Tigerpaw Vs. Deer

Tigerpaw

I'm banged up, but OK.

On 9/9/2010 me and a friend were riding west on Hilltop Rd, Xenia. It was dusk. I know the road well(just north of KilKare). I accelerated out of the 15 MPH curve. Reached approximately 45 MPH, saw Bambi come in from the left and stop, centerline. I braked and swerved to the clear area on the right. As I got close, she darted farther right, and we crashed. My buddy said I momentarily left the bike, but immediately was under it and the 100 lb deer sliding 30 feet down the road. Came to a stop inches from a sign post and another huge fencepost. He lifted the bike off of my side. It took me a few attempts to get up, as I head rattled my head some. After being a little woozy I walked away from the incident with minor scrapes and bruises. Police/EMS/Tow truck handled their business.

Wearing full gear head to toe saved my life. It also kept me out of the hospital.

Now Progressive needs to assess the bike. It will almost definitely be a loss.

The wreck has spooked me some, and the wife alot. I 50/50 want another bike. Time will tell.

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12499&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12482&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12484&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12485&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12488&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12487&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=12486&thumb=1

I had a guardian angel watching me that night. Any number of variables, and I wouldn't be here. I also thank my friend who got spooked watching it happen, but was there when I needed him.

Good news is you're okay, bike can be replaced...

Give it a couple of days before you make any choices.. I hit a deer two years ago and was injured pretty bad... I said through the whole recovery I wouldn't ride again, but after you get over that initial scare, if gets easier to climb back on one...

I've rode almost 4500 miles this year and best choice I made was to ride again...

Edited by b00g2003
typeo

Shit happens man and everyone crashes eventually. Prepare for it (like you did) and dont let it spook you from riding.

Oh, and the next time you see a deer in the road, try to aim for its ass and hope it spooks and runs by the time you get there, like they do in NAPCAR. :D

Glad you walked away.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I went window shopping for a new bike: all types/makes/models, today. I want them all.

Will start posting some random parts/accesories/bolts/manuals for the '08 Ninja 250R...soon. I honestly don't want to deal with the hassle, and would rather hook up a local with "box of parts" for " $XXX.XX".

Thanks for all the kind words.

I went window shopping for a new bike: all types/makes/models, today. I want them all.

Will start posting some random parts/accesories/bolts/manuals for the '08 Ninja 250R...soon. I honestly don't want to deal with the hassle, and would rather hook up a local with "box of parts" for " $XXX.XX".

Well that was quick! Good for you. Get back in that saddle. Too many learn about the importance of gear the hard way. Good choices pay off. I'm really glad you're ok.

I was half seriously thinking of something like this after my crash. Of course I was drugged up high as a kite, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. You would probably want a smooth blade so the deer didn't stick.

Yea, this was designed by a guy who hit a deer and totalled his bike too.

bikeblade.jpg

Edited by ShawnR

I was half seriously thinking of something like this after my crash. Of course I was drugged up high as a kite, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. You would probably want a smooth blade so the deer didn't stick.

Yea, this was designed by a guy who hit a deer and totalled his bike too.

bikeblade.jpg

Haha, thats awesome!