Corner Slippage

n0rbertt

Been breaking in the new sport demons I got and have had a slip up or two of the front wheel when going around a turn. Starting to wonder if maybe I'm just to big for the bike (240lbs) and this combined with the skinny tires(small contact patch) is the reason for me slipping. Any ideas?

1 Why do you think it was a slip and why do you think it was in front.

2 What was the corner radius and what was your speed.

3 Was this on a street or track

4 Have you adjusted your suspension/tire pressures?

5 Yes you are too big for a Ninja250

Edited by flounder

I've felt what I'm guessing you're experiencing. I hesitate to call it actual slip, but it feels very "loose".

A couple things come to mind that I've experienced or been told. Don't be afraid the lean over the tank in turns to get some weight over the front tire. The bike is so light that shifting your weight around makes quite a bit of a difference.

The next thing is moving to the side of the seat a bit in turns. Move a bit to the left in a left turn, right in a right turn. This tends to reduce the lean angle a bit, and keeps your bike planted a little better.

The last thing is to make your turning more with the bars than leaning into it. Push the bar to initiate the turn, more than just leaning it over. I'm not sure if I'm describing it right, but when I do this, the bike seems to turn better than just naturally leaning it over. In reality, I'm sure it's pretty close to the same, I just try to make more of a deliberate push on the bars when taking a turn pretty hard than when just cruising.

I would say that you are pretty close to being too big for a Ninja 250, knowing the size and weight of the bike. The one thing I think would make my bike perform better would be suspension work. They's not setup ideally for anyone from the factory. Some emulators and the proper springs for you would go a long way, which is something I may never do, since I want to get something else eventually, and let the wife ride the Ninja.

1 Why do you think it was a slip and why do you think it was in front.

2 What was the corner radius and what was your speed.

3 Was this on a street or track

4 Have you adjusted your suspension/tire pressures?

5 Yes you are too big for a Ninja250

1. I was in the turn and it felt like the tire just lost grip , I instinctively went to put my foot down to keep from low sliding , but the tire caught before it came to that.

2. Was just a normal left turn into a housing development , speed was about 20-25 mph.

3. Street

4. New tires , I assume they did the pressure ? Perhaps I should check that. No suspension work yet.

5. yes.

1. I was in the turn and it felt like the tire just lost grip , I instinctively went to put my foot down to keep from low sliding , but the tire caught before it came to that.

2. Was just a normal left turn into a housing development , speed was about 20-25 mph.

3. Street

4. New tires , I assume they did the pressure ? Perhaps I should check that. No suspension work yet.

5. yes.

Rider Error or you ran over some dirt/gravel or something slippery. No way in hell you would loose grip just from turning into your housing complex at street speeds.

How many miles on the tires? Are you just scrubbing them in? They can be slick for a while. When I slid in a turn this morning, I stood the bike up a little straighter and allowed it to regrip, and then leaned it back into the turn... always seems to work for me.

You are big for the bike (about my size- I'm 6'4" and around 250 with gear). Have you cranked the preload up on the suspension? It might be worth a shot.

New tires are slick. Were there any "tar snakes" on this particular turn? Those can be very slick. The tires on your bike are probably a hard compound and will not grip as well as most sport bike tires. I would have to suggest against putting your leg down in a turn that could really screw you up. Get your self some good gear helmet, boots, gloves, pants.

not sure why you guys are thinking new tires are slick, one progressively hard left and right turn and they're good for me. i've only run michelins though.

There was an article about this with one of the tire manufacturers (Pirelli maybe) a while back saying basically the same thing. Older tires may have been slick, but modern tires aren't made or mounted the same way anymore and aren't.

Rider Error or you ran over some dirt/gravel or something slippery. No way in hell you would loose grip just from turning into your housing complex at street speeds.

Be gentler on the boy, Floundy. After all, at 20-25mph, those death wobbles and front tucks are very common!

Seriously, no way you lost the front if the pavement wasn't dusted with dirt/stone, etc...

Even at 50 psi, it would have held. However, if they were under inflated, they'd act like they over steered and can cause the front to fall inward on a turn rather quickly.

Slip the front? No way...

I doubt this is like the guys that say they spin up the rear all the time...;)

There was an article about this with one of the tire manufacturers (Pirelli maybe) a while back saying basically the same thing. Older tires may have been slick, but modern tires aren't made or mounted the same way anymore and aren't.

^^^ This. I still do take it easy for a little bit on new tires, but just because they're new, and will handle differently than the worn ot ones that were just taken off.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. At that speed, I can think of nothing other than road condition that would cause a slip. Also, at 200+ you are pushing the Ninjette pretty hard. At 190, I give my daughter's 250 a pretty hard time. If you want to continue riding this bike, you do need to upgrade the suspension.

Edited by KimR

True, its been debunked cuz tires are better today. Nowadays they say mount and rip!

This is weird. Only thing I can say is that I've slipped on invisible dust on corners after rainstorms put the crap there. And it's common in residential areas on slow speed turns. Basically, if there was a storm drain on that corner, that might have been it. I tend to give storm drains a little room, I go around them. There's always crap there.

Edited by ReconRat