firefox users, check this out

Steve Butters

Use Lynx to browse you gui-using wusses... Need to search? Archie. Need to get something? Wget or Finger. :lol:

The problem I have with FF started with v3.5 - it just takes waaaay too long for the initial load of the browser. Once it's up and running it's fine.

I config'ed the settings from the article, but honestly can't tell if they did anything. It's certainly not slower, at least.

The problem I have with FF started with v3.5 - it just takes waaaay too long for the initial load of the browser.

i counted 3 seconds from when i clicked the icon to when my homepage was fully loaded....if 3 seconds is "waaaay too long" then youre impatient as fuck lol

i counted 3 seconds from when i clicked the icon to when my homepage was fully loaded....if 3 seconds is "waaaay too long" then youre impatient as fuck lol

A lot slower (8 seconds or so) on my laptop; twice as long as Chrome when I boot in into Win7, and the same result into Linux. Loads up a little better on Jr.'s netbook, and no discernible difference on the Core2 quad desktop machine.

Not really "impatient as fuck"; just when I'm on my laptop (which is 90%+ of the time at home) and I have a choice I choose the faster loading prog, which in my case is Chrome.

A lot slower (8 seconds or so) on my laptop; twice as long as Chrome when I boot in into Win7, and the same result into Linux. Loads up a little better on Jr.'s netbook, and no discernible difference on the Core2 quad desktop machine.

Not really "impatient as fuck"; just when I'm on my laptop (which is 90%+ of the time at home) and I have a choice I choose the faster loading prog, which in my case is Chrome.

im on a laptop too....maybe yours is just a failtop :p

OK, you win, sorta.

Fresh (8 day) old install of Win7 Pro, fully patched, on a new 4GB, Core 2 Duo lapper.

With no extensions, from click to ready-to-use was <roughly> half a second.

Once I get this one dual booted (my current distro is in beta 2 of their next release) I'll repeat in Linux.

So, maybe it was the year old install, or the 800 extensions I load, or the old(er) machine, but this one loads fine. Now I'll need to use FF for a week and then apply those tweaks and see if they make any difference.

Still like Chrome (and Iceweasel). No IE except when using ILO to get into a server or using the web-based console for BlackBerry servers - both of those jems insist that you use IE...

you know what's funny? FF is a slow somebitch in linux. I mean dial up slow. it's pathetic.

which is why I've been using opera with linux. I still think IE8 is far better than FF for windows.

FF always stops loading pages for a few seconds. it hangs on all the damn ads on forums etc.

It litterally takes 9+ seconds to load a page on a normal forum like this one.

IE8 and opera, about 2.5 seconds

I've also tested IE8 VS FF in a security scenerio. IE8 stopped all the attacks FF let most of them through.

the ones FF let through microsoft security essentials stopped from loading/installing.

I honestly don't understand where everyone gets FF is so great. (having a few computers to test stuff is great)

Edited by serpentracer

you know what's funny? FF is a slow somebitch in linux. I mean dial up slow. it's pathetic.

which is why I've been using opera with linux. I still think IE8 is far better than FF for windows.

FF always stops loading pages for a few seconds. it hangs on all the damn ads on forums etc.

It litterally takes 9+ seconds to load a page on a normal forum like this one.

IE8 and opera, about 2.5 seconds

youre doing something wrong...i havent seen an ad in years lol... adblock, and noscript are necessary addons for FF.

and my pages load instantly after this mod in the thread title (and not too much slower before that)....maybe your computer was having software issues with the FF, no idea

IE always takes forever to load pages...i can open IE, minimize the box, load up firefox, and go to my favorite tabs and click OR and this site will fully load before my homepage is even loaded all the way on IE

youre doing something wrong...i havent seen an ad in years lol... adblock, and noscript are necessary addons for FF.

and my pages load instantly after this mod in the thread title (and not too much slower before that)....maybe your computer was having software issues with the FF, no idea

IE always takes forever to load pages...i can open IE, minimize the box, load up firefox, and go to my favorite tabs and click OR and this site will fully load before my homepage is even loaded all the way on IE

there are some forms I go to and you can see the page loads from all kinds of different servers. ads.doubleclick. is a major one. FF stops loading when it gets to these. like it doesn't know what to do.

I have several computers. 4 to be exact. 2 of them with 2 hard drives. all of them FF loads pages slowly on. I've tried it in XPpro, Ubuntu 9, ubuntu 10, vista, and windows 7. I can show you a video I made of how slow FF is vs IE8.

http://www.youtube.com/user/blue03r6#p/u/7/mB9CM-sarkw

FF has trouble working with Adobe Flash player. it responds very slowly even on a computer with a dual core processor and 3 gigs of ram with a high end Nvidia graphics card.

you try to scroll down a page in youtube and it hangs as if you are using a computer from 12 years ago.

Edited by serpentracer

^ hmm thats very odd...i have the exact same results, except backwards ...my screen will only drag like that if im running IE, and FF loads instant like yours did with IE...must be something with certain computers, because IE is so slow on my comp that its not even hardly useable

also what helps, is with NoScript, you have to allow each thing to run...so when i load a webpage, i dont have a ton of shit trying to load at once...no ads no nothing

ads.doubleclick. is blocked, so it doesnt even attempt to load on my machine....for example...on OR, when you come to this site, you have

ohio-riders.com

google-analytics.com

both of those will load

well, google-analytics isnt allowed, so when i come here all my browser has to do is worry about the actual OR content...and by default, everything is blocked, so on websites you just allow the stuff you trust and it will save your preferences for the next time you visit the page

do you get regular updates from microsoft? they may have released a fix for it.

the big thing man I swear to you, IE8 stops viruses and trojans and malware better than firefox does.

I've tried it. it doesn't matter I can install XP pro as many times as I want so I purposly try to get viruses just to see if microsofts stuff actually works. so far all the dangerous sites FF has let them download and stuff. IE8 doesn't let them get that far.

it stops them from loading the page even. but microsoft security essentials has stopped them from installing themselves.

I think FF has some homework to do. I think the developers think they have it all figured out and stoped worring about it and now it's easy for anyone to circumvent.

Edited by serpentracer

do you get regular updates from microsoft? they may have released a fix for it.

the big thing man I swear to you, IE8 stops viruses and trojans and malware better than firefox does.

I've tried it. it doesn't matter I can install XP pro as many times as I want so I purposly try to get viruses just to see if microsofts stuff actually works. so far all the dangerous sites FF has let them download and stuff. IE8 doesn't let them get that far.

it stops them from loading the page even.

FF will also stop bad pages, ive ran into it a few times on some redirects...and im telling you, the NoScript addon is a life saver...it wont let anything download that you dont approve

that's how IE8 is now. I went to what looks like a legitimate website before and IE8 stopped and said a dangerous program has tried to download itself in the background.

everything you try to download, IE8 checks for viruses, malware and trojans first. it even has the option to report it to microsoft for approval. it's called smart screen filter.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/filters/smartscreen.aspx

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/?action=view&current=IE_FF.mp4

haha....ignore my cluttered desktop...i dont bother organizing it anymore, any time i hook my computer up to my girls TV with HDMI, it scrambles all my desktop icons so i dont bother anymore