got my first dirt experience

SpeedTriple44444

I rode my uncle's XR650 on some trails this weekend... had a great time. I'm really thinking about getting something like that. Anyone have suggestions as to which bike, and where I would ride it? I was thinking the XR would work for me because it would get me to the trails without a pickup. I liked the big torque- it seemed pretty easy to ride. There were a couple times on the steeper hills that gave me trouble... thought I might drop it. Not stopping seemed to be the best thing to do. I also rode a Yamaha 125 motocross bike... first 2 stroke I ever rode. Totally different experience. I think I prefer the 4 stroke, but that's probably because I'm used to the way they respond.

I live near Newton Falls (between Akron and Youngstown).

It is really strange if you haven't been on one. Think of having no power at all when you're in the low end of the powerband, and then go to having most of the power like flipping a switch. You go from boggy- can't get moving- to holy shit this bike is CONNECTED to my right hand! It requires a lot of clutch control. I know I could get it, I was doing alright, but I like the thumper single cylinder 4 stroke pulls-like-a-tractor grunt. The main difference was weight. That 650 was a beast compared to the ultra-light Yamaha I rode. With that 2 stroke, you can launch the front wheel when you need to easily, which is a definite plus. The 4 required a little more thought to do the same (probably due to the weight).

If you want to ride on the street at all, get a 4 stroke. Period.

If you want to ride back roads, gravel, and trails, get a dualsport or trail bike. Don't get a motocross based bike- they don't like the roads.

i hear that poor people should stay away from non japanese bikes like ktm, husq, etc... because of maintenance costs.

Thanks... that definitely applies. I hear the Honda is bulletproof. I'm sold on that bike, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there comparable. From what I've read, the XR is the most dirt-worthy of the big dual sports.

You might want to look at a Suzuki DRZ400, it's a much better dirtbike than any of the other 650's and has a pretty good track record for reliability. I'll guess your uncles bike is the L model instead of the R model? There is a Hell of a difference between the 2 and the R is much more capable off road.

If your not concerned with street legal and just want a good all around dirtbike you might want to look at a KTM 300 EXC, it's a 2 stoke but it doesn't have that explosive hit of a MX bike and makes great power at all RPM's. Maintenance wise a 2 stroke is also much easier & cheaper to work on V 4 strokes.

i hear that poor people should stay away from non japanese bikes like ktm, husq, etc... because of maintenance costs.

Not true. I'm 20 years old and I own a KTM smoker and a Husky TE450. I'm able to maintain them. Parts may be slightly harder to find for the Husky, but the internet seems to have everything.

You might want to look at a Suzuki DRZ400, it's a much better dirtbike than any of the other 650's and has a pretty good track record for reliability.

I'd argue that the XRL is pretty close to the Dizzer (especially the S), much more so than the DR or KLR. The weight is only slightly more on the XRL, but the DRZ carries it's weight up front and high and feels every bit as heavy offroad. Suspension wise, about the same (both a tad plush but decent), and the XRL cruises better. The DRZ makes more useable power offroad, but gearing and jetting/pipe can swing those advantages back and forth.

Yes, I've owned both bikes so I have some good experience on them.

Good info, Swingset. Thanks. I was wondering about the DRZ compared to the XRL. I would like to ride whatever I get pretty hard off road. I would get an all-out dirt bike, but I like the idea of being able to ride down to my grandparents house in Carrollton to get to the trails, and not being hassled by the cops around here when riding to local trails. And, I like the big low end torque of the large thumpers.

Which of those 2 is the better bike for someone that is fairly big and wants to ride it like that?

Good info, Swingset. Thanks. I was wondering about the DRZ compared to the XRL. I would like to ride whatever I get pretty hard off road. I would get an all-out dirt bike, but I like the idea of being able to ride down to my grandparents house in Carrollton to get to the trails, and not being hassled by the cops around here when riding to local trails. And, I like the big low end torque of the large thumpers.

Which of those 2 is the better bike for someone that is fairly big and wants to ride it like that?

Honestly, any big-bore thumper is a handful offroad and kind of sucks compared to a lighter purpose built machine, it all comes down to your experience and expectations...and some people's "offroad" is another person's "sissy trails" so it's hard to give hard answers what would be best for you. In tight single track or technical terrain, a 300+lb bike is a lot of work, but on the groomed trails of WNF or fire trails? Great fun.

All dual sports are compromises, some more so than others. The XRL, to me, is a very good "do all" bike in that it has probably the best offroad manners of the jap big-bores, and it's relatively simple and the lightest of the three. I'd take it over the DRZ simply for the fact that on the highway for extended periods, it's more pleasant and offroad with some set up can be just as capable. It's kind of a tractor offroad, but it'll go where you point it. It's a tall bike and should fit a big guy fairly well, so that's a plus for you too.

