Arizona set to ban state affirmative action programs

chevysoldier

AZ is the shit.

It's about time someone stepped up to do this shit. I missed out on becoming a Cincinnati Police Officer about 3-4 years ago due to this shit. I scored a 94% on my test and got through most of everything else, only to lose out on some spots to guys/women that scored in the mid-high 80's. What a fucking joke. If my life is on the line, I want the next best covering my ass...don't care if you're white, black, yellow, brown, or fucking purple.

Unless you are running for president of the united states lol

Every president meets the minimum requirements. No first term president has ever held the position before so how is anyone "qualified" for the position? What criteria beyond what is already established do you suggest we add? I have one, prior honorary military experience.

What criteria beyond what is already established do you suggest we add? I have one, prior honorary military experience.

I like that. God knows it would be a different political landscape if you had to have military experience to run for office.

Being the leftwing nut that I am, I'm all for affirmative action. Just different affirmative action. Quotas (which I'm pretty sure are gone now anyway) and hiring initiatives don't work and certainly do nothing to help ease racial tensions.

The fact of the matter is, it's still a huge advantage to be white in this country (except for at McDonald's. They don't hire very many white people, and the few that they do have, they force to wear ties all day). You can see this pretty much every day if you work in a corporate office in Cincinnati (which is almost half black now) or in Dayton (which is 40% black).

The problem isn't hiring policies or racists in the workplace, the problem is way more institutionalized than that. And I know everyone gets pissed off about government spending, but I really think that the solution is to throw more money at the problem. Improve schools in areas with large black populations, create better adult education programs, etc.

And I don't think that it's only the government who should be throwing money at the issue, either. Private corporations should be doing the same thing. Case in point: Anyone ever go into the Roselawn Kroger before they closed it (which is another issue altogether, I won't get into that here)? The place was a shit hole. Broken carts, shitty parking lot, poorly maintained building. Meanwhile, cut over to West Hamilton, and the Kroger is awesome. Great condition, very well maintained, brand new carts rotated in on a regular basis. When the world tells you "this is what you deserve" from birth, just how motivated are you going to be? Will you believe that you're even able to achieve?

I agree, affirmative action programs generally don't really do what they're supposed to, and should be ended. But not because we're even close to equal access and equal opportunity. They should be ended and replaced with long term impact, that gives everyone the tools to succeed from the get go.

Being the leftwing nut that I am, I'm all for affirmative action. Just different affirmative action. Quotas (which I'm pretty sure are gone now anyway) and hiring initiatives don't work and certainly do nothing to help ease racial tensions.

The fact of the matter is, it's still a huge advantage to be white in this country (except for at McDonald's. They don't hire very many white people, and the few that they do have, they force to wear ties all day). You can see this pretty much every day if you work in a corporate office in Cincinnati (which is almost half black now) or in Dayton (which is 40% black).

The problem isn't hiring policies or racists in the workplace, the problem is way more institutionalized than that. And I know everyone gets pissed off about government spending, but I really think that the solution is to throw more money at the problem. Improve schools in areas with large black populations, create better adult education programs, etc.

And I don't think that it's only the government who should be throwing money at the issue, either. Private corporations should be doing the same thing. Case in point: Anyone ever go into the Roselawn Kroger before they closed it (which is another issue altogether, I won't get into that here)? The place was a shit hole. Broken carts, shitty parking lot, poorly maintained building. Meanwhile, cut over to West Hamilton, and the Kroger is awesome. Great condition, very well maintained, brand new carts rotated in on a regular basis. When the world tells you "this is what you deserve" from birth, just how motivated are you going to be? Will you believe that you're even able to achieve?

I agree, affirmative action programs generally don't really do what they're supposed to, and should be ended. But not because we're even close to equal access and equal opportunity. They should be ended and replaced with long term impact, that gives everyone the tools to succeed from the get go.

I have some black people that I need you to call and tell them they aren't allowed to be successful. Most hoods were nice at one time, the people that live there made it that way. Stop making excuses and it is amazing how easy life can be.

I have some black people that I need you to call and tell them they aren't allowed to be successful. Most hoods were nice at one time, the people that live there made it that way. Stop making excuses and it is amazing how easy life can be.

Who said they weren't allowed to be successful?

Making excuses? You're theory, that blacks are just lazy, may be easier, but it ignores, well, pretty much everything about our society.

Who said they weren't allowed to be successful?

Making excuses? You're theory, that blacks are just lazy, may be easier, but it ignores, well, pretty much everything about our society.

Nope I need you to call my black friends and tell them they are not allowed to be successful because their kroger sucked. It's not black white it's rich poor. Your assumption that blacks need help is ignorant and displays your lack of faith in them.