Knocking DRZ400 - Todd, read this!

Casper

The cam chain tensioners are a weak point though. If your good running DRZ all of a sudden starts knocking like the crank is about to blow out, it is probably the cam chain tensioner. The tensioner mounts to the back of the cylinder with two allen bolts, basically a simple replacement except there is not much room between the air box and the tensioner to fit an allen key.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/which-bike/drz400s-or-drz650se-dessert-riding-5131

Ninja 250's have the same problem, minus the shavings.

I'm shocked mine hasn't gone yet. I guess I'm too easy on it? :dunno:

His name is MidgetTodd. Get it together people!

They're slow. :nono:

yea didnt he mention his oil looking like antiseize?

I think it was watered down anti-seize. Synthetic anti-seize at that!

It's cool to see the metal shavings in oil from a failed engine or transmission. Some pretty cool colors! Too bad that "coolness" comes at such a price. :(

That doesn't explain the silver/gold metal shavings in his oil' date=' though.[/quote']

So Paul, what you think the chances are of being able to "if it is the chain" flush the motor out and change the tensioner and be good again?? Any chance the flake could just be from the chain sliding on the case and not caused any "real" damage??

Thumpertalk.com has a good DRZ section over there. I have gotten a lot of good tech stuff from them, check it out. Good luck, hope its not as bad as it looks or sounds.

Edited by bandit12

ive heard chain slap before, and it sounded nothing like todds bike....that sounds like major rod knocking - sounds like he spun a bearing

worth a shot i guess, but i wouldnt get your hopes up todd

From what I can tell, they have roller bearings. They don't "spin" in the journal like in a car. That's why there's a chance that it is ok, but then again, it has signs of being a bearing, such as prograssively getting worse, and the metal shavings. Unless one of the chain guides failed, I can't imagine where the metal shavings came from, unless it is a failed bearing.

Not to make anything sound any worse than it is but the cranks are a weak link in the DRZ 400.

The motors are noisy to start with but mine quieted down considerably by going with the manual cam chain tensioner.

Edited by bandit12

1. Install used engine.

2. Tear down current engine.

3. Decide: Pitch or Rebuild.

4. If above former' date=' reinstall rebuilt engine and sell purchased used engine.

5. Excessive wheelies.

6. Repeat.[/quote']

I see 5 and 6 being a part of MidgetTodd's life for a long time, with 6 being repeat the whoel scenario again.

Wut that bike has never been wheelied or crashed, it's a one one mint cream puff. Wheelies are dangerous.

Same for the 1000rr. I've never seen either bike have the front wheel off the ground. Well, unless you count lifting the sumo into Ben's truck last weekend.