I think most of us who do a lot of dual sporting got into it and tried to buy one bike that does everything we want, and found that we had a bike that doesn't do anything well....some of us live with the limitations, and some of us bought two bikes. Even issues like tires will confound you, the tires that hookup offroad and make a trail ride do-able will burn up on highway runs to and from the trails, likewise the tires that last will be miserable if you hit mud. Compromise, it's just the nature of the game when you're dual sporting.

Ideally, for someone wanting a big bore that's really good all around I'd say the Husky 610 or a KTM 640 are both world's ahead of the Jap offerings, but they cost more and are spendier to maintain. But, if you want a bike that really can tear up the offroad and still cruise home in relative comfort, they're both superb machines.

Excellent... thanks. The trails I was riding last weekend were anything but groomed. I don't know what is considered technical, but they were barely trails at all, going up some fairly steep hills. They were a rutted up rocky mess with trees and stumps in the way. I definitely felt what you were saying on the XRL. If it wasn't pointed the right direction it was a handlful to get it there. If I stopped, it was difficult to keep it upright. I liked the "tractor-like" quality. It just chugged up the hill like it was nothing. It had full knobbies on it. I'm surely not ever going to be a good motocross guy, and I don't expect to be... so I guess I have pretty realistic expectations. Part of the fun will be seeing how deep in I can take it before having to get pulled out, lol. I probably couldn't afford the Husky or KTM.

Have you taken your Strom offroading much? I've done some light trails and dirt roads on mine, and found it to be fun, but I can tell the bike isn't really made for it. The tires definitely weren't helping (Conti Trail Attack). I was wondering how close I could get it to one of these thumpers we are talking about with proper guarding and some knobby tires.

Have you taken your Strom offroading much? I've done some light trails and dirt roads on mine, and found it to be fun, but I can tell the bike isn't really made for it. The tires definitely weren't helping (Conti Trail Attack). I was wondering how close I could get it to one of these thumpers we are talking about with proper guarding and some knobby tires.

I've taken mine in some questionable places, unincorporated roads and little shitty trails that were more than I was comfortable on, but it'll do it....especially if you have good tires. I have no illusions that it's a "dual sport", it ain't....but it's capable of getting you through some shitty roads or sections if you need it to. I've dumped it many times trying, but crash bars and pelican cases absorb a lot of stupid!

My wife and I rode down around Tar Hollow state park on some of the little county roads that are nothing more than slimy creekbeds and steep descents...this is one we had a fun time getting up...

28456_137392426275636_100000146379559_426244_6128850_n.jpg

And lots of these slimy mud puddles for miles and miles...

28456_137392446275634_100000146379559_426246_4663275_n.jpg

We got through them all but it was hairy at times. Fun tho.

Edited by swingset

Not bad! Looks like fun. I wonder how much better it would have been with some TKC80 or similar tires.

TKC80's are good offroad tires, but they burn up so damned fast on the big Vee I can't stand to throw that much money at them when 90% of my riding is on the pavement. The Shinko 705's are actually really good offroad in all but the really loose stuff. I'm still running the bias plys with no issues, but now the radials are out so I'll be trying them too. I've tried several different treads and they're about the best all around tire I've found, and cheap too. They worked really well on that ride.

Just my $.02 but a used KLR is about the perfect bike for the new to offroad/trail rider who still wants a usable road bike for 100mile + rides. I'm not as wild about the post 08' KLR due to excessive plastic on them waiting to be broken. :)

i would agree on the drz 400 mx bike are all i have know the xr 650 and drz 650 r good i would stay away from the klx though seen a alot of prob kaw race bikes r good but the need to work on duel sport the drz 400 though will bee prob all the power u need but they are a lot lighter than the 650 if u decide to go the mx way though i have a 08 rmz250 for sale amazing shape i have a pic on my profile

Thanks for the advice. I was looking into a DRZ-400E and doing a dual sport conversion to it. I want something that is barely street legal so I can get to the trails without trailering and being harassed by the cops.

I'd get the already legal one. OEM wiring and lighting components are tougher than the aftermarket stuff.

yeah, you lose a little power and gain some weight with the S, but it gives you a more versatile bike.

KTM 450 EXC or 530 EXC. Done.

The other bikes are pigs off road and if you are a serious trails guy and not just running some wide open dirt paths, the bigger 650s and such are just turds. Can easily be fun for sure, but they are soft and very much designed to be less trail and more wide open area off road riders.

I've ridden 650 Hondas, KLX Kaws, DRZs and they are all very heavy as you noticed and if you decide to ride a serious trail, you're going to be sore or so worn out that you won't last long.

If street has to be an option 100%, get something that is a trail bike (Trail meaning what you'd see in a GNCC or Enduro type atmosphere) with blinkers and a horn with lights...

Husky also makes some decent stuff and Husaberg has a new 570 S coming that is EXCELLENT. That motor configuration is unique, but makes the bike transition back and forth in tight woods VERY well...

As for getting parts, they are EASILY available and cost similar if not cheaper than their Japanese counter parts. Oh, wait, they don't make such bikes!;)