just ordered my Driod X

kawi kid

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats everyones favorite app? im gonna need some advice on what cool ones to look for!

My favorite app is the wallpaper app that harvests all of my passwords, browser history, text messages, subscriber ID and SIM card numbers and sends it all to China. :D

http://www.securecomputing.net.au/News/221554,black-hat-android-wallpaper-apps-could-be-stealing-data.aspx

http://news.techworld.com/security/3233833/hackers-break-into-android-phone-at-black-hat/?intcmp=ros-md-acc-p-nws

Edited by alienpi

my favorite app is the wallpaper app that harvests all of my passwords, browser history, text messages, subscriber id and sim card numbers and sends it all to china. :D

http://www.securecomputing.net.au/news/221554,black-hat-android-wallpaper-apps-could-be-stealing-data.aspx

http://news.techworld.com/security/3233833/hackers-break-into-android-phone-at-black-hat/?intcmp=ros-md-acc-p-nws

moar feer!

My 'new every two' was on the 21st. Ordered the X, the 'expected ship date' was 3 August.

On the 25th I r'cvd an e-mail stating it shipped, and it arrived on the 28th.

So far, I'm stoked. The size is not an issue to me, fits in my pocket and my hand just fine. The large screen makes it really nice for surfing and reading mail, plus gives you a much larger keyboard when flipped on its side.

I have not rooted it yet. Yes, I have the instructions. Yes, I have multiple geek certifications and could probably do it easily. I haven't found a need. Why, so I can share my WiFi, or tether for free, or kick my processor up a notch and overheat the phone? No thanks, runs fast enough, and I don't need to tether. If I've got a signal, I can get into work via VPN and do whatever I need to do. If I can't then I can call someone and have them do it or it can simply wait.

Apps:

- Advanced Task Killer - I know, I know, task killers are superfluous, it's Linux, you don't need one. All I can say is that the battery lasts A LOT longer when this is running in the background

- Amazon - spend monies from anywhere you've got a signal

- Barcode Scanner - scan a barcode in a store, maybe find it cheaper online or at another store

- Bubble Level (just kinda fun)

- Color Note - add an electronic sticky note - basically Notepad for Droid

- Documents to Go - read MS Office files (Word, Excel, blah)

- Goggles - Google picture taker, figure out what you took a picture of. Haven't used it, but put it on 'cause "everyone" says you "must" have it

- Key Ring - put your Kroger, etc. little loyalty card things on your phone instead of jammed in your wallet

- Handcent SMS - replacement for the standard messaging app

- Radar Now - one touch weather radar

- Touchdown - If you use Exchange/Outlook at work, you need this, basically mini Outlook

- Trapster - speed trap app. Can't get it to work, removing

- Voice - Google Voice control center sorta thing

- Wyse Pocket Cloud - I use this to get into servers at work via RDP, VNC, and manage VMWare Virtual Desktops from afar

And most importantly, a shortcut to ORdN - one touch access to this place.

Also put a screen protector on. I have one extra if you want it. Experience from my Storm shows it should last as long as the phone lasts.

a good case for someone who is prone to dropping his phone from like 8 ft in the air? i ordered my X on aug 2nd, and am still waiting. supposedly, it will ship on the 18th. that better be a pessimistic estimate cause my storm is definitely on it's last leg. i managed to bring it back to life but just barely.

a good case for someone who is prone to dropping his phone from like 8 ft in the air? i ordered my X on aug 2nd, and am still waiting. supposedly, it will ship on the 18th. that better be a pessimistic estimate cause my storm is definitely on it's last leg. i managed to bring it back to life but just barely.

same exact spot as you, verizon told me that ill be receiving mine in a few days. i hope this is true lol

same exact spot as you, verizon told me that ill be receiving mine in a few days. i hope this is true lol

number 3 here i had to order mine cuz my touch is slowly blowing up more and more daily. :lol:

My 'new every two' was on the 21st. Ordered the X, the 'expected ship date' was 3 August.

On the 25th I r'cvd an e-mail stating it shipped, and it arrived on the 28th.

So far, I'm stoked. The size is not an issue to me, fits in my pocket and my hand just fine. The large screen makes it really nice for surfing and reading mail, plus gives you a much larger keyboard when flipped on its side.

I have not rooted it yet. Yes, I have the instructions. Yes, I have multiple geek certifications and could probably do it easily. I haven't found a need. Why, so I can share my WiFi, or tether for free, or kick my processor up a notch and overheat the phone? No thanks, runs fast enough, and I don't need to tether. If I've got a signal, I can get into work via VPN and do whatever I need to do. If I can't then I can call someone and have them do it or it can simply wait.

