I-270N(West Side) 8/16 Green/White Jordan Logo Sport Bike

SirAlienJ

I think the answer is in here somewhere. On a crowded freeway, getting too close to a vehicle in front while trying to eyeball a spot in another lane, is a high risk behavior. That's gotten me in more jams than anything else.

And I've found that if I can get up along side a vehicle's driver and put on my turn signal, they will let me go change lanes without being surprised. Pissed maybe, but not surprised. Still a risk. Won't get there much of any faster. Enjoy the ride instead. Find the adrenaline rush somewhere else.

And I'm not saying how small the gaps are that I've squeezed through. I think I'd even be surprised. I pretty much don't do that when riding with others.

edit: rapid lane changing on bike or car/truck will draw attention of the unwanted kind real quick. Almost anyone will get a ticket for that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That my friend, is an assumption, and you can assume you are wrong.

Do most people break the rule on occasion? Probably. Do all people break the rule? No.

Don't think that just because you do everyone does. Remember, you are cool, we are not. Being the awesome person you are is what separates you from the rest of us lame folks and what makes you cool. ;)

So, you agree with me. I said "on average" - not everyone...

The cool comment is pretty old at this stage.

So, you agree with me. I said "on average" - not everyone...

The cool comment is pretty old at this stage.

Either. 2-3 seconds is what you are told in driving school. Nobody does that. Car or bike...

I don't see on average anywhere in this post. I see that you say nobody follows that rule. I said some people break it on occasion.

That is not agreeing. I don't agree with you.

I don't think I've agreed with anything you've said in this entire thread.

Basically you've advocated riding like 270 is a track.

When you got called out for that, it all the sudden became about how drive cars.

Dumb is dumb, car, bike, snowmobile, giant big wheels, whatever.

No worries, We have laws for this kind of thing, a guy named Darwin wrote them.

Oh and I agree, the cool thing is getting old. You can just be awesome from here on out.

The real issue here is that we are talking about 2 different things:

1. Sportbike stopping distance. 400 lbs. of plastic at 200 mph coming to a screeching halt on one tire... defying the laws of physics.

2. Harley stopping distance. 1000 lbs of chrome sliding helplessly for a half mile after the rider "had to put 'er down".

1. Sportbike stopping distance. 400 lbs. of plastic at 200 mph coming to a screeching halt on one tire... defying the laws of physics.

2. Harley stopping distance. 1000 lbs of chrome sliding helplessly for a half mile after the rider "had to put 'er down".

Sounds about right. :D:springer:

Who wants to trade some paint on big wheels?

I'm down. I'll even let you pick the hill.

In.
When do we turn this into a "yo mama" joke thread? Hopefully soon.
Yo momma so fat, she sat on a quarter and squeezed a booger out of George Washington's nose.

i hope this is sarcasm...it doesnt matter what bike youre on, if youre that close to a car youre getting fucked up....and stoppies dont make u stop quicker...2 tires with traction > 1 tire with traction...

if youre joking, disregard

i hope this is sarcasm...it doesnt matter what bike youre on, if youre that close to a car youre getting fucked up....and stoppies dont make u stop quicker...2 tires with traction > 1 tire with traction...

if youre joking, disregard

sorry... next time I'll use the sarcasm smiley.

I'm NOT a regular poster here, but I do lurk on a semi-daily basis, so I guess I'm putting myself up for flamin'....

I'm kind'a surprised at all the hootin' going on among members about what is a purty simple topic: that of riding safely on a crowded high-speed public highway. I can think of a whole lot of arguments 'FOR' and not very many 'AGAINST'. That being said, here's a few points I wanna make:

This forum is called Ohio-Riders, not 'Really-Slow-Newb-Streetriders' or 'Gnarly-Squids-Illegally-Riding-in-Private-Lots' or 'Super-Fast-Track-Racers-with-UltraMan-Leather-Suits'. 99.9% of us ride the majority of our yearly miles on urban/suburban streets at mostly legal speeds. Purty sure all of us try really hard to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up so we can return to our wives/kids/SOs intact and unharmed. Absolutely sure we all face the same hazards together: cagers, stupid/inatttentive drivers, surfaces like asphalt, concrete, guardrails, and telephone poles that are way harder than our soft outer shell and inner skeleton that holds us togther. Also sure that when s--t goes REALLY wrong, we all suffer the same fate of grievous--and all to frequently, terminal--injury.

