2 yr old English Mastiff rescue help

redkow97

My wife and I are as active as we can be with Secondhand Mutts - That's where we adopted our beagle mutt, and we've fostered about 6 of their rescue dogs over the past year or so.

This morning they sent out a facebook message to all their volunteers and foster 'parents' with the following:

"we need a home TODAY for a 2 yr old (female) English Mastiff. The problem is, the owners surrendering her have done a terrible job of socializing her with other dogs, so we need it to be a dog (and cat) free home, which eliminates pretty much 100% of our normal go-to people."

The owners are sick of spending money on their dog (a-holes...), and are having her put down today if they can't place her in foster care.

If you're willing to take on a 170 lbs house guest, this would be a hugely rewarding "project." I would actually jump at the chance to train such a massive dog, but we already have Hank at home, plus a foster dog that my wife has (finally) admitted we'll keep if he's not adopted by Christmas...

Please email me at radakchr@yahoo.com if you or anyone you know can help out. If they need a couple of days, I could try and talk my wife into taking the Mastiff for a couple of days, and boarding our dogs at the Mutt Hutt during that time.

Knowing the breed, Mastiffs are gentle giants, but they're kind of like body-builders with downs syndrome if they're not properly trained. Like I said, I'd love to help this dog myself as a "winter project," but it's just not possible for me :(

any leads or help are appreciate. I'll post pictures if I can get some.

awesome - thanks.

It's just such a shame when owners fail their dogs... By all accounts, this dog has a great personality, she's just aggressive toward other dogs, and has bad leash manners.

the latter should be easy enough to correct, but it will take someone strong enough to deal with her, and a fenced-in yard.

I'm sure she could be trained to accept other dogs too, but that will take time and patience.

We've fostered a dozen or so Retired Racing greyhounds. We have a dobie and a Rottie. Plus two children under 4 yrs old so we are out. However, we know several groups and friends who have a good network. I'll have my wife spread the word.

If my roommate didn't have a dog I would be all overthis. I use to Foster Dobermans and my parents tended up keeping one. I hate people who don't know how to care for their pets.

yeah, the owner of the mutt hutt tested this particular pooch with one of her dobermans (she has 5), and they didn't get along so well...

The biggest immediate challenge with this mastiff is going to be her leash manners... 170+ lbs. of dog would give me a run for my money. That's the main reason I wish I could foster her :( I think it would either make me want one, or never want a large breed :p

Mastiffs are definitely strong, but they're also supposed to be pretty loyal and chilled out.

I'm basing this purely on the reading I did several years ago, but I think they were used at orphanages, almost like sheep-dogs for the kids. The quote I liked was, "the only way a mastiff is going to hurt a child is if it sits down without realizing that a child has walked up behind it."

But yeah, dogs are kind of ridiculous at times. My mutt's like 38 lbs. I wouldn't say he can pull me, but when he wants to stay and smell something, and I want to keep moving, he's like an anchor.

when we get snow, i'm making my own 2-dog sled team. video will be taken.

My old neighbors that moved got a mastiff and he got huge fast. Their kids always played with him and wrestled around. The little girl who was 7 or 8 would ride him Luke a horse and he had no problem with it. He came over to me quite a few times and was real friendly

Not so sure I agree with you entirely, but it is indeed sad that people won't commit to such a loyal species. That's what our disposable society has led us to...disposable diapers, water bottles, marriages, laws, disposable pets, etc.

What's that one quote about how you can measure a society by how they treat canines... Sad world we live in.

I have a 245 mastiff and it just depends how you train them. I have 100 pound Rott that didnt like the mastiff or would let him in the fence but after a while after she finally just let hiim in. Looking at them now you would never new that they didnt like each other

Is there an update on this? I know someone that is a huge mastiff guy, and has owned multiple in the past but I don't know where he stands now. I don't want to attempt to get the ball rolling if the dog is gone. Thanks.