SR555 Ohio's Tail of the dragon

vw151

Some say that this is Ohio's equivalent to the tail of the dragon (US129 on the border or TN and NC) *I am not sure if that is true but I can assure you that my knees hurt at the end of this 30 minutes of video and we had more to go after that. *555 continued on after this, followed by 676 into Marietta and then we hit up 26 and 260 on the way home all of which were fantastic SE Ohio roads. *Although I love the Appalachian valleys, there truly is nothing like SE Ohio. *

Anyway, enjoy the footage of me elegantly lugging my air cooled Ducati out of corners at less than 3k rpm at times. *Leisurely enjoying the corners. *:) *Seriously, the bike was made for this, while superbikes work their asses off to carry speed in these corners, this bike, with it's straight bars and silly torque over light weight body and motor destroys these roads. *The only weak point is me, who can barely carry my giant gurth over the foot pegs as I have to hang off the bike in these corners going about 35mph. *

and for the critics.... yes I blew a few corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_3KRkSfnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BagIQpIUtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey992fRHTv8

Edited by vw151

you blew a few corners ( crossed the yellow line) quite a few times.. lucky there wasnt any cars coming at those times

true, the wide angle lens is deceiving though. I assure you I could see I had room in those instances.

None the less, I was really tired by middle of part 2. I'm pretty huge. I try to stay on my side of the road.

You'll note that at the end of part2/beginning of part3 I had to pass some harleys and there was no way to get around other than over the center line in corners. I'm a criminal I know. ;)

Edited by vw151

Gravel/Sand in every other corner an the pavement is shit!

WTF is the burning rubber smell for the last half mile?? Seriously just kidding.... :)

Haha, true, I got a camera bag stuck in my wheel and my tire still has a groove in it and my 35mm F2 lens was completely ruined among other small things.

555 was pretty clean last week but I agree it is hit or miss in terms of gravel. Just bustin your balls a little.

Get to the track already you fag!!!!

Gravel/Sand in every other corner an the pavement is shit!

Almost all of it was repaved last fall. It's been beautiful all year. I've been down there a handful of times. Less gravel than Hocking, that's for sure.

PS: Only girls are scared of gravel.

Almost all of it was repaved last fall. It's been beautiful all year. I've been down there a handful of times. Less gravel than Hocking, that's for sure.

It was really good last week. Then we got on 676 which was decent for the first 10 miles then race track smooth for the last 10 miles. Mmmmmm.

Two sets of tires on the VStrom have lost their chicken strips down there this year. :D

the monster lost it's reverse chicken strips down there last week.

reverse chicken strip; the blistered up part of the tire left over from the last time you were at the track or tail of dragon. :)

Haha, true, I got a camera bag stuck in my wheel and my tire still has a groove in it and my 35mm F2 lens was completely ruined among other small things.

555 was pretty clean last week but I agree it is hit or miss in terms of gravel. Just bustin your balls a little.

Get to the track already you fag!!!!

I had a tear in my eye for your lens haha.

the section between ringold an chesterville is absolute garbage.

I would if i had the cash or days off. Your as bad as smElliot an Uncle Jessie at nagging me haha. We are heading back to the gap oct 8th an coming home on the 10th.

If i had been on my sumo I woulda ramped that shit, instead I was on the Trumpie and first time lost both front an rear in some sandy gravel shit, an two corners later lost the rear on some gravel. Made my starfish get tighter but I kept going.

After the adventure parks and I had on the section of 555 that we were on, I was far from impressed so I had no desire to give any more of that road a chance that day. I've heard though that the section north of where we were is fun and the section south of where we ended is better. we ended up on the shithole section of the road.

true, the wide angle lens is deceiving though. I assure you I could see I had room in those instances.

None the less, I was really tired by middle of part 2. I'm pretty huge. I try to stay on my side of the road.

You'll note that at the end of part2/beginning of part3 I had to pass some harleys and there was no way to get around other than over the center line in corners. I'm a criminal I know. ;)

It's far from an equivalent to the Dragon.

And wether you could see or not, going over the yellow line is still a failure

Think of the yellow line as the edge of the road. If you make it a habit going over, and thinking it's okay there will be that one time that it's not going to turn out so pleasant.

If I go over the yellow I just tell myself I should have died, I'm just lucky nothing was coming the other way.

I've never been on the triple but I've been wanting to make my way down to it. I've gotten a lot of mixed reviews on the road but I hear it's still an enjoyable ride. There are plenty of roads left to hit when you're finished with the triple making the trip worth while.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Think of the yellow line as the edge of the road. If you make it a habit going over, and thinking it's okay there will be that one time that it's not going to turn out so pleasant.

If I go over the yellow I just tell myself I should have died, I'm just lucky nothing was coming the other way.

I've never been on the triple but I've been wanting to make my way down to it. I've gotten a lot of mixed reviews on the road but I hear it's still an enjoyable ride. There are plenty of roads left to hit when you're finished with the triple making the trip worth while.

we will have to make a day of it and ride the whole thing