Please note also that the OP was writing in the 'Daily Ride' column, not the Track- or Stunt-oriented column, so arguments for riding like ya stole it on the X-Way are kind'a silly. I'm gonna be 60 this October and I've been riding since I was 15. To be fair, I used to ride like a fool (even tho I might be a little faster now vs then) and am absolutely convinced that only extreme good luck and the Hand of the Almighty kept me from being a statistic when I was younger. I've owned two Harleys (found them to be nice cruising bikes, but way to heavy, too slow, and too expensive) and a s--tload of Jap bikes, ridden dirt/MX and broken 13 ribs and both collarbones and spent a week in the hospital in London, KY. I also like to ride fast thru the twisties, but find my personal speedometer seems to max out at about 25-over posted limits. I'd love to try track riding where I could enjoy the thrill of triple-digit speed without worrying about manholes, curbs, and little old ladies driving big white buicks, but I don't have the cubic cash to lay out for replacing hard parts if I fail/fall. Some of the older riders here may say "With age comes wisdom" while some of the younger riders will say my nutz have shrivelled and I'm a pussy. Fair 'nuff. I know I'm not as fast as I used to think I was...

Anyway, a discussion is one thing we can all have, but getting personal with the insults over what seems to be/should be a non-debatable subject is a waste of electricity.

So, you are saying that you leave at minimal, a car's length in front and behind you when changing lanes between cars when you are driving? You also are saying that you leave over 5 feet in front and behind you on your bike?

I would say 95% of the time yes I do.

I'm NOT a regular poster here, but I do lurk on a semi-daily basis, so I guess I'm putting myself up for flamin'....

I'm kind'a surprised at all the hootin' going on among members about what is a purty simple topic: that of riding safely on a crowded high-speed public highway. I can think of a whole lot of arguments 'FOR' and not very many 'AGAINST'. That being said, here's a few points I wanna make:

This forum is called Ohio-Riders, not 'Really-Slow-Newb-Streetriders' or 'Gnarly-Squids-Illegally-Riding-in-Private-Lots' or 'Super-Fast-Track-Racers-with-UltraMan-Leather-Suits'. 99.9% of us ride the majority of our yearly miles on urban/suburban streets at mostly legal speeds. Purty sure all of us try really hard to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up so we can return to our wives/kids/SOs intact and unharmed. Absolutely sure we all face the same hazards together: cagers, stupid/inatttentive drivers, surfaces like asphalt, concrete, guardrails, and telephone poles that are way harder than our soft outer shell and inner skeleton that holds us togther. Also sure that when s--t goes REALLY wrong, we all suffer the same fate of grievous--and all to frequently, terminal--injury.

Please note also that the OP was writing in the 'Daily Ride' column, not the Track- or Stunt-oriented column, so arguments for riding like ya stole it on the X-Way are kind'a silly. I'm gonna be 60 this October and I've been riding since I was 15. To be fair, I used to ride like a fool (even tho I might be a little faster now vs then) and am absolutely convinced that only extreme good luck and the Hand of the Almighty kept me from being a statistic when I was younger. I've owned two Harleys (found them to be nice cruising bikes, but way to heavy, too slow, and too expensive) and a s--tload of Jap bikes, ridden dirt/MX and broken 13 ribs and both collarbones and spent a week in the hospital in London, KY. I also like to ride fast thru the twisties, but find my personal speedometer seems to max out at about 25-over posted limits. I'd love to try track riding where I could enjoy the thrill of triple-digit speed without worrying about manholes, curbs, and little old ladies driving big white buicks, but I don't have the cubic cash to lay out for replacing hard parts if I fail/fall. Some of the older riders here may say "With age comes wisdom" while some of the younger riders will say my nutz have shrivelled and I'm a pussy. Fair 'nuff. I know I'm not as fast as I used to think I was...

Anyway, a discussion is one thing we can all have, but getting personal with the insults over what seems to be/should be a non-debatable subject is a waste of electricity.

:goodpost:

On a related note: death, mayhem, destruction! Blood runs red on the highway! This just sent from our HR dept at work:

For informational purposes only and to help you plan your way home this evening - several main roadways are closed due to vehicle accidents. According to www.wews.com:

Both northbound and southbound lanes of Interstate 271 are closed following a multi-vehicle accident Monday. Oakwood police said the accident happened on I-271 in Oakwood Village around 12:30 p.m. Access to I-271 northbound from State Route 8 in Macedonia is closed. Eastbound and westbound lanes of Interstate 480 in the area are also closed.

Officers are on the scene diverting traffic around the area.

Oakwood police said there is no word on how many vehicle were involved in the crash or if anyone has been injured.

Traffic is being diverted off of I-480 in Twinsburg, where traffic is at a standstill. East and westbound traffic on State Route 82 in Macedonia is also backed up. Northbound traffic on I-271 was backed up 2 miles before the Macedonia exit.

ALSO:

The eastbound lanes of the Turnpike are closed between State Route 14 and State Route 44, and traffic is significantly backed up in that area.