Who's Most Likely to Fail the Background Check?

chevysoldier

Interesting read from military.com.

Background Screening Hit Ratio Report 2007

Kroll's 2007 Hit Ratio Report provides key statistics for the seven most common employment screening criteria, plus detailed analyses of industry-specific hit ratios for 13 industries. It is derived from a sample of Kroll’s Background Screening clients across a variety of industries and company sizes.
If you’re working in construction, there’s a good chance you’re laboring next to someone with a criminal past. But if you’re working in the nonprofit sector, you’re more likely to be sitting next to someone who has lied about his education.

Those differences came to light when Kroll analyzed “hit ratios” for the eight most common employment screening criteria to calculate what proportion of the potential employees it screened for various industries stretched the truth or left important information off their applications.

It found that more than 51 percent of real estate industry folks had at least one late payment on their credit history, 48 percent lied about former employment and more than 40 percent had a not-so-clean driving record. In financial services, nearly 7 percent of applicants had criminal records, nearly 48 percent fudged something about former employment and 21 percent lied about their educational credentials. Those in education flunk drug testing at the highest rate, nearly 9 percent.

“Based upon the results we see, people at all levels stretch the truth,” says Barry Nadell, a senior vice president of Kroll’s Nashville-based Background Screening division.

I worked one place, that realized that since they didn't have a drug test, that tons of their applicants were addicts. It was a national problem, they were just slow getting around to doing testing. So they decided to suddenly "test everyone they had recently hired" to fix the problem. That included three of us just hired from Rockwell. I said ok, but whoever is asking has to take one also. I wasn't joking, and I never heard another word about it.

Fun background/Drug test facts.

From the Redwoods Insurance Group (my last employers' underwriter)

96% of pedophiles don't have a criminal background. Meaning all the safety procedures to keep pedophiles away from children automatically fail since they're dependent on a pedophile having a criminal background.

And after a quick google search:

It looks like the hard drugs metabolize out of your system in three days to a week. The one drug that doesn't metabolize quickly is marijuana (specifically THC). So the drugs that cause dangerous behaviors and psychotic episodes aren't caught as often as the drug that encourages the purchasing of Phish albums.

That's why cocaine is becoming the "businessman's drug."

Both present illusions of safety and control though, so we keep them around.

Good job Recon. Drug test one, drug test everyone.

Both present illusions of safety and control though, so we keep them around.

its huge amounts of money for drug testing companies. so they keep pushing to get everyone tested. they dont care about safety. its all about the benjamins.