got my first dirt experience

SpeedTriple44444

Thank you for your unbiased opinion, Brian.

Well, I am probably going to be slated as biased towards the KTM and Husabergs, but it is only because I have ridden them and see what the focus for them is. The company is truly an off road company and unlike many of the other companies out there, they have not strayed away from their roots in off road.

Many a Dual Sport event will show you what I mean. Look at the GNCCs and especially the National Enduros. That technology and focus is sent over to the on/off road segments, as well.

Here's the new Berg. I have an FX450 and love the damn thing.

570 S (2011):

fe570swebinside.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They will be over at Wheelsports (Only Ohio Berg dealer)...

you know.. there was a couple of Lady Riders trying to get a dirt bike class together. I didn't respond.. but now you've peaked my interest. I'm thinking it over.

I am a bit height challenged though. I wonder if I could find a dirt bike for me. I'm 5'1 and a half.. not even 5'2.

KTM 450 EXC or 530 EXC. Done.

The other bikes are pigs off road and if you are a serious trails guy and not just running some wide open dirt paths, the bigger 650s and such are just turds. Can easily be fun for sure, but they are soft and very much designed to be less trail and more wide open area off road riders.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do with it... serious trails. I don't want something that is just good for open dirt paths... I want to do some real climbing and get air under the tires. You know, get a little wild.

I'll look at the bikes you're talking about, but I doubt I'm going to have KTM money for a while.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do with it... serious trails. I don't want something that is just good for open dirt paths... I want to do some real climbing and get air under the tires. You know, get a little wild.

I'll look at the bikes you're talking about, but I doubt I'm going to have KTM money for a while.

In all serious, then... I would simply buy a CRF, RMZ, KX, or YZ 450 and convert to street. In Ohio, it is VERY easy to do. They make a Baja Designs light kit for every model and you can get the needed horn easily enough. In fact, according to state law, a simple bicycle squeeze horn will pass.

My buddy did a CRF450 and didn't even have to get it checked by the State Patrol. He went to the DMV with the Off Road title and told them it was a street bike and they took care of it!

Anyways, getting a good used CRF and the like is really cheap and will provide serious fun. You can also buy a set of 17" wheels for under $500 and slap them on in maybe 20 minutes total time (if you are slow) and have a blast on the street or at CRP!!

Here's the Yamaha 450 I had that I never did get legal, but did plenty of street rides on:

img0502email.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you know.. there was a couple of Lady Riders trying to get a dirt bike class together. I didn't respond.. but now you've peaked my interest. I'm thinking it over.

I am a bit height challenged though. I wonder if I could find a dirt bike for me. I'm 5'1 and a half.. not even 5'2.

That will be tough to find a suitable seat height. I know it sounds bad, but when a woman came into our shop looking for a trail bike that was on and off road, we'd move them towards the smaller bikes. I think Honda has a 230L now that is very low seat height and somewhat an ok trails bike.

If you are a serious off roader, though - same applies and many a woman ride regular big bikes with no issues.

Ok, here's my response and I am out. I get all you guys bitching and moaning that because I work for KTM and have been working in the motorcycle industry for 16 fucking years. When I mention even remotely something that I am familiar with, you bitch and whine and complain.

I've been working in this industry and while trying not to be too arrogant, have probably ridden more bikes than you probably have read about. I've had the pleasure of riding bikes that have not even been released yet in the past and present. I've never once claimed to be great at anything and am still lucky to be an average rider.

However, I have ridden almost every type of bike out there. Wanna test my abilities? Want to test my experience? Wanna test what I haven't or have ridden? Go for it.

The fact is that it isn't any different than a guy that comes on and says that his bike is the best choice and recommends it to someone who asks. Look, dipshit - I suggested metric bikes to the guy. Gave him some choices and backed them up. Get over yourself and maybe get a damn job where you too can experience different types of bikes.

Sure, I work for KTM (who owns Berg) and sure, I am going to suggest them. But, truth be told, find me a Japanese bike that fits in the 530 EXC or 570 S category. Good luck.

Look, the XR/XLs, KLXs, DRZs are good and decent bikes, but on trails like I described, they aren't the best choices. If you think so, great. Have you even ridden an EXC?

Terms I used like "turds" and such may hurt your feelings. I apologize. However, not every bike can be cherries and Dirt Rider's Bike of the Year. Get over it.

Jesus.

Hey, I don't care about the connection there... I appreciate the advice. As far as specs go, the 530 looks like everything I'm looking for in this type of bike: light weight, good suspension, displacement, 4 stroke, street legal, etc. It might be worth waiting a few years to get the right bike rather than compromise. I've looked at all the Japanese manufacturer's and they just don't make something like that (unless I'm willing to dual sport a 4 stroke motocross bike).

Hey, I don't care about the connection there... I appreciate the advice. As far as specs go, the 530 looks like everything I'm looking for in this type of bike: light weight, good suspension, displacement, 4 stroke, street legal, etc. It might be worth waiting a few years to get the right bike rather than compromise. I've looked at all the Japanese manufacturer's and they just don't make something like that (unless I'm willing to dual sport a 4 stroke motocross bike).

No problem, man. It's just this site is starting to get a lot of guys that are in a huff when you tell them there are better choices out there. Bottom line? Don't come on to a website asking what is the best choice. All that ever happens is suggestions from people who own a set bike. They probably have limited bike experience and limited number of bikes they've ever ridden in such conditions.

At the end of the day, buy what YOU feel is best. Take the bikes talked about, research and decide what is best for you. Not some tool bag that "thinks" it is the best choice simply because they own one...

At the end of the day, buy what YOU feel is best. Take the bikes talked about, research and decide what is best for you. Not some tool bag that "thinks" it is the best choice simply because they own one...

Trust me, been there with that type. Another site I get on has a couple BMW and Harley fanboys, and you would think (and they would tell you) that they are the best bikes in the world. It's a total joke. I didn't get that vibe from you. Others have suggested KTM to me... I just hadn't looked into them yet, because of the price tag.

That, really, was all you needed to say from the outset. It's not really necessary to point out that expensive, high-strung KTM full-on race bikes beat heavy Jap dual sports on trails. Duh. Does that make them the best bike for a dual sport? Well, let's go back to your advice above...let the guy buy what fits his riding the best.

I've owned KTM's, Jap mx bikes, trail bikes, dedicated dual sports, but I don't recommend a specific bike because I dig it. I'd call the Katoom 250xcw perfect for Ohio trails, but it's a fucking terrible dual sport. TERRIBLE. By the same token, if you're not flinging it in the technical single track, a WRR is a wonderful all arounder. If you're mostly on the street, a KLR is a terrific bike that will take you everywhere in relative comfort.

i have rode everything but a berg race 21 years mx pro since 2000 pro nationals and suppercross 01-03 and still work in industy and some pro nationals here is my honest oppinion rode suzuki most of my life they have a smooth plush feel, prob one of the most reliable, bout same, i would stay away from the kaw seen a lot of problems at work with them yam is good if u unrestrict them. ktm good bike to unless u mx it till they get a linkage (witch is on the 350) handling sucks. lil bro raced canadian nationals for factory ktm and even they told us u cant make the direct shock feel right for mx, but it has a decent feel in the woods personaly for someone starting i would say dr or xr if u want less weight go with the dr400 rather than 650, ktm istn bad choise either but parts r a bit more to buy when they break.

That, really, was all you needed to say from the outset. It's not really necessary to point out that expensive, high-strung KTM full-on race bikes beat heavy Jap dual sports on trails. Duh. Does that make them the best bike for a dual sport? Well, let's go back to your advice above...let the guy buy what fits his riding the best.

I've owned KTM's, Jap mx bikes, trail bikes, dedicated dual sports, but I don't recommend a specific bike because I dig it. I'd call the Katoom 250xcw perfect for Ohio trails, but it's a fucking terrible dual sport. TERRIBLE. By the same token, if you're not flinging it in the technical single track, a WRR is a wonderful all arounder. If you're mostly on the street, a KLR is a terrific bike that will take you everywhere in relative comfort.

He asked a set question and from his response, seemingly an appropriate answer from me was given. The 250 XC-W is a good trail bike. Didn't state it would make a good dual sport. A 300XC? Probably a better choice with proper turns and lights, etc. needed for dual sport. However, as stated, the EXCs are probably the best choice from what I read from him.

Now, as far as them being expensive, how so? In reality, for the components and such you get, they aren't out of line. And, tell that to over 60% of the off road market share we have...

i have rode everything but a berg race 21 years mx pro since 2000 pro nationals and suppercross 01-03 and still work in industy and some pro nationals here is my honest oppinion rode suzuki most of my life they have a smooth plush feel, prob one of the most reliable, bout same, i would stay away from the kaw seen a lot of problems at work with them yam is good if u unrestrict them. ktm good bike to unless u mx it till they get a linkage (witch is on the 350) handling sucks. lil bro raced canadian nationals for factory ktm and even they told us u cant make the direct shock feel right for mx, but it has a decent feel in the woods personaly for someone starting i would say dr or xr if u want less weight go with the dr400 rather than 650, ktm istn bad choise either but parts r a bit more to buy when they break.

KTM now has linkage on the 250, 350 and 450 for 2011 MX/SX bikes. The PDs shock is still on the trail and enduro machines due to racers prefer it for several reasons with ground clearance a high reason... The PDS is very good in woods and related type racing and riding. With updates to the full line, it is even better for 2011...

Also, parts aren't that much, guys. Certain pieces are as they are better quality. Magura, Brembo, etc are components on these bikes and therefore, cost a little more, but replacement items like control levers, switches, etc are typically in line with what is out there from the Big 4...

• 2 weeks later...
I've taken mine in some questionable places, unincorporated roads and little shitty trails that were more than I was comfortable on, but it'll do it....especially if you have good tires. I have no illusions that it's a "dual sport", it ain't....but it's capable of getting you through some shitty roads or sections if you need it to. I've dumped it many times trying, but crash bars and pelican cases absorb a lot of stupid!

My wife and I rode down around Tar Hollow state park on some of the little county roads that are nothing more than slimy creekbeds and steep descents...this is one we had a fun time getting up...

And lots of these slimy mud puddles for miles and miles...

We got through them all but it was hairy at times. Fun tho.

Ive been looking for a place to ride dirt, but not places like Haspen Acres. Looking for something more mountainous, and not man made. I looked up Tar hollow based on your post, but I don't see anything about motorized bikes, only mountain bikes. Are motorized bikes allowed there?

Anyone know of any other good riding trails? Preferrably hilly, and not man made. i.e., more nature and less circle tracks, ramps, etc.