Ninja 250R opinions.

cg2112

I'm considering buying a sport bike in the near future. Right now I ride a cruiser, which is perfect for riding to work, which is primarily what I use it for, but would like a bike soley for enjoyment.

Money is limited, but I've seen plenty of Ninja 250R's that are cheap-ish. Even new they're $4K or so.

BUT, it's a 250. My fiancee has a Suzuki GZ250, and it feels almost like riding a little dirt bike. Anyone ride the Ninja 250R much to be able to say whether or not if feels like a substantial bike? Or does if feel more like an approximation of a sports bike, the way a Honda Rebel is an approximation of a cruiser?

I had one, it was a fun bike. I would definitely recommend checking around and comparing the Ninja 250, 500, and 650. You should be able to find any of those for a decent price used and each one I would consider a good entry level sportbike. I would think that since you are not new to riding the 650R or 500R would be more satisfying as a "fun" second bike. Just my 2 cents, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

For the money, you can't beat the 07 and older 250's, for a small, cheap sportbike. If you look around for a couple weeks, you'll see one for really good deal, the miles will be low, and it will likely be ready to ride. Also, the 50-70 MPG is hard to pass up. For reference, I get around 50-55 MPG, because I ride the shit out of it. Last year, I was getting better mileage, but I wasn't using as much of the bike.

The little bike also handes very well. On most group rides I'm able to stay up toward the front, unless they get going over 75-80 between turns (not that anybody here would break the speed limit :rolleyes:).

I know other people say get a 500, 650, etc... other bike, but the performance vs. price isn't that much, from what I've seen.

One big thing to consider is rider size. The bike's borderline too small for me, and I'm just under 6 ft. and weigh around 180. Much taller and it will probably get pretty cramped. That is where the bigger bikes, such as the EX500, EX650, SV650, etc. would probably be better.

for what a decent 250 will cost you, I'd buy an F2 or F3.

the 250 is a great bike, but its strength is flickability and corner speed. I hold back on both of those aspects of riding on public roads.

for street riding, I find the most enjoyment in good acceleration, and more 'planted' handling. A 650 would be great, if you can find one cheap enough, but like I said, old Honda 600's should be pretty cheap and easy to find.

I have a 250 but I have just been riding for a few months. If you have been riding for awhile then I would suggest something bigger. The analogy to the Honda Rebel is accurate. They are great starter bikes, nothing better in my opinion but riders seem to out grow them fast. Also if you have highway riding to do on your commute then you will want something bigger a lot sonner. The ninja can do highways but there isn't much throttle left and it really gets blown around.

However, if you want to buy I would like to sell mine.

The 250 is a great bike. It has more than you need for public roads. If you try one out... it is normal to keep it in the upper RPMs. You can ride all day @ 12,000. It does not get "blown" around on the highway any more than another bike...if you relax your arms/posture. The tires are tall/narrow this makes it respond to the tiniest of steering inputs, and easier to steer in general. The bike itself is not that much smaller(or lighter) than current 600 supersports. It also has a more upright riding position that I find very comfortable(yet you can tuck if you want to).

You can find the '08+ in top condition/low miles for $3,000 all day long. I have seen as low as $2,500 in excellent condition/low miles. Watch Craigslist.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Edited by Tigerpaw

Personally having bought an 09 Ninja at the end of 08 spending more than $2k on one is not a good plan, the new ones look really nice but you'll pay $2k for aesthetics. 500/600 cc bikes can be had all day for $3k so why spend the same for less? Look for an older ninja around the $2k price point or dump the extra $1k and get a 600. IMHO.

FZ6R is a good bike for someone looking to get into sport bikes,

its has a comfortable riding position, they are decently priced (still find NEW 09's)

might find yourself riding it to work more than the cruiser

In my opinion the 250 will be fun at first, but that will go away fast.

Buy a used bike, or spend a little more for a FZ6R or 650R or something similar.

Just my opinion though, best of luck with your decision!

I'm not tired of my Ninja 250 yet. :dunno: You can ask around a bit, a few people have seen that I don't go easy on it either.

Would I like to have a 600 supersport, of a VFR? Yes. Can I ride with groups of supersports on the 250 (without getting left behind)? Yes, as long as they're not trying to do triple digits all the way. For spirited group rides, I will probably continue to ride the 250, since the suspension is much better on it than my VF500.

I guess I just don't feel the NEED for a penis extension (aka... big bike.)

I have had an 09 250r for about 3 months now and its my first bike. Im a bit to big for it (6"4' but I still fit well enough) but I wanted to take it easy first time riding. My only complaints are on the freeway theres no punch and get out of the way throttle and the seat sucks. Its an awesome in town bike especially with the mpg and buy used and youll be able to sell it for what you bought it for and these bikes sell all day on craiglist quickly. Since youve been riding for awhile youll prolly like something a little more advanced/powerful.

It does not get "blown" around on the highway any more than another bike...if you relax your arms/posture.

Now I am looking for a FZ6 or SV650. But don't know yet. Having trouble getting anyone interested in the Ninja. Craigslist is swamped with bikes right now.

Good luck on the decision.

Edited by Bubs

Or maybe you're scared you'll pee your panties if you get something that out accelerates a Kia. :dunno:

:D

Nah, I could just wear depends if that was the case.

I only ride on the street, and the 90-ish MPH top speed is well about the posted speed limit here in Ohio. If I had started on anything much bigger, and faster, you probably would have read about me wrapping it around a tree or something.

Or maybe trying to split a deer in half? :dunno: