91 Octane in Dayton area?

Tigerpaw

I still see high octane (91/ 92/ 93) at most stations. I would guess that it may not be the freshest, due to minimal use. Only a few smaller mom and pop shops (i.e. Marathon in Clarksville) only offer 87 octane, on all of their pumps.

Used to be a place near Linden and Woodman that sold Turbo Blue, and I would bet that there's someplace in/ near Xenia that sells race fuel, due to Kil Kare.

I used to run 92/ 93 in my bikes "because they use so little" (which isn't true. My 250 gets about 33 mpg), but tried 87 a few weeks ago and didn't notice a real difference. But it was hot as snot out, too, so maybe I was hallucinating.

Thanks F4isvt. Sunoco @ Fairfield/DaytonXenia had it.

I believe in using what the manafacturer recommends. 91 is what's called for in my LS3. I've been using 92, and am happy with it...but wanted to find 91. In theory, it will be cheaper and more efficient. After I run a few tanks through, I will reset the computer and flog the hell out of it.

Thanks F4isvt. Sunoco @ Fairfield/DaytonXenia had it.

I believe in using what the manafacturer recommends. 91 is what's called for in my LS3. I've been using 92, and am happy with it...but wanted to find 91. In theory, it will be cheaper and more efficient. After I run a few tanks through, I will reset the computer and flog the hell out of it.

There will be ZERO difference between 91 and 93. Nothing even remotely noticeable. Maybe 1* of timing? I run anywhere from 91 to 94 in my LS1 and she eats it all at a ferocious rate (damn 42lb injectors) with no problems.

The manufacturer recommends no less than 91 octane. Meaning anything above 91 is perfectly fine, just burns slower.

Little different scenario, but a few years ago, my parents bought an Infiniti J30. USA owners manual dictated 92-93 octane ("premium fuel"). The Canadian owners manual for the exact same car stated that 87 or higher was to be used. Asumedly, computers would control the knocking/ pinging, as most cars do now. Bikes aren't as computerized, of course. Even after I pointed it out, dad would never put less than 92 in that car.

Little different scenario, but a few years ago, my parents bought an Infiniti J30. USA owners manual dictated 92-93 octane ("premium fuel"). The Canadian owners manual for the exact same car stated that 87 or higher was to be used. Asumedly, computers would control the knocking/ pinging, as most cars do now. Bikes aren't as computerized, of course. Even after I pointed it out, dad would never put less than 92 in that car.

Sometimes that's dictated by locale. West coast can only get 91, they always want 93. Any new car can adjust for using a lower grade of gasoline, but you are going to have reduced engine performance and worse gas mileage just to save literally $3.

87 octane: $2.65/gallon x 15 gallons = $39.75

93 octane: $2.85/gallon x 15 gallons = $42.75

YSR_Racer_99: Don't forget different countries use different ways to calculate "octane ratings". PON(RON+MON/2) vs Ron vs MON

**To clarify,the 91 is for may car(as recommended by the manual). I use 87 in the bike(as recommended by the manual) and am happy with it**

Edited by Tigerpaw

Meaning anything above 91 is perfectly fine, just burns slower.

that's not what higher octane means.

octane is a measurement of a fuel's resistance to pre-ignition. that means it resists self igniting before the spark comes from the plug.

it has nothing to do with it's burning rate

Edited by serpentracer

octane is a measurement of a fuel's resistance to pre-ignition. that means it resists self igniting before the spark comes from the plug.

Wouldn't "burns slower" translate to a resistance to pre-ignite? I.e. resistance to combustion.? Not trying to be a smart ass so don't read sarcasm into my question

Higher octane fuels do in fact burn slower after ignition. They also have a tendency to be more stable under higher heat conditions, hence the added resistance to pre-ignition. You are correct in saying that the octane rating is a measure of the resistance to pre-ignition. But I am not wrong in saying that any octane rating higher than the previous one will burn slower. 89 burns slower than 87, 91 burns slower than 89, 93 burns slower than 91...etc.

http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/Commerce/Gasoline_Octane_Facts_102902052227_OctaneFacts.pdf

http://www.bajajusa.com/High%20Octane.htm

Edited by RSVDon

Higher octane fuels do in fact burn slower after ignition. They also have a tendency to be more stable under higher heat conditions, hence the added resistance to pre-ignition. You are correct in saying that the octane rating is a measure of the resistance to pre-ignition. But I am not wrong in saying that any octane rating higher than the previous one will burn slower. 89 burns slower than 87, 91 burns slower than 89, 93 burns slower than 91...etc.

http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/Commerce/Gasoline_Octane_Facts_102902052227_OctaneFacts.pdf

http://www.bajajusa.com/High%20Octane.htm

I stand corrected I suppose. but I remember vp saying it doesn't actually burn at different rates. it's just harder to ignite.

Edited by serpentracer