Engine Rebuild... to make chrome happy

flounder

Ok so to make chrome happy, I will pull my shit from his thread and put it here so Background.. I recently purchased a 2002 YZ250-2stoke dirtbike. Well, not all that long ago I stopped to clean my goggles and had the bike in neutral.. well I gave it a decent rev to help keep from fouling the plug and it felt like it slipped into gear. It pretty much stalled instantly. Well after I start it back up and take off, I notice that it wouldn’t let me downshift down to 1st.. pretty much sure I started out in second, grabbed a handful of clutch and tried to downshift and the tire locked up instantly with the clutch engaged, I upshift quickly and based on the way its running, it feels like Im in third. I try downshifting again and the same thing happens.. WTF. So I shut her down and evaluate. Bike is now off, I can squeeze the clutch and shift through the gears by rolling the bike but only in one of the gears can I actually roll the bike with the clutch engaged.. all the other gears even with the clutch engaged causes the tire to be locked up. For the one gear I can roll while squeezing the clutch, if I release the clutch, the tire will lock up as well so I know that Im not in neutral. Not sure what is going on now.. so I get back on start her up,, manage to find a gear that will let me at least ride it back to the truck to load it but if I downshift, it locks up.. Feels like I can only start out riding it in 3rd. Also, I couldn't seem to find neutral anymore.

So I decide, Heres my chance at tearing apart an engine since Im damn sure not paying someone to do it since it would cost more then I paid for the damn bike. Anyway, once I got it apart, and I do mean apart. I found that what appears to have happened was the oil port in the axle shaft got clogged and basically welded the 5th pinion gear to the shaft. I have to give props to Lizard from here for helping me out and getting me a good deal on parts. I really appreciate it, thanks again. PS. Im still going to kick you in the"bunny nuggets"

On with the pics.

1Original.jpg

2bikeWsubframeandtankremoved.jpg

3bikewEngineremoved.jpg

4engineInBasement.jpg

cluthwPlatesremoved

5cluthwPlatesremoved.jpg

clutchwBossandBasketremoved

6clutchwBossandBasketremoved.jpg

clutchsidehousingremoved

7clutchsidehousingremoved.jpg

noCylinder

8noCylinder.jpg

sideshotwithGears

9sideshotwithGears.jpg

sideshotNOGears

10sideshotNOGears.jpg

SplitCase

11SplitCase.jpg

ViewofTransmissionandcrank

12ViewofTransmissionandcrank.jpg

Shiftdrumforksandbadtransshaftrem

13Shiftdrumforksandbadtransshaftrem.jpg

Badshaftand5thpinion

14Badshaftand5thpinion.jpg

tearingapartbadshaftandgears

15tearingapartbadshaftandgears.jpg

took about 20tons of pressure to remove this gear (2nd from left, first set of teeth is machined as part of shaft, Basically dead middle of pic... the gear basically welded itself to the shaft.

15-2.jpg

Well tonight I tightened the flywheel weight and got her started. Runs just fine. Took her down the alley and clutch worked great and the gears shifted just fine.. Also doesnt appear to be any leaks at this point..

yeeeeaaaaaahhh go me..

THE DIRT BEAST LIVES.. :metal:

now just to see for how much longer.

Im in.... Sunday... Lowes.... weather says 58 with thunderstorms and I dont give a shit.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/43212?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

if ur talking about lowes out off S High st watch ridin back there.. early this year me, sam with the yellow vette, sonny, jeff green that had the long black busa from toca bell, and brandon from columbusracing that had the turbo busa was riding behind there and jeff and brandon got stoped while being in the woods and got treaspassing tickets i dont know what brandon got out of it but it cost jeff green at least $700

if ur talking about lowes out off S High st watch ridin back there.. early this year me, sam with the yellow vette, sonny, jeff green that had the long black busa from toca bell, and brandon from columbusracing that had the turbo busa was riding behind there and jeff and brandon got stoped while being in the woods and got treaspassing tickets i dont know what brandon got out of it but it cost jeff green at least $700

No shit.... Guess I might just head out to the other spot of which the name will not be mentioned...

How the hell did they get stopped back in the woods?? Cops really cant get back there in a car... Did your friends happen to venture onto Shelley Quary property... What were they riding??

It's boring as fack now anyways....I'll go though, if others want to. My CR has roost boost.

Roost boost please... you got a bigger sprocket and a nice shiney bling bling silencer...

Putty,, you wanna hit the "other" place up assuming we still can?

No shit.... Guess I might just head out to the other spot of which the name will not be mentioned...

How the hell did they get stopped back in the woods?? Cops really cant get back there in a car... Did your friends happen to venture onto Shelley Quary property... What were they riding??

i was on a ltz 400 ..... but they didnt think they was going to get tickets so they stoped and if they ran they would of had to make it to the truck and loaded up befor they got them. jeff was on a 450r honda so he could of got away... they was on the band of the river behind wal-mart if u know where im talking about

i was on a ltz 400 ..... but they didnt think they was going to get tickets so they stoped and if they ran they would of had to make it to the truck and loaded up befor they got them. jeff was on a 450r honda so he could of got away... they was on the band of the river behind wal-mart if u know where im talking about

I understand where you were, Im just having a hard time seeing how you got tickets. Did a copy actually drive their car back in there?

I understand where you were, Im just having a hard time seeing how you got tickets. Did a copy actually drive their car back in there?

nope on foot the farmer was mad about people playin in his bean field and had them out there

p.s i meant bank and not band in my last post:lol:

Roost boost please... you got a bigger sprocket and a nice shiney bling bling silencer...

Putty,, you wanna hit the "other" place up assuming we still can?

I don't tell you everything....before your time....

The "Roost Boost" by Answer Products was an electronic device put in the

electrical wiring before the spark plug. It was supposed to reshape the

charge and change its ignition timing so as to provide a boost in power by

making a cleaner and faster burn in the cylinder.

I thought you were just joking around, I didnt realize you actually meant one of those little things. PS... send your Roost Boost Back... They used to work on the older 2 strokes but really no difference now from some of the things Ive read.. Could be wrong though.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=22019

Waste of money. Jet the bike and get the needle correct and you can gain as much.

2 strokes are really more prone to power gains from fresh plugs, good reeds, good jetting and carb set-up, good oil, messing with oil/fuel mixtures, and engine builds (i.e. cylinder work, etc..)

Electronic gizmos ain't going to give you shit. Maybe a scotch better response, but it will be mentally faster than actually faster...