oxford heated sport grips install

oldschoolsdime92

Well, I recieved my grips today. I am unsure if I am happy with them or not. My install will explain.

Upon opening the kit, everything appeared to be very good quality.

100_1089.jpg

My bike-

100_1090.jpg

The grip installed. Felt real nice in my hand.

100_1093.jpg

They provided a nice little bracket to mount the controller.

100_1096.jpg

heres the controller.

100_1097.jpg

Now heres where things get kind of irritating. Once i got everything installed, my grip suddenly felt strange when I put my hand on it.

100_1100.jpg

Apparently it ripped? I have emailed the company, with pictures. Hopefully they will make things right?

Very strange. I've seen that happen to BMW heated stock grips but not until they're over 70-80,000 miles or the bike's over 10 years old. I'm curious to see how they'll react to this warranty claim, because 7/8" bars is 7/8" bars is 7/8" bars.

I got the heated grips installed on my bike. The only issue I had is that I angled the power cord on the throttle grip so that it was just short of hitting the brake lever at full throttle. Then I set the angle of the power cord on the left grip to match where the throttle grip cord is at rest (down/towards me about 45deg). Well that means the power cord wound up right where my left thumb needs to be! (Right thumb is fine because I don't ride with the throttle closed!) Luckily the bar ends on my bike are long so I just put my left hand 1/2 further out. If I did it over I'd have the left grip power cord point straight down, symmetry be damned.

Also, the power cord takes up 1/4-1/2" from the inside edge of the throttle grip... Consider this when you want to run the heated grip with a throttle lock. My vista throttle lock adds another 1/2"-2/4" to the inside edge, so my right hand is displaced outwards enough to mean I'm resting my pinky on the bar end.

They have grantid me a replacement grip and should be shipping here soon. I had to jump through some hoops but in the end we got it squared away. First they wanted the grip. I wasn't cutting the grip off and sending it back and being out my money and a grip. So with some emails back and fourth, they decided they wanted a picture of my throttle tube, and questioned my bar size. In the end of it all I sent them pictures of my calipers measuring the bar showing they are 7/8s bars. I also Had to link them to the vendors site where it said these grips fit my bike. Once I had done all that they decided to grant my warentee claim. My hands are very happy!

You can't turn the hand warmers off or turn them down. And they cost will eventually catch up.

If you put them in your palms they interfere with your grip on the bike. You'd have to put them on the backs of your hands and then that skin is very thin - would you get burned? They won't keep your fingertips warm either.

I rode 800 miles yesterday - set off at 32F and the temps never got above 60. The heated grips were perfect. I could tunr them up/down/off. If my hands got too hot then taking them off the grips for about 30 seconds made my hands cold again. My fingertips never got cold. The controller on mine is chrome (well, silver plastic).

I've done handwarmers and I've done heated grips - I'll stick with the heated grips.

• 2 weeks later...