michelin PP 2ct or Bridgestone BT016

Hoblick

Which tire would be best for running track days without warmers.  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which tire would be best for running track days without warmers.

• Michelin pilot pure
    • Michelin power race
    • Michelin power one
    • Bridgestone BT-003RS
    • Dunlop Sportmax Q2

Just go buy some pirrelli supercorsas one of the harder compounds will last you a good long while!

But in all seriousness if your going to just use the tires on the track you might as well just buy a full race dot tire, they will heat up faster and give you more response than a street performance tire. My $.02.

Just go buy some pirrelli supercorsas one of the harder compounds will last you a good long while!

But in all seriousness if your going to just use the tires on the track you might as well just buy a full race dot tire, they will heat up faster and give you more response than a street performance tire. My $.02.

dot race tires heat well with tire warmers...

i was under the assumption street tires warm quicker under normal riding, and heat cycle better as well..

i like the bt016's but haven't tried 2ct's yet. once i get done with these 016's i'll find out about the 2ct's.

as far as the 016's, i like them just as much as the corsa III's. maybe the corsa III's lasted longer? but i'm not sure.

I have PP 2CT's on my Ducati 944SS... like the grip and quick warmup (1-2 laps). They also seem to wear well... 6-8 trackdays at least. This bike is fairly light weight ~400 lbs and puts out 90HP and 65 lbs ft. Grip at the limit is pretty predictable... I've noticed they get squirmy right at the limit which is decent warning. I run 28-30 lbs in the 120 front... 28 in the 180 rear (measured cold).

I also had Bridgestone 016's on my Duc Hypermotard from the factory. I tracked the bike once several years ago also at MidOhio. They also seems to have plenty of grip but hard to tell how well they would wear as I just did one trackday. I know the rear was done after ~5000 miles of street riding but I'm on the gas a lot and that motor is very torque. Just replaced them this spring with PP 2CT's!

I also have an 06 ZX10R (164RWHP) and put Michelin Power One's on it! WOW! What a hell of a trackday tire... its essentially a street legal/DOT slick! Nice tire if you want maximum grip but remain street legal.

Michelin has the new Power Pure this year... it sits between the PP 2CT and the Power One. It has lightweight construction which drops some weight and centrificial force off your bike?! I haven't tried them myself...

End of the day... I don't think you could go wrong either way but I think you might get more mileage out of the Michelin's.

or is it a DOT race tire?

i think it may just be a street tire lol

sorry guys just trying to get a a decent track day tire thats heats up well, and its priced way out there.. i wouldnt mind forking out the cash for the power one, but i dont want to waste tires seeing as im not running tire warmers at the moment

i was always curious. what IS a good price for a set of shinko's? cause a set of michelin PP's or 2ct's can be had for a bit under $200. and when pirelli was having their sales, it was like $175 for a set of corsa III's, and i got my 016's for $215 or something like that. are shinko's that much cheaper?

umm not buying shinkos.. although there race tire intrigues me lol..

i know they dont compare at all with any of the top manufacturers, but i wonder whop is running shinko race tires at a track day.

anywho, i may try the BT003 out

unless i find somethign else in the next week

Shinko's are not meant for racing, not even their "race tire" they are not speed rated properly and they are garbage anyways. SportBike Tire Service (STT Tire Division) has a bunch of deals on Michelin's. Plus as stated before 2CT's can be had at a good price now. As far as Power One's, they are the replacement for the Power Race. There are two versions, the commercial and true competition model. Commercial versions is what can be purchased from stores & dealerships. Competition models can only be purchased from race distributors. The Commercial model is a great tire and can be ran without tire warmers. Honestly if you could get a set of 2CT's I would pick those up as those will last you a lot longer then the race tires, and at your pace you don't need to be on a race compound anyways.

Hob...I have had BT-002RS and currently have the Pures on (which I was running at Gingerman when you and I were there). For the street I really liked the 002s but I never had them at the track. The Pures compare IMO fairly well to the 002s and probably the same to the 003s. On the track the Pures was very good to me. Never had a problem with grip especially with the 1000. I got mine from STTG but I did get a good price on them from a sponsor on gixxer.com as well.

I'll be heading to Beaver on Sat. and see how well they do there.

from everything i'm hearing, until you're going at a good clip in advanced, you won't "need" anything more than PP's or corsa III's or the like. That said, I could see how running race tires would really help with confidence. Personally, I've never felt my street tires slip on me in the dry, but then again i'm just running a mid pack int. pace. I think one of the instructors at Midohio during the max time twilight day said his corsa III's didn't start getting squirrelly on him til he was running 1:35's. at that pace, I have no idea how long they're lasting him. I think he said 3 days?

re: the shinko's, I was just curious cause I can only imagine people who run shinko's run them because they are cheaper... but with prices on michelins these days, are they really that much cheaper? I can't imagine it's more than like... $20 bucks savings for a set. maybe i'm wrong and they're like a $100 bucks for a set. I could see the appeal then.