Opinions on 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Hoblick

i have been seriously considering trading in my Civic SI for a new Hyundai Sonata.

I have seen a few on the road and absolutely love the design of the car. Hyundai is really bringing the heat with this car.

I went and checked them out sunday, and looked at the different trim packages they offer. im pretty set on the SE trim.

which includes, 18" wheels, sport tires, sport tuned suspension, dual exhaust, paddle shifters, leather and cloth sport seats, chrome grill and other misc trim, 200hp 2.4l 4cyl (gets 36 mpg, but checking on the web there is claim to get up to 42mpg) push button start, proximety key fob, xm radio, power seats, ipod, usb hook up, and more that i cant remember..

im kinda torn between getting the SE with the navigation and moonroof package, or a SE with the 2.0 turbo motor (274hp)(with no navi or moonroof)

both are about the same in price, and i got them down to just a hair over 23k

i havent driven the turbo model yet. but the 2.4 na SE was a great riding car with good power for a daily driver. the options in the car, creature comforts make the car a great experience.

im leaning towards the non turbo model with navi, just because id rather have the better stereo navi unit, instead of the more hp. it will be my daily commuter, and the car we drive pretty much anywhere we go long distance. but a test drive in the turbo model could change my mind.

jsut kind of wanted everyone elses opinion on the car.

i have driven an accord and even though i work at honda, i still see the hyundai as the better value, more options, better looking car, more room, and less money.

im not a toyota fan so a camry is out of the question..

and the others to choose form in the same category are the mazda 6, hate the sytling, nissan altima not really digging the styling or price, ford fusion bleh!

some pics of the sonata

!!gn1Ch!CWE~$(KGrHqUOKjUEyK,d1R)YBMuffbVJL!~~_4.JPG

08.jpg

11.jpg

Interior_4.jpg

2011_hyundai_sonata_dsh_fd_1_717.jpg

My girlfriend (tomcatsbackpack) just bought the elantra after someone totaled her yaris, and I have to say that I was not sure about hyundai, but I was completely proven wrong. The feature, and styling for the price cannot be beat. Not to mention there are no extended service agreements necessary. 5 year/50,000 miles on the entire car bumper to bumper and 10 year/100,000 miles on the drivetrain and major components and all of that include free roadside assistance. Oh, and for a bigger, better in every aspect car she is paying less for it than her yaris.

Go see tyler at dennis hyundai on billingsley rd (right off of sawmill and 270). He is a great guy and was very knowledgeable and low pressure. Tell him chris bowman from hhgregg and Karissa boeckman sent you.

Which dealer are you working with? I'm in the market for a new Sonata as well. I'm leaning towards the turbo Limited with Navi., but still need to do a test drive on the turbo. The SE did get some knocks in all the reviews I've read due to suspension settings.

My mother-in-law test drove the sonata ...and then went and bought another Altima 2.5; an SL this time, instead of the S i just bought from her. I don't mean to complicated your search, but consider the Altima. I think you'd pay more like $20k instead of $23.

I seem to be in the minority, but I don't like the new Sonata's styling. I preferred the look of the old car. YMMV.

But it's almost universally agreed that the new 2.4 liter I-4 is a HUGE improvement over the old I-4 it replaces.

I didn't know that there was a 2.0 turbo model. the optional engine was previously the 2.7 V6 that's in my wife's Tucson (because we HATED the old I-4). I have nothing bad to say about the 2.7 except that it's a little thirsty; but then I also use it primarily to tow my bike to the track...

But here's what I'm really curious about - why do you want to get rid of your civic Si?

I like the new Sonata, I have driven an 09 model (my Dad's ride) several times and I really like it. He had a 2005 Elantra before that and it was a great car as well, never an issue. I drive a Kia van (Hyundai Entourage) and have piled the miles on it with no issues whatsoever. The only thing to remember with Hyundai/Kia vehicles is that in order to keep the 10yr/100k warranty good you have to have ALL of the services done and documented on time. The 30k 60k 90k are usually at least 300-400 dollars for the service, and it is recommended to have the dealer do them because I have heard stories of people having outside shops do the work and then Hyundai/Kia not honoring the warranty if it wasn't documented correctly or if one part of the service was not done. Also, I don't know about the oil filters and such for the new Sonata, but my van is kind of a dealer only item, none of the local auto parts stores stock it. Not a deal breaker but something I thought u may want to know. I would definitely recommend Hyundai as a manufacturer, they have proven to be reliable vehicles for myself and my family.

