2008 Mid - Ohio Schedule

TwitchMacabre

Im just not all that familiar what is involved with an SS build..

port, valves, valve springs, over bore, head gasket, block plate, cams, pistons, rods, crank????

What all does it include?

LOADS of stuff... Basically, it is a crank up rebuild and massage of parts, motor, etc. Some fancy tricks that most techs won't share, but nuts and bolts are to loosen up the crank, do some mil and decking work, and some other sorted bits and pieces... I can tell ya, but I'd have to kill you.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOADS of stuff... Basically, it is a crank up rebuild and massage of parts, motor, etc. Some fancy tricks that most techs won't share, but nuts and bolts are to loosen up the crank, do some mil and decking work, and some other sorted bits and pieces... I can tell ya, but I'd have to kill you.

So in other words, I will just call Carr and ask him..

Lizard being a dick as usual.. :beating:

So in other words, I will just call Carr and ask him..

Lizard being a dick as usual.. :beating:

No, Carr knows suspension - Reuben knows SS builds. Reuben knows both, but I guess even Reuben says Carr knows a little more than even he does. That amazes me, but I guess it can be true.

You can call me or I can PM you as to an idea as what they do. I just don't like sharing that info via the internet. Too many people think they know and they have no clue.

It goes pretty basic in terms of the usual deal - Head work, motor case work, crank work, etc. It's pretty damn involved. I did my 2002 GSXR750 with my friend who built all of our Kawasakis and is regarded well for an engine builder. It was VERY involved and to be honest, I will probably never build one again. I'll let Reuben or Tracy do it. Drop it off, pay for the parts and MAYBE help out a little. But, paying them to do it is easy. I just don't have time...

bingo! i was gonna go a lil more wild, but the cams haven't really helped out on other builds. so we are goin with a true SS bottom up build. and you are right on with the hp. should be a rocket of a gsxr compared to before.

Now you can stay closer to Kovack's R750 in the 600 races.

I am thinking of just racing the 1k next year to save some $$ to run all N.C. rounds.

No, Carr knows suspension - Reuben knows SS builds. Reuben knows both, but I guess even Reuben says Carr knows a little more than even he does. That amazes me, but I guess it can be true.

You can call me or I can PM you as to an idea as what they do. I just don't like sharing that info via the internet. Too many people think they know and they have no clue.

It goes pretty basic in terms of the usual deal - Head work, motor case work, crank work, etc. It's pretty damn involved. I did my 2002 GSXR750 with my friend who built all of our Kawasakis and is regarded well for an engine builder. It was VERY involved and to be honest, I will probably never build one again. I'll let Reuben or Tracy do it. Drop it off, pay for the parts and MAYBE help out a little. But, paying them to do it is easy. I just don't have time...

You should see Matt tease Ruben about working on the Ducatis It is very entertaining.

Yeah I always wondered what the SS build involved. But I know I wouldn't underdstand it even if it was explained.

I just twist the gas half way then crawl back sucking my thumb.

You make it to half throttle before crying... Shit.. I barely hit 1/4.... I got some serious work to do. :(

Now you can stay closer to Kovack's R750 in the 600 races.

I am thinking of just racing the 1k next year to save some $$ to run all N.C. rounds.

too bad kovack is selling everything... no racing for him next year, just picture taking

Anybody herd if they are going to do some Mid-Ohio short tracks? Where they buy pass the keyhole? I think that would be the hoot.

That would suck ass. The chicane is one of the best passing places for trackdays.

But no, only cars don't use the chicane. Of the 4 years I have been doing trackdays there and watching AMA they have always use the chicane.

It would make the keyhole a different corner though, but the chicane is a blast to hit on a 600. No brakes, roll of load the front pitch in flip back left pick gas up just a hair to keep from washing the front.

Roll off slowly and push front as you start to slow down for keyhole. If running hard as you hit apex of 2nd left both tires slide a bit. Stand it up hit brakes and one downshift and then lean in for the keyhole.

Why would you want to by pass that??

People under estimate Matt. That should never be done!!! Hahaha. He is quite the badass :cool:

Anybody herd if they are going to do some Mid-Ohio short tracks? Where they buy pass the keyhole? I think that would be the hoot.

They actually tried to do this last year. So many people complained about it so they made it the full track instead. I like the full track. The keyhole is a blast!!

People under estimate Matt. That should never be done!!! Hahaha. He is quite the badass :cool:

They actually tried to do this last year. So many people complained about it so they made it the full track instead. I like the full track. The keyhole is a blast!!

Well you would still use the Keyhole, but could you imagine how different it would be being able to enter from track left instead of at the exit of the chicane?

I am going to try and get Matt to help me out at Grattan this year.

I see one of our rounds is the Grattan National round. I may bail on the 20 lap race. I don't want to get my ass lapped several times by Jensen and Batey.

