

Edited by Ghost954rr

I'm ordering the DDM 35w kits for mine and it will be 4 bulbs talked to several people on zx14 boards that run them with no issues at all.... my stock bulbs are 55/65 and everything I've read says HID's pull less than halogen so wiring shouldn't ever be effected

I'm ordering the DDM 35w kits for mine and it will be 4 bulbs talked to several people on zx14 boards that run them with no issues at all.... my stock bulbs are 55/65 and everything I've read says HID's pull less than halogen so wiring shouldn't ever be effected

I'd really suggest not doing HID highs. Hell, you probably won't even use the highs with HID lows. Save your money. And, if you do ever want them, just a purchase away.