It might finally be time...

SWing'R

I've got my email converted over to the portable version of Thunderbird on my external drive

and firefox the same way now so let the sucker die, I don't care!

No problems, shutdowns or reboots since cleaning it out though :)

• 3 weeks later...

It died today. :mad:

Guess it was inevitable. OS is corrupted and power supply is shutting down

a few seconds after powerup.

Most likely gonna have to wait until after Christmas before I can replace it,

gonna share the wife's pc and use my work laptop until then.

i'll see i have a spare power supply sitting around. they're not expensive though. get on newegg. they are cheeeeeeeeep

I've had lots of little quirks with this system over the past 6months or so,

I think its just time to replace it and keep some of the parts for spares.

i only say that cause a wonky/failing power supply can make lots of symptoms appear.

I could probably replace the ps myself but honestly I'm tired of

screwin with it.

I'll replace the whole pc later, pull the dvd/floppy drives and the new

video card I just put in it not long ago, and the ram, save that stuff

for spare parts. Probably install the old hd as a secondary in the new pc

once I get it.

For now, I'm just gonna use the wife's pc and our netbook, the netbook

ain't bad, I just need a keyboard for it, I have it plugged into my pc monitor

right now but the small keyboard drives me crazy.

• 1 month later...

Ok so for the past month Melissa and I have been sharing her pc.

As of this morning I've officially confiscated it :D

I moved it over to my desk, took my widescreen monitor and moved it to her desk and rigged up the netbook

for her to use with the widescreen monitor. I'm using the older standard flatscreen with the older pc, the netbook works

better with the wide anyway. I setup her email on the netbook, migrated her from outlook express over to thunderbird portable.

All is good again. Sharing was a challenge :o

Oh and since the netbook may be getting a little more use then it used to I bought a chillpad for under it,

but I have to pickup a small usb hub cause the thing only has 3usb ports and I need a couple more,

especially if we need to hookup the external cdrom drive.

All 3 are in use...

1-receiver for wireless mouse/keyboard,

2-external hd switch,

3-chillpad

Currently she needs to unplug the chillpad to plug in the printer if she needs to print.

And if we need the external cdrom drive that takes 2 ports!

A wireless router with a couple USB's would help you out. Printer to one, hard drive to the other, access them from both computers from the network! I LOVE having networked printers, at home and here at work. For the printer, you could also just share it from the desktop, to use it that way on the netbook.

For the chill pad, you could use a wall plug to USB adapter. Then you'd still have free usb ports!

Just a couple options for you that could work out better in the long run.

A wireless router with a couple USB's would help you out. Printer to one, hard drive to the other, access them from both computers from the network! I LOVE having networked printers, at home and here at work. For the printer, you could also just share it from the desktop, to use it that way on the netbook.

For the chill pad, you could use a wall plug to USB adapter. Then you'd still have free usb ports!

Just a couple options for you that could work out better in the long run.

Our router doesn't have any usb's on like you mention. Right now I have a

switch for the external hd and a switch for the printer, either pc can use

the printer or hd by switching to it.

I thought of the AC/USB thing after I posted that message, I may do that for the chillpad.

Our router doesn't have any usb's on like you mention. Right now I have a

switch for the external hd and a switch for the printer' date=' either pc can use

the printer or hd by switching to it.

I thought of the AC/USB thing after I posted that message, I may do that for the chillpad.[/quote']

Actually, you can hook the printer and the hard drive to the desktop PC and share them both to the netbook, and it would be the same as they are attached, and not have to bother with a switch of any sort. Having them attached to the router (when it's an option) it reduces the chances of a problem on a computer from screwing up the drive that's just attached to the network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038&cm_re=asus_rt_n16-_-33-320-038-_-Product

flash it with tomato or dd-wrt and you'll have wireless network usb printing, plus 1 extra usb port accessible over the network.

Not worth the $$ at this time. Setup works as is, just have to keep the printer unplugged

from the netbook until you want to use it. For a few dollars I'll pickup a 4port

usb hub and a ac/usb adapter, all will be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038&cm_re=asus_rt_n16-_-33-320-038-_-Product

flash it with tomato or dd-wrt and you'll have wireless network usb printing, plus 1 extra usb port accessible over the network.

That's about what I'm looking for, just not right now. My D-link is getting old, and the range sux since one of the antennas got broken. :(

• 2 months later...

Finally picked up a new pc today, got it from MicroCenter, was hard to pass up the price ($279) since I don't

have any crazy needs for a super-computer, just needed "new".

Got this one... http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354436

Finally picked up a new pc today' date=' got it from MicroCenter, was hard to pass up the price ($279) since I don't

have any crazy needs for a super-computer, just needed "new".

Got this one... [url']http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354436

Nice price on the PC, let me know how you like it...I am in the market for a new inexpensive desktop since my old laptop is about ready to bite the dust. Would like a Mac, but can't justify the extra $$$ at the moment plus I already use my Ipad for darn near everything anyway. What all comes with the package, everything but the monitor right??

What all comes with the package, everything but the monitor right??

Yep. So far I like it, just need to get used to Win7.

Some of my older software doesn't work with it, kinda expected that :(