Hitting the big 90k.

the_silverfox

Had the phone with me today so I took this picture of the FJR's speedo.

picture.php?albumid=1118&pictureid=12203&thumb=1

It ticked 90k in front of the Westerville Library. It's been a great three years with this bike and we've been through our share of ups and downs. A few more stats (because I somehow remember this stuff)...

Mile 1: Los Angeles, CA (April 26, 2007)

Mile 85000: Niagra Falls, ON (May 31, 2010)

Mile 90000: Westerville, OH (August 8, 2010)

It took 1201 days (3 years, 3 months, 14 days) to hit the big 90k mark. Looking forward for many more to go!

Here's some other fun milestones to add.

States crossed: 37

Countries visited: 2

# of Women On Wheels® International Ride-Ins: 3

Longest Round-trip Ride: 6200 miles (LA/Columbus/Kerville, TX/Roswell, NM/LAX)

Longest Single-day Ride: 1004 miles (Roswell, NM to LAX)

Miles since Flying Brick and I have been together: 70,000

Still shooting for 115,000. That's halfway to the moon. :p

So you've never had to open up the engine?!?! Just oil and tires on that thing?

Wow.

That was more of a loose statement. But seriously, just basic stuff and it's fine.

Actually, it got new spark plugs about a thousand miles ago. It's the valves I don't have to worry about on it. Service manual says inspection every 26.6k and even then it ended up to just be a visual check (the last one was done at 72k). That's when techs just said to hell with it and just keep on truckin.

That's a ton of miles on a motorcycle. only bike I've seen with more on it....... (you might want to sit down for this) was a mid 90s Ducati Monster M900 I think it was a carbureted one. It had 184k on the clock. He said after about 30k the valves and everything seemed to have settled in because they only needed adjusted about every 40k after that. He said he checked them every 20k. He mostly lived in California so he could ride year round. Bike was beat to shit, looked like it had never been washed but it completely defied the notion of Ducati's being unreliable. Guess those old air cooled motors were pretty tough. My air cooled is probably as good except for all the electronics.

Anyway, he camped with us at Mid-OH This year.

I found his bike on monster list if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2005aug/featured-aug05.html

ScruffyDuc01_small.jpg

Edited by vw151

That's a ton of miles on a motorcycle. only bike I've seen with more on it....... (you might want to sit down for this) was a mid 90s Ducati Monster M900 I think it was a carbureted one. It had 184k on the clock. He said after about 30k the valves and everything seemed to have settled in because they only needed adjusted about every 40k after that. He said he checked them every 20k. He mostly lived in California so he could ride year round. Bike was beat to shit, looked like it had never been washed but it completely defied the notion of Ducati's being unreliable. Guess those old air cooled motors were pretty tough. My air cooled is probably as good except for all the electronics.

Anyway, he camped with us at Mid-OH This year.

I found his bike on monster list if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2005aug/featured-aug05.html

ScruffyDuc01_small.jpg

While I respect the technician's experience' date=' I don't know if I agree with waiting until you hear valve chatter. If you can hear valve chatter, they've been out of spec for quite some time.

That said, kudos on the mileage and keep on keepin' on!! :)[/quote']

Pretty similar situation here. This bike was my car in CA, and when your commute is 45 miles one way through four of the worst freeways in the state (and possibly the nation) it's a major asset. Throw in a couple weekends and one-day trips up PCH-1, maybe Kern County, Julian, San Fran, and maybe Yosemite or Death Valley and the miles just rack up while you're on the twisties.

Not surprisingly, lots of CA riders put away their bikes for a couple months when the winters drop down to 40 degrees. Pussies. :D

Ducatis never struck me as unreliable but rather a little more high maintenance than other bikes. That's awesome for a Duc, and I've heard that maintenance schedules are much better with the newer models.

As for the valve chatter, I hope I never hear it. Although I'd probably consider inspections at longer intervals than the normal 26.6k, say 35k or so.