Saddlesore 1000

LoneRanger

Nice! I'm still waiting for my IBA number too. Did an SS1000 in August from Columbus to Spartanburg, SC and back. That was 1100 miles and 21 hours thanks to a number of thunderstorms in NC, SC, and WV. FJR, Corbin seat, and XM Radio FTW!

• 3 months later...
Sporttour' date=' this a loop around the lakes? That may pique my interest, but just flat slab ain't my thing. Do they have "2-lane" iron butt rides?[/quote']

I did an around the lakes ride a few years back - it's pretty muich flat and boring. The north shore of Lake Superior in Canada was kinda cool as far as the view of the Lake, but that was about it.

Black flies were thick as shit and you don't wanna be on the road near dark due to all of the moose and ohehr wildlife crossing the road.

An Iron Butt ride can be over any route and roads you want - you just have to verify it to meet the IBA standards. We do a saddlesore evey summer - at least once - on the trips out west. You're welcome to come along on the next one.

Edited by Earache

What kind of scratch would I have to set aside for something like that' date=' AcheyEarz?[/quote']

It's pretty much however much ya wanna spend.

The week long trip of about 3,500 miles or so will burn 100 gallons of fuel at $3.10 (todays' prices) , so $310 in fuel

Hotels are around $100 per night divided by two guys per room, so $450 in rooms

Food and drink make up the rest. I don't eat breakfast or lunch usually but do like a few beers and a decent dinner, so $30 a day covers it. Say $300 then.

So it'd be around $1,000 expenditure for 8-9 days of riding. If you had double that to spend, then you'd have no worries at all.

Some folks don't mind 3 or more people to a room to keep their costs down. I like a bed - no floors - and am willing to pay for it. You could also camp, but ya have to haul a lot of gear with you for that.

$100/night seems high. Do you guys use a 'rewards' program to get a discount at all? I typically don't spend moar than $60 on a room with the program I use. I just stayed at a Ramada in Maine and it was $39.95 for double bed' date=' non-smoking digs. I also try to map out my hotels in advance, which is where the savings comes from. You may not go that route. Being pinned to an itinerary is a bitch, sometimes.[/quote']

Earache had the best hotel "rewards" program ever :( but if you are a grown ass adult why not stay somewhere nice.

$100/night seems high. Do you guys use a 'rewards' program to get a discount at all? I typically don't spend moar than $60 on a room with the program I use. I just stayed at a Ramada in Maine and it was $39.95 for double bed' date=' non-smoking digs. I also try to map out my hotels in advance, which is where the savings comes from. You may not go that route. Being pinned to an itinerary is a bitch, sometimes.[/quote']

A lot of the places we go only have one hotel - you pay their rate or you don't get a room:cry: I don't like to stay in shitholes just to save $15 either.

I meet my wife at Gateway, Colroado on most trips and the suite there is $699 a night, regular rooms are around $160 a night. The $100 a night thing is just an average to use for planning purposes.

Earache had the best hotel "rewards" program ever :( but if you are a grown ass adult why not stay somewhere nice.

Stayed free at the Hilton in Santa Fe again this week.:D

Did you keep track of how much you spent on the trip you took out west? That was a pretty cheap trip with 3 guys in the room.

Wife can get us an employee rate at Marriotts - just not that many of them out in Bumfuck, Utah. That rate is $39 to $69 a night, depending upon where the hotel is, etc.

...because I'm a cheap bastard. If I save $15/hotel four nights in a row.. that makes Friday's hotel/dinner "free". Granted' date=' I don't want to sleep in a fucking dive, but my idea of a dive is a door that doesn't lock and a community shower.

Yeah... $160/night ain't happening for me. I sleep on the bed. I piss in the bowl. I shower in the tub. I leave the same door I entered the night before. I don't see $160 in that formula.

Sounds like I'll have to stick to the Appalachians and iron butt the mountains. :([/quote']

baller

34h9euu.jpg

not baller

i3tg9l.jpg

baller

34h9euu.jpg

Yeah... But that's in Peru, where our dollar is actually still worth more than theirs... So you probably only paid like $.72 for that room, & had a Vietnamese family & their yack sharing that 2nd bed next to yours

Endurance riding is subjective. To some people a long day riding consists of 400 mile; to others a long day of riding is 1000 or 1600 miles. IBA certifications appeal to two types of people - riders who do a ride once as a challenge, and riders who ride the distance as a norm. Either way it can be fun. To each his own.

i would like to do one of these at least once just to get it out of the way... but for the most part, i'll stick to track days and hitting backroads in SE Ohio and WV. I'd like to try some PA roads next season, i hear they are the cat's meow.