Anyone help with a new clutch cable tonight?

BeastieSSSC

My clutch cable is half trashed at 6 years, 23,000 miles. I'll be buying a new one before it breaks. Mostly because it's getting hard to pull and it's half way stretched. A new cable is 20 bucks. A lube kit is 20 bucks.

edit: oops, that's 8 years... and I mean buy the cable and skip the lube kit. Although I would shoot some lube into even a new cable, if I could.

Edited by ReconRat

My clutch cable is half trashed at 6 years, 23,000 miles. I'll be buying a new one before it breaks. Mostly because it's getting hard to pull and it's half way stretched. A new cable is 20 bucks. A lube kit is 20 bucks.

edit: oops, that's 8 years... and I mean buy the cable and skip the lube kit. Although I would shoot some lube into even a new cable, if I could.

You had better get one soon, after talking about it for a couple days now, it WILL break right before you get the new one! :eek:

You had better get one soon, after talking about it for a couple days now, it WILL break right before you get the new one! :eek:

I just cranked out the adjuster tonight, at the clutch box. First time. Ran out of adjustment at the clutch lever. Past experience says two things. It will break soon enough, and the new cable will be really smooth pull. No reasons to wait. I'll order cable and misc parts this weekend. And the stupid right front turn signal held on with electrical tape and scotch tape.

This is what I've been using for cable lube:

http://www.google.com/products?q=dri+slide+bike+aid&hl=en&aq=f

Good choice. Molybdenum-disulfide is similar to graphite, it will spread down the cable easily.

edit: it's not on the Iron Pony website, argh... where are you buying it locally?

Edited by ReconRat

Good choice. Molybdenum-disulfide is similar to graphite, it will spread down the cable easily.

edit: it's not on the Iron Pony website, argh... where are you buying it locally?

I got it from Iron Pony about a year ago. I don't know why they don't have it on their website. :dunno: