Who's into Grilling/Smoking?

Bad324

So with football season coming quick, it is my prime entertaining season. Lately I have been thinking about picking up a smoker and experimenting around with doing ribs and pulled pork and all that good stuff. Figured I would post up to get advice or opinions from others here that may be in to this as well. Gonna do some reading but looking like I might pick up a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker

I only use Charcoal. I also use a lot of wood chips for smoking. My favorite grill is this little tool box charcoal grill I bought from Summit Racing. I also use a large square grill with wheels from Walmart. Its ok but I'd rather a round Webber (will be getting one when I find a good deal).

Ribs I cheat, I cook them in the oven the day before. I place them on a cookie sheet with some water in the bottom and plenty of spices & herbs then cover with foil. I cook them for somewhere around 3 hours. If its a gas oven I put it on 300 if electric around 280. When I pull them out I usually cut them in 1/3 sauce em up and put them in the fridge for the next day. The next day I put them on charcoal with some wood chips. Lots of sauce and when I see they are charring I pull them off.

I only use Charcoal. I also use a lot of wood chips for smoking. My favorite grill is this little tool box charcoal grill I bought from Summit Racing. I also use a large square grill with wheels from Walmart. Its ok but I'd rather a round Webber (will be getting one when I find a good deal).

Ribs I cheat, I cook them in the oven the day before. I place them on a cookie sheet with some water in the bottom and plenty of spices & herbs then cover with foil. I cook them for somewhere around 3 hours. If its a gas oven I put it on 300 if electric around 280. When I pull them out I usually cut them in 1/3 sauce em up and put them in the fridge for the next day. The next day I put them on charcoal with some wood chips. Lots of sauce and when I see they are charring I pull them off.

http://www.aimtofind.com/weber-18-5-inch-smokey-mountain-cooker-pn-721001-2010-model.html?a_aid=googlebase&a_bid=9ad459c7&gdftrk=gdfV21157_a_7c375_a_7c1045_a_7c721001

this is the best deal I've seen so far. Considering ordering it this weekend

I picked up an electric Brinkmann at Home Depot two weeks ago. $69 and super easy. Bought ribs at Sams (3 full racks for about $25), and have been experimenting. Happy with the smoker, but for the third rack I marinated them overnight in the fridge (good recipes at allrecipes.com and of course food network) then covered them and cooked them in the oven for 3-4 hours at 220. Then put them on the grill for about 30 minutes, with some bbq sauce on them and let them crisp up a little. I'm NOT a cooker, but was VERY happy with the way they turned out. The smoker really does get the "smokey" flavor into the meat, in the early stages of the cooking.

In short, for ease and volume (you can put at least three slabs on the smoker, and maybe more. It has two racks), I highly recommend the electric Brinkmann. Check the reviews of it online.

Jeff

I usually do picnic shoulder or pork butt to do pulled pork. For it to be done properly it takes 1 1/2 hours per pound. The bone in works the best, when it is done you can grab the bone and the meat just falls apart. I make my own rub, and there is no set recipe. Brown sugar is the base, paprika, cumin, salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper. The brown sugar caramelizes over the cooking process, and gives it a nice crust and crunch, not to mention a really nice smoke ring. Sauce can be added by the consumer, personally I believe if it is done right, it needs no sauce. I only use charcoal and wood chips, anything else is cheating. I have done tons of ribs, pulled pork, leg and thigh quarters, pork loins, turkey breast and whole chickens on mine, and it is the best way to prepare picnic food. Cherry and apple are what I use the most. Wal mart has mesquite pre packaged, and it is ok, just needs to soak a long time.

You have to smoke with wood. Its not smoking..nor is it as good to smoke without using a good wood.

Being from Texas, we use mesquite or hickory. Ive also used apple wood.

Ive heard good things about the Weber. But theyre also easy to make if you know how to weld.

You have to smoke with wood. Its not smoking..nor is it as good to smoke without using a good wood.

Being from Texas, we use mesquite or hickory. Ive also used apple wood.

Ive heard good things about the Weber. But theyre also easy to make if you know how to weld.

Normally use mesquite or hichory but while cutting up an apple tree today, I was thinking how good it wood be to smoke with apple wood ;)

I fixed it for you.

Lucky for you guys the plan is every Browns away game (and select home games) I'll be hosting my Football Sunday Funday. Thus I will probably open it up to OR but will probably BYOB and BYOM(eat) :D

Or if we have a bunch of NEO Buckeye fans I'll start having Buckeye parties. Right now I don't because most of my friends don't care about OSU like me

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=852-7006-0

I bought that one from Home Depot about a month ago. It had some great reviews online and works great. I paid 39.00 bucks for it. I smoked some ribs in it and they turned out pretty good. I am going to try some pulled pork when I get back from vacation. I used cowboy lump hardwood charcoal and hickory pieces.

• 1 year later...

I see you started this thread a couple years ago? What did you end up getting for a smoker?

This site used to have some great info and recipes, too. It seems to be under reconstruction...

http://www.webernation.com/

So, you could use this one for now. http://www.weber.com/home