Jail time for taping cops? Update...

YSR_Racer_99

although it should be a moot point, what I really dislike about this is that the rider had no intention of filming the police... He was filming, and the police intervened.

That's a little different than following a cop car around waiting for them to do something stupid. (which i've also heard of people doing)

Either way, it's a public service job, conducted 99% IN PUBLIC. without video evidence, we're left with the classic "who will guard the guards?" problem.

Sad thing is, nothing would have ever come from this, if he had not posted the video on youtube.

would that have been good or bad though?

The officer involved ought to be taking the heat he's getting. I'm trying to have a little faith in the courts to make the right decision.

the precedent this would set is insane, so i think common sense will prevail.

the wiretapping law only applies when someone has an expectation of privacy. a cop making a traffic stop does not. case should def. be thrown out.

the real problem is that these charges against him are retaliatory in nature. the cops are pissed because he posted a video that makes them look bad, so they fight back with some bullshit charge. real professional there guys. :rolleyes:

it wont stick...hes not the first person to get in trouble for this, and it will get tossed out just like it has every other time.

if you dont know the term, check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stare_decisis

and why is there another thread about this, claiming to have an update, yet failing to provide any updates at all?

the wiretapping law only applies when someone has an expectation of privacy. a cop making a traffic stop does not. case should def. be thrown out.

the real problem is that these charges against him are retaliatory in nature. the cops are pissed because he posted a video that makes them look bad, so they fight back with some bullshit charge. real professional there guys. :rolleyes:

Indeed. If only he had a case for illegal prosecution.

There is no logic in most of the courts anymore (i.e. a supreme court justice who has never ever been a judge at any level. Huh?). I have no faith in the courts nor justice system. The rule of law is overridden by politics and personal agendas. The cops should be held to a higher level of scrutiny and accountability, shouldn't they? Marines pride themselves on character. Not sure that police do...

To give respect you have to give respect. China is a police state. This sounds like the start of one. When you can't "police" the police, its a problem.

Sad thing is, nothing would have ever come from this, if he had not posted the video on youtube.

The fact the it was posted anywhere does not change the fact that it was a lawful recording. The "expectation of privacy" is the main factor and an office on the street with his gun drawn should expect none.