why do i have the feeling 90% of arai owners know what this is like

El capitan

Yeah if you don't know the proper way to change the arai shields they can be difficult. Might just want to keep a spare set of base plate covers as when models get discontinued it can be hard to get the covers sometimes, especially for certain graphics.

Yeah if you don't know the proper way to change the arai shields they can be difficult. Might just want to keep a spare set of base plate covers as when models get discontinued it can be hard to get the covers sometimes, especially for certain graphics.

i know the way to change em' i've done it a million times. just so happens that this time it didn't go smoothly. they really need to get a better design.

i'm going to order 2 sets i think just to be safe. after that i'll just by the tinted smoke ones that are flying around fleabay

if you lid is less than 5 years its replaced for free.

http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=59#/helmets

I had mine replaced. They even sent me plain grey ones until they could send me the right ones that matched my helmet.

thats cool, and it would be sweet to have an extra set. i just made an account with them before i made the thread. i'm waiting to hear back from them

FWIW - I have a Profile that had one of the side pods pop off recently. Got in contact with Arai since it was still under warranty and luckily their place was only 45 min. from my parents, so I just dropped it off on my way there.

Got talking to one of the guys and apparently they've had issues with the older generations of those side pods (obviously). One thing they did mention is that they've found Windex (or any typical window-cleaning stuff) weakens the plastic inside the pods. Some guys hose down their helmet with it and there's no good way for it to get out once it's in those pods, and over the years it just turns the plastic brittle and it eventually just lets loose. So when they say the best way to clean it is warm water, they mean it!

I would just buy 1 side cover and be done. Just buy another good helmet (other than Aria) and use the Aria as your tinted or clear sheild helmet. So you wouldnt have to fool with it. Shark Helmets are the sweetest. I have one and all you have to do is turn the metel peices down and push the button on each side of the helmet. It doesnt get any easier!

SharkHelmet001.jpg

SharkHelmet002.jpg

FWIW - I have a Profile that had one of the side pods pop off recently. Got in contact with Arai since it was still under warranty and luckily their place was only 45 min. from my parents, so I just dropped it off on my way there.

Got talking to one of the guys and apparently they've had issues with the older generations of those side pods (obviously). One thing they did mention is that they've found Windex (or any typical window-cleaning stuff) weakens the plastic inside the pods. Some guys hose down their helmet with it and there's no good way for it to get out once it's in those pods, and over the years it just turns the plastic brittle and it eventually just lets loose. So when they say the best way to clean it is warm water, they mean it!

i use spray detailer.. its slick and smells good. not to mention it keeps from getting those hairline scratches.

Looks like your shark has already taken a hit there....

Hey just a little low side and face grind..LOL..Still very useable..Getting it repainted next week to match my R1. Old school Kenny Roberts bumble bee colors. Like my R1...Cant wait to see it. Should look familiar to the Colon Edwards replica.

rx7rr5_edwards_ye_bs.jpg

Hey just a little low side and face grind..LOL..Still very useable..Getting it repainted next week to match my R1. Old school Kenny Roberts bumble bee colors. Like my R1...Cant wait to see it. Should look familiar to the Colon Edwards replica.

rx7rr5_edwards_ye_bs.jpg

I sooo want that helmet!! :bow:

I haven’t had any issues with my Arai yet. Arai owners, keep your eye on this website. Their in the works of making a transition shield, it will adapt to all light conditions. No need to carry to shields with you even again.

http://www.shieldtechllc.com/index.php

^^ Those are pretty cool, but not sure that its worth it to be to drop $100+ on one. But interested to see them once they come out. Kudos for the find!

No problem, I’ll be sure to give you guys a heads up when they hit the streets.

I see you're from N Ridgeville and have a RC51. Did you know a Chris Draudt? He had a RC, and was the President of Dreco Plastics.

I haven’t had any issues with my Arai yet. Arai owners, keep your eye on this website. Their in the works of making a transition shield, it will adapt to all light conditions. No need to carry to shields with you even again.

Scorpion sold photochromatic (photochromic) shields for a while. Iron Pony couldn't get many, and they sold quickly. I never managed to find one. Some other company bought the supplier of that item, and it hasn't been seen since. Bell currently sells them for the Bell Star. Maybe that's where all the production went to. edit: I looked on the Bell helmet website, and it's not shown for sale. Dunno... Guess we wait for this Shield Tech to start up. This technology so far has a history of failure.

I did find some for sale though:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/17680/ITEM/Bell-Transistions-Photochromatic-Shield-for-Star-Vortex-Helmets.aspx

Edited by ReconRat

Scorpion sold photochromatic (photochromic) shields for a while. Iron Pony couldn't get many, and they sold quickly. I never managed to find one. Some other company bought the supplier of that item, and it hasn't been seen since. Bell currently sells them for the Bell Star. Maybe that's where all the production went to. edit: I looked on the Bell helmet website, and it's not shown for sale. Dunno... Guess we wait for this Shield Tech to start up. This technology so far has a history of failure.

I did find some for sale though:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/17680/ITEM/Bell-Transistions-Photochromatic-Shield-for-Star-Vortex-Helmets.aspx

Agree, the stuff they put in them to change the tint doesn’t last long. I had bought a Scorpion Helmet from Mid-Ohio a few years back, when they had their tent set up there. I bought the shield for $60 (the one that changes shades in the light). It only held up for a year, then it was just stuck on a light smoked look. It never changed shades again in the light. I hope this new company, gets it right this time. Defiantly a cool idea!

No problem, I’ll be sure to give you guys a heads up when they hit the streets.

I see you're from N Ridgeville and have a RC51. Did you know a Chris Draudt? He had a RC, and was the President of Dreco Plastics.

Nope, sorry. Don't recognize the name. I do see an occasional RC around the area, but not familiar with who owns them.

I hope the Arai shields will be the same price as the Akuma ones they have for $99. I'd definitely pick one up. Not much more expensive than an Arai iridium shield.