Apps:

- Advanced Task Killer - I know, I know, task killers are superfluous, it's Linux, you don't need one. All I can say is that the battery lasts A LOT longer when this is running in the background

- Amazon - spend monies from anywhere you've got a signal

- Barcode Scanner - scan a barcode in a store, maybe find it cheaper online or at another store

- Bubble Level (just kinda fun)

- Color Note - add an electronic sticky note - basically Notepad for Droid

- Documents to Go - read MS Office files (Word, Excel, blah)

- Goggles - Google picture taker, figure out what you took a picture of. Haven't used it, but put it on 'cause "everyone" says you "must" have it

- Key Ring - put your Kroger, etc. little loyalty card things on your phone instead of jammed in your wallet

- Handcent SMS - replacement for the standard messaging app

- Radar Now - one touch weather radar

- Touchdown - If you use Exchange/Outlook at work, you need this, basically mini Outlook

- Trapster - speed trap app. Can't get it to work, removing

- Voice - Google Voice control center sorta thing

- Wyse Pocket Cloud - I use this to get into servers at work via RDP, VNC, and manage VMWare Virtual Desktops from afar

And most importantly, a shortcut to ORdN - one touch access to this place.

Also put a screen protector on. I have one extra if you want it. Experience from my Storm shows it should last as long as the phone lasts.

thanks man this gives me something to look forward to!!

anyone else using anything different?

brief search on google showed that people who ordered their droid X's on aug. 2nd, are starting to get their "shipped" confirmations. i hope mine is in the same boat (note to self, don't order from the store, order online... can't believe i gave sales commission to that fucking schmuck sales kid) cause my phone is just about dead. The end button doesn't work, the back button barely works, blackberry messenger doesn't work right anymore, etc etc.

advance task killer - zap those apps dead

handcent - replaces stock messanger

Bump - sends apps, contacts an pics, between 2 phones

easy teather - inter for you computer from your phone

city caller id - do i need to explain?

astro - file manager

imusic - DL music

homeswitcher - makes it easy to go between what home program you use

helixlauncher or launcherpro both work close but i dont think helix is 2.2 ready as it kept force closing on me when i updated.

motogp pocket - motogp news

motorsports calander - when motogp an wsbk races are

movies - gives you movie listings

mp3 download - once again dont need to explain.

no lock - makes it so yuo dont have to unlock yuor phone everytime to use it

openspark - link to your xbox live account

photobucket - upload directly to PB

ringdroid - allows you to make ring tones with loaded or DL music

skyfire - Inet browser

speedhub - speedo with g force measurements

sportstap - scores from your favorite teams

tikl - push to talk

ultimate faves - easy access to your fav. apps

urban dictionary - word of the day!

voicetask - records sounds (ringdroid does this also)

Those are what Ive got on my droid. use some everyday other just when ever

Just as a couple side notes: the Key Ring app, I use it for more than just key ring stuff (i.e. Kroger's, Petsmart, etc.). I put in all of my airline and hotel account numbers also. Seems a lot of others do as well since you can actually find Marriott, Delta Sky Miles, etc. from their list of stuff. And secondly, Easy Tether...just pay the $10 and buy the Pro version. With the Lite version you can't get access to some sites such as Facebook or banking sites. It's worth the $10 as I'll be using it a lot over the next 2 years. The Pro version also gives you support for doing VPN connections through it.

There's my .02 cents.

:D

just got my shipped confirmation. looks like it "shipped" on the 8th (which is a sunday, so they probably just picked it up) and i had 2 day shipping cause ordering from the store is ghey, so I'll get it on weds. looks like.

ATK - again battery lasts longer if there aren't a bunch of apps running

Astro - file manager

beyondpod - Podcast client

colornote - notepad

Directv - obviously doesn't help you if you don't have directv dvr, but if you do it's awesome...

droidlight - nice flashlight app

earth - alot like maps, but used differently

glympse - gps app to send anyone your current location whenever you want.

Gmote - control all your networked computers from your droid, and stream files live to your droid.

goggles - just fun to play with, but doesn't work on a lot of stuff

GPS speedo - check your speed

Iheartradio - clearchannel radio app.

latitude - Share your current position live with other droid users.

Yahoo mail - works better than built in mail client for Ymail.

My verizon mobile - only works through network, not through wifi.

photobucket - upload and download from your account (by default adds every new picture to your photobucket, so if you want to keep some pictures private, you should disable auto-upload feature)

Shazam - song tagging app

Spark - just fun

Speedtest.net - speed tester, works through network or wifi to tell you how fast your connection is.

steamy window - just fun

weather channel - more accurate than built in weather app

Trapster - speed trap app, if everyone got on it would be better, but most of the alerts are pretty old. (also it's a battery hog like the GPS cause it keeps the screen lit.)

Urban dictionary - learn what slang means.

i think i'm going to root it, put froyo on it (get rid of all that motorola crap) and go from there. really, that's the only reason i bought the phone (other than my storm had died from abuse)... cause i found out it was rooted in spite of efuse. actually, i dunno if it actually gets around efuse, but it's definitely been rooted and froyo'd. but froyo hasn't been rooted as far as i know. choices.

Edited by jbot

i think i'm going to root it, put froyo on it (get rid of all that motorola crap) and go from there. really, that's the only reason i bought the phone (other than my storm had died from abuse)... cause i found out it was rooted in spite of efuse. actually, i dunno if it actually gets around efuse, but it's definitely been rooted and froyo'd.

thought it came with froyo...

and screw efuse... I h8 that