cincinnati bell zoomtown is ripping me off.

serpentracer

cinci bell is the problem. My friend works for the cell phone side of things and could get whatever satelite/internet package ridiculously cheap and still doesn't use it. When I lived there though the options were extremely limited for other choices

DSL is shared just as much as cable is, I'm not sure why DSL providers try to make people think otherwise. The only real difference is where the sharing occurs. With DSL it's often at a central office or a remote dslam, but in general, you're still sharing bandwidth in the same way.

dsl doesn't slow down the more people share it.

it's not cinci bell telling people that, it's how it works.

that's why in some states warner cable was implementing pay per use plans. if you go over so many mb per month you were penalized.

dsl doesn't slow down the more people share it.

it's not cinci bell telling people that, it's how it works.

that's why in some states warner cable was implementing pay per use plans. if you go over so many mb per month you were penalized.

Of course it does. Bandwidth is finite, the more people who use it, the slower it is. This is true of cable, DSL, 802.xx, frame relay, you name it.

The only thing about cable that is "shared" is the physical media upon which the signal travels. But this isn't the same as sharing bandwidth - just like DSL (or any other technology), bandwidth is limited by the equipment at each end of the connection (be it a cable modem, DSL modem, CSU/DSU, or whatever). With DSL, you also have that shared physical media - it's just in a different physical location (behind the dslam or in the central office).

The reason you don't notice any slow downs with DSL is a simple one - bandwidth is capped at a fairly low limit. If DSL providers left DSL wide open (around 11mb for people close to a dslam or CO), you'd notice the exact same peak time decrease.

Of course it does. Bandwidth is finite, the more people who use it, the slower it is. This is true of cable, DSL, 802.xx, frame relay, you name it.

The only thing about cable that is "shared" is the physical media upon which the signal travels. But this isn't the same as sharing bandwidth - just like DSL (or any other technology), bandwidth is limited by the equipment at each end of the connection (be it a cable modem, DSL modem, CSU/DSU, or whatever). With DSL, you also have that shared physical media - it's just in a different physical location (behind the dslam or in the central office).

The reason you don't notice any slow downs with DSL is a simple one - bandwidth is capped at a fairly low limit. If DSL providers left DSL wide open (around 11mb for people close to a dslam or CO), you'd notice the exact same peak time decrease.

I'm not sure. so I can't say you're wrong. but that's what I've always read about dsl. even on dsl reports.com

cable slows the more people that are on it, DSL doesn't.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cable users share network bandwidth, ZoomTown subscribers do not. This is a key difference between the two broadband options. Does this matter? Yes.

Because cable users share their network connection with other users in their local area, their average connection can be slower than its potential speed, particularly during peak hours. If everyone is on the network at the same time, access speeds can noticeably drop. Because ZoomTown's ADSL lines are dedicated, there is no need to share bandwidth with your neighbors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so I see what you are saying, I share my speed with other close neighborhoods, but I don't share it with my next door neighbor like cable does.

I guess it's the way cable and the phone lines are set up?

Edited by serpentracer

well they sent out a tech and he noticed why right away before he showed up to my house.

they had me on the old system that is outdated. I was like the last person on it.

they installed my new modem and now i get this,

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.speedtest.net/result/894853485.png' alt='894853485.png'>