Edited by drew95gt

My wife drives a 2003 Elantra GT, bought new, it has over 160,000 miles on it now.

It had a bad tie rod end, fixed under warranty, other than the typical maintenance and/or upkeep, that is the only issue we have had so far.

I was completely against her getting this car because of it being a Hyundai, she insisted this is the car she wanted, and I was proven wrong about my thoughts on a Hyundai.

The Sonata should be a great reliable car for you in my opinion.

I have tried to get my wife to consider one, but she wants something with 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive instead.

However, if you work for Honda, don't you think you should support them? They are after all paying your paycheck.

Just my 2 cents.

+1.

Having said that, the Sonata is a great car. A SI is much funner to drive however. What year is your SI?

The new Sonatas look amazing considering what they are.

If I was looking for a sedan it'd be near the top of my list of test drives. Having said that, I'd probably take moonroof and navi over turbo as well... but I love my turbo, so that's a tough one.

My SI is an 04, its ridiculous slow really, its only 160hp..

its a light, small hatchback... and its a decent daily.

the wife hates driving a manual, and my SI is a stick.

so if we ever go somewhere we usually take my civic, and if i get tired and need her to drive she either doesnt, or panics when driving my car.

plus my car is cramped and if we have family come up, we either try to pile into my civic or take someone elses car, its just time to get something bigger, four doors, a little more features..

thanks whoever it was who said the stuff about the warranty.. i wondered how picky they were about that stuff. cause i want to change my own oil, so im gonna get something in writing from them if i can that says i can do my own oil changes as long as its documented.

I don't have any first hand experience with the Sonata but we just bought a 2010 Hyundai Accent GS and so far we love it.

Got it from Dennis Hyundai over off of Sawmill next to Byers Mazda. 10yr/100K mile warranty.... nice.

My SI is an 04, its ridiculous slow really, its only 160hp..

its a light, small hatchback... and its a decent daily.

the wife hates driving a manual, and my SI is a stick.

so if we ever go somewhere we usually take my civic, and if i get tired and need her to drive she either doesnt, or panics when driving my car.

plus my car is cramped and if we have family come up, we either try to pile into my civic or take someone elses car, its just time to get something bigger, four doors, a little more features..

thanks whoever it was who said the stuff about the warranty.. i wondered how picky they were about that stuff. cause i want to change my own oil, so im gonna get something in writing from them if i can that says i can do my own oil changes as long as its documented.

I thought maybe you had a newer one. I had a blue 04 and it was slow. My current 08 SI sedan is much better with more room and it's a lot faster. I got the sleeper color.:p

1000658hw.jpg

as far as supporting honda because i work there..

i would get into a debate situation with you, but it would take me all day to explain why i dont care. really its just to much to get into

No need to explain anything to me Hob.;) Edited by Kritz

Had a new 2010 as a rental out in Salt Lake City for the World Superbike races this past spring (had 7 miles when we got in it)... it was a decently loaded I-4 w/ 6 speed auto. I thought the ride was pretty nice... great acceleration, good gas mileage, ran along at 75-80 no problems, and can say it did do around 110 across the Bonneville Salt Flat with no drama!

Put 700+ miles on it in a week and was very impressed.

The bluetooth and USB port for MP3's was also slick.

If looking for a decent mid 20k car... I would say it has to be at the top of the consideration list!

Cause Hatfield's are any better? :D

Kia...kia...kia...Hatfield kia

True, but putting out a pseudo political commercial with two annoying dickshit voiceover actors makes me want to run every hun-die into a tree on the freeway.

And Dont even get me started about those Killed In Action cars. Have you ever tried to change a tail light in one? Lets just say they dont make it easy because they done expect the POS to outlast the tail light.

Fuckin deathcans.