Uh, the short track doesn't use any of the keyhole. Exit one, shut 'er down for that immediate right hander.

It wasn't cancelled because of complaints - it was because of the cars the day of and after... Changes were too extensive and teh corner workers needed moved around.

Why does everyone bitch about it anyways? I think it would be a challenge and certainly a new twist. Different is good.

Oh, and Chris - if you are going fast enough, you trail brake for the chicane entrance.... and certainly for the entrance to the keyhole...

trail brake? what's that?? WFO to the last brake mark, throw it in, flip it back, hard on the gas, slam it into the keyhole, maybe a tap on the brakes to keep it tight. oh wait, i was prolly goin 10mph slower than you on that lil shoot! or more...

Uh, the short track doesn't use any of the keyhole. Exit one, shut 'er down for that immediate right hander.

It wasn't cancelled because of complaints - it was because of the cars the day of and after... Changes were too extensive and teh corner workers needed moved around.

Why does everyone bitch about it anyways? I think it would be a challenge and certainly a new twist. Different is good.

Oh, and Chris - if you are going fast enough, you trail brake for the chicane entrance.... and certainly for the entrance to the keyhole...

On the 1k I was braking for the chicane but unless there is another rider I never brake on the 6. WFO to the 100 quick downshift to 3rd then hit the curb on the right of the entrance put the knee imediately on the left curb and let it run out 5-7 feet off inside curb till front starts to push then pick gas up to hit the second curb on the left before standing it up for the Keyhole entrance where I brake and hit a downshift into 2nd.

I was gonna say.. cant wait to come back to this exact post after your SS build and see what you say.

Knowing drew with his MX background it will be WFO to the last brake marker, hit the right/outside curb jump the edge straight into the mid of the chicane lean in to start the run to the keyhole. Drag Helmet on apex curb.

Hit downshift into keyhole and drag helmet on inside of keyhole entrance till time to power out of keyhole....:lol:

trail brake? what's that?? WFO to the last brake mark, throw it in, flip it back, hard on the gas, slam it into the keyhole, maybe a tap on the brakes to keep it tight. oh wait, i was prolly goin 10mph slower than you on that lil shoot! or more...

Yeah, I just trail slightly to keep it tight. You were definately getting better. I was really proud of ya by the end of the year. You were definately getting better going in and through.

You always were better than me in through the top of the keyhole.

Damn... I am really going to have my work cut out for me next year, huh? Bastard... I'll just pop a spark plug or something!:D

I was gonna say.. cant wait to come back to this exact post after your SS build and see what you say.

Let's see.... "Brian is my idol and I wish I could be him forever." No, wait... That's your response. Oh, yeah... Drew will say "It's about time I rode a real bike."...!!!

I still need to let him ride the 750. I was going to last year, but with my oil leak and the fact I was worried about the new tranny and stuff, I didn't let him. I felt bad, but I think we still had some fun...

Next year.

haha, you guys are hilarious! def. can't wait to get back out there. we'll see what i can do, i've learned a few lil things in the off season to try out next year, should help with some of the tighter/technical stuff. my goal for life is to see a sub 1.30 at mid ohio on any bike, so we'll shoot for that with the 600 this year, but that's absolutely FLYING around that place. maybe i can steal that 750 for the RRGC at the end of the year....

Yeah, I just trail slightly to keep it tight. You were definately getting better. I was really proud of ya by the end of the year. You were definately getting better going in and through.

You always were better than me in through the top of the keyhole.

Damn... I am really going to have my work cut out for me next year, huh? Bastard... I'll just pop a spark plug or something!:D

trailing is something i really need to work on this year. i do some trail braking sometimes, but too up my game i'm gonna need to really push it on the brakes. hell at the end of the straight i could prolly brake at #4 if i actually trailed 'em in. i have more learning from the brian to do..:metal:

I was glad to have the #s that Shared AMA/STT day. that is the only time I have ever had those markers. The 100, 200, 300 are BS.

I got to the point I was using the last photo hole before the fence went back. I thought I was really lame till that day when the 5 board was right at that hole.

I would like to see some 1:35s this year and maybe 34s or so for the RRGC. 1:38.3 best so I think that is doable.

My luck I will only get a 1:36.00, that always pisses me off.

I was glad to have the #s that Shared AMA/STT day. that is the only time I have ever had those markers. The 100, 200, 300 are BS.

I got to the point I was using the last photo hole before the fence went back. I thought I was really lame till that day when the 5 board was right at that hole.

I would like to see some 1:35s this year and maybe 34s or so for the RRGC. 1:38.3 best so I think that is doable.

My luck I will only get a 1:36.00, that always pisses me off.

yea the ones for the pro weekend are pushed way back. i was brakin at the 400 mark and it was too early. i like the ones they normally have, usually push it just past 5 on the 600. it likes to slide around there, plus i'm grabbin one too many downshifts, i think i need to take it in 3rd.