Another arrested for videotaping cops

Casper

Without the time or money to fight the case, Luna decided to agree to the deal. He was charged with the lesser crime of creating a public disturbance.

When the judge asked if he was guilty, he said no, Luna recalled. “The judge explained I have to plead guilty,” he said. “At that moment when I said I’m guilty, I felt like I was going against myself.”

and that is what is wrong with the system. I did think it was 'cute' that he accepted the deal, then plead not guilty in court. He was tellin the fuckin truth! lol

You know' date=' it's perfectly legal to shoot a police officer for trying to falsely arrest you.. in Ohio, anyway.[/quote']

Well, if you didn't know it was cop and you thought it was some wierdo trying to cuff you so he could throw you in his truck, take you to his house, drag you to the basement and call you Bubba. I'd think it's justified.

Well, if you didn't know it was cop and you thought it was some wierdo trying to cuff you so he could throw you in his truck, take you to his house, drag you to the basement and call you Bubba. I'd think it's justified.

Kind of like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjjF55M8JQ&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, that could be a sticky situation.

Yes. At the 3 second mark you could of blasted him if you were quick enough. Unless of course you were engaging in an unlawful activity then you probably wouldn't think the guys out to kill you.

re: the original story. I would want to know if he was standing close enough to be interfering with the arrest, or making the police have to actively watch him to make sure he didn't suddenly jump in. There is an officer safety issue involved with a member of the public standing close to a fight. Anyone see that episode of cops where the officers and scrapping on the ground and some drunk guy walks up behind and tries to grab an officer's gun?

I'd love to know if there was CCTV in the area. Was he 25' away and had the phone yanked out of his hand with no warning? Or was he 5' away and told 5 times to leave?

Yes, you can film the police. Audio is dodgy, though. I've been told by the police to shut off my dashcam while they were investigating a traffic incident I was in a few years back. Ultimately the video exonerated me, but the trooper who was dealing with me at first had me shut it off during the investigation. But then immediately pointed out that his cruiser was recording and he had a remote mic. So it's ok for HIS dashcam to record but not MINE?

The local prosecutor told me that I could have left it running with no repurcussions as it was not interfering with the police's ability to do their job, unless me recording him while he's trying to interact with me, or a random member of the public wandering in to an active scene to record. "As long as you're not holding some device while the officer is dealing with you directly, or you're so far away from the action that you're not interfering, you can record all you want."

Let me rephrase:

Reasonable force is justified to prevent bodily harm during a false arrest. I guess the level of force being used against you will determine the level of force required to counter. Also' date=' if you're a police officer and you are kicking down my door, without a warrant, you're going to be shot at.. repeatedly.[/quote']

If an officer is kicking down your door without a warrant (which in some cases is reasonable and legal) and you shoot, you will either find yourself dead or in prison (most likely with multiple gunshout wounds). Also, you won't know that they have a warrant until after you are in custody, unless you are standing next to the door when the "knock and announce" happens. If they are KICKING in your door, it is being kicked in because you are suspected of doing something illegal which could result in the destruction of evidence. Also, you have to keep in mind that a judge has signed the warrant, which means that he believes that there are enough facts presented to him to make the officers actions legal.

yep, you can record any conversation you're a part of by hidden device and the other party does not need to know. Except courthouses.

Did this during my divorce with a family counselor as she was a man hating "cunt" and obviously playing for the other side. I can't even explain how ticked she was.. She demanded I give it to her on and on and on and on. I just smiled, pulled it out of my pocket and said NO, keep talking, what are you afraid of?. She went on and on about how it's against company policy. Does not matter, i didn't sign anything. She was FIRED UP and went bizerk. Sorry, off-topic, carry on

There will never be an instance where it is "reasonable and legal" to kick in my door. If they have a warrant' date=' I want to see it and I'll open for it. However, an assault on my house will result in defensive retaliation... no matter who is on the other side of that door. Over-zealous invasion of my home by trigger-happy police officers is not allowed, nor tolerated. I respect the police, I respect what they do. All I ask is they respect my home and my family.

I've already read several cases where the police invaded the wrong house, took opposition fire, were shot, and the home owner was cleared of any charges. The police have no right to invade my home without a warrant or probable cause... which they'll never have.

Not defending my home because I'm afraid of being shot isn't sufficient reason to allow such nonsense by the police. The second-to-last thing I want to do it shoot a police officer. The very last thing I want is to allow them to storm my house uninvited without justified repercussion.[/quote']

I understand what you are saying, but you are missing the point. There ARE instances where it is legal and justified. I am not saying that it will happen in your home. I see that you live in Ravenna, and I am sure that it is not as likely there (but it can happen anywhere), but we have people in Columbus that assault people in their own homes with knives, bats, guns, etc...with officers standing on the porch (maybe they were called to the residence by a neighbor for a fight inside). At that point there are exigent circumstances that allow an officer to kick in your door and take care of whatever business needs to be taken care of (in order to preserve human life or prevent serious physical harm).