truck transmission help!!!!!!!!!!

grapesmuggler27

Ok heres the deal I have a 5.7l vortec in my suburban. When I bought of a month and a half ago I was told transmission was replaced well 2000 miles.later it seems to be slipping but when it does finally shift its smooth and not a big clunk like I've felt in other cars with bad transmissions. It almost like its forgetting to shift? Yes it got fluid and it looks nice and cherry red. Is there a sensor or somerhing that could be bad? No check engine light are coming on. Any help?

I should have asked more questions!

What gear does it do this in? Is the Service Engine Soon light on? If so, have you had the codes checked? I know the 4L60E transmission pretty well, which is what should be in your 'burban.

Did you not read it? no Check money light.

Old world diagnostics... vacuum leak... especially if it's slipping when shifting to top gear.

Also, check for leaks around the sides of the transmission. There's one seal there that can do that. (o-ring) don't know if that model tranny has that though. 80% of transmission problems can be fixed without pulling the transmission.

By leak are you talking about transmission fluid? And where would I check for said vacuum leak? Is it a small vacuum hose or a seal? By the way I don't see a fluid leak anywhere

Any vacuum leak anywhere, that would drop the vacuum that is used by the transmission. This means nothing if Jporter or ChevySoldier says that yours is a transmission that doesn't use vacuum to shift. I'm just relating to similar problems on old transmissions I've had. They are both way more up to date on stuff than I am.

Other than that, a real good shop manual will have diagnostics for this.

edit: I'm reading that this transmission shifts using solenoids from input from TPS and ECM. I'd check for trouble codes even if the check engine light isn't on.

Edited by ReconRat

Any vacuum leak anywhere, that would drop the vacuum that is used by the transmission. This means nothing if Jporter or ChevySoldier says that yours is a transmission that doesn't use vacuum to shift. I'm just relating to similar problems on old transmissions I've had. They are both way more up to date on stuff than I am.

Other than that, a real good shop manual will have diagnostics for this.

edit: I'm reading that this transmission shifts using solenoids from input from TPS and ECM. I'd check for trouble codes even if the check engine light isn't on.

Yeah, there are no vacuum connections to the trans. It's all electronic.

I have to disagree with you on the 80% of problems being fixed without pulling the trans, too. Unfortunately, by the time most people realize that somethin's not right, it's too late and serious damage has already occured, especially with all the electronic controls that tend to compensate when things aren't right.

Yeah, there are no vacuum connections to the trans. It's all electronic.

I have to disagree with you on the 80% of problems being fixed without pulling the trans, too. Unfortunately, by the time most people realize that somethin's not right, it's too late and serious damage has already occured, especially with all the electronic controls that tend to compensate when things aren't right.

I can believe that. Let's say that 80% could be corrected if caught early. And I didn't think about electronic controls masking the problems. Bummer... I'm an old time mechanic, youse youngsters with your fancy stuff, geez...

edit: I did read in the hotrodders.com forum that a bad 1-2 solenoid can cause a failure to shift to fourth. There's no diagnostics for that, and it doesn't even make sense. But apparently it worked for someone. A typical trial by error seems to be to replace both solenoids and see what happens.

Edited by ReconRat

The electronis in most GM transmissions are pretty reliable, with the exception of some of the early force motors. I bet I've replaced less than 5 shift solenoids in GM transmissions.

The solenoids do have screens on them that get clogged when a transmission fails, or gets excessively worn.

those are easy to replace. but expensive.

I would however let a transmission shop recalibrate the transmission with a scan tool and see if that helps.

we had a dodge minivan at our car lot and let a trans shop recalibrate it because it shifted funny and it shifted like a new one after that.

those are easy to replace. but expensive.

I would however let a transmission shop recalibrate the transmission with a scan tool and see if that helps.

we had a dodge minivan at our car lot and let a trans shop recalibrate it because it shifted funny and it shifted like a new one after that.

There's nothing to recal on that.

What did the trans shop say the specific problem was? Sorry I didn't get back with you today, I was pulling the trans out and apart from a Ranger. Tomorrow will be likely getting into a 4L60E in a Suburban, same as your's. I have to put a fuel pump in that one to get it running first, so I know what's wrong with it!

It's not shifting to second and third only gears I have is first and fourth. Said pretty sure the bands are burnt out.

No reverse as well? Sun gear shells break all the time, and cause no second, fourth, or reverse. If the band is burned up, the thing wasn't built properly, and should be gone over really thoroughly. If it's just the sun gear shell busted, they make a super heavy duty version called "The Beast" that I haven't had a failure out of yet. If it's just the sun gear shell, that would be a few hundred cheaper than a complete overhaul, depending on the shop.