Damn... wish I'd seen these before flying a couple weeks ago.

Casper

You guys are seriously going overboard on this...

I fly probably 20 times a year and honestly, flying is a privilege. If you don't want to be scanned or you feel you are being violated, there is an option... Drive or take a bus or plane.

I want people to be scanned, I want people that want to hurt others to be found. Otherwise, you guys should ask us to revert back to the days where we take people for their word and let them on board...

"Oh, Mr. got a gun in your pants - you seem like a nice guy and we don't want to violate your rights, so pass on through. Don't worry about anything..."

Plus, if you travel enough, you learn to deal with it and it goes quickly. The idiots that travel a few times a year are the ones that cause the grief. They hold up the lines because they don't know what to take off, what to wear, etc...

mmmm...not sure I agree with you Brian. Flying is not a privilege if your work requires you to travel across the country, then driving is not feasible. And switching jobs is not real easy these days.

Yes, maybe going overboard a bit. I can agree with that. But that's how things get changed or improved. There is a better way than their current solution. I don't claim to know it. But I'm not going to be a sheep or a lemming and blindly follow someone just because there is no other way.

just my opinion.

You guys are seriously going overboard on this...

I fly probably 20 times a year and honestly, flying is a privilege. If you don't want to be scanned or you feel you are being violated, there is an option... Drive or take a bus or plane.

I want people to be scanned, I want people that want to hurt others to be found. Otherwise, you guys should ask us to revert back to the days where we take people for their word and let them on board...

"Oh, Mr. got a gun in your pants - you seem like a nice guy and we don't want to violate your rights, so pass on through. Don't worry about anything..."

Plus, if you travel enough, you learn to deal with it and it goes quickly. The idiots that travel a few times a year are the ones that cause the grief. They hold up the lines because they don't know what to take off, what to wear, etc...

Except the fact that all these screening don't catch shit. People will find another way around it and then after the dact there will be a new screening that you have to go through. Outage off your shoes because the shoe bomber but the only reason his plan didst work is because he sucked at making explosives, not because of some screening process.

mmmm...not sure I agree with you Brian. Flying is not a privilege if your work requires you to travel across the country, then driving is not feasible. And switching jobs is not real easy these days.

Yes, maybe going overboard a bit. I can agree with that. But that's how things get changed or improved. There is a better way than their current solution. I don't claim to know it. But I'm not going to be a sheep or a lemming and blindly follow someone just because there is no other way.

just my opinion.

I travel by plane for work. You don't have to fly. If there is a meeting in a week in CA, you can start driving 36 hours before the meeting. It isn't anything other than a privilege. It's like driving. You can argue that needing a car for work is there, but it isn't true. If you need to get somewhere, you can do other modes and succeed...

We as a society are lazy and take the quickest way possible. That's fine. It's what I choose to do.

As for the way they are doing things - why is there another option? If it exists, what is it and how much does it cost and what is the success rate vs. current?

I think the more we can know about who gets on a plane and what they can possibly carry on that can cause harm, the better. Again, if you think it goes too far, Greyhound has specials going on...

Except the fact that all these screening don't catch shit. People will find another way around it and then after the dact there will be a new screening that you have to go through. Outage off your shoes because the shoe bomber but the only reason his plan didst work is because he sucked at making explosives, not because of some screening process.

The shoe bomber didn't pass through one of these...

Second, that excuse that it doesn't stop anything is shit. Sure, there are ways around everything. Do you think that we need to stick solely to X-Raying bags and stuff? There are so many ways around that now, it is why these are in use.

The idea is that sure, you can get around anything, but the thing here is that it will slow people down and possibly have a better success rate in catching people trying to do bad things. If people want to blow up a plane, they probably are going to get it done or get close. But, if there are no hurdles along the way, what is there to possible trip them up and catch them?

Under your mentality, we'd still be boarding planes from the runway (still do on some flights) right from the unloading zone like we did in the early days. Why advance any technology if all it will do is nothing because it won't catch anything.

In the end, you guys complaining - how much do you fly for work? Not talking about for vacation... If you do fly as often or more as what I do (20 plus round trip flights), it isn't an issue. It doesn't slow anything down enough to be a bother. When I am in line, the people bitching are those running late or the ones that don't fly often at all and feel like they are being bothered to be checked...

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

:stirpot:

• Upvote 1

those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

benjamin franklin
historical review of pennsylvania, 1759

us author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

+1000

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Perfect. Let's revert back to when Benny was around and run under the laws and guides that were back then. I know I won't be flying anymore...

Good luck with that.

• Downvote 1

I travel by plane for work. You don't have to fly. If there is a meeting in a week in CA, you can start driving 36 hours before the meeting. It isn't anything other than a privilege. It's like driving. You can argue that needing a car for work is there, but it isn't true. If you need to get somewhere, you can do other modes and succeed...

We as a society are lazy and take the quickest way possible. That's fine. It's what I choose to do.

As for the way they are doing things - why is there another option? If it exists, what is it and how much does it cost and what is the success rate vs. current?

I think the more we can know about who gets on a plane and what they can possibly carry on that can cause harm, the better. Again, if you think it goes too far, Greyhound has specials going on...

My previous job was with a global logisitics firm and I traveled more than 30+ times a year. Many times I'd be in Atlanta one week and then California the following monday. I've also had to fly to Europe and Brazil. Driving or "Greyhound specials" are just not feasible. My job required me to fly.

Technological advancements and Global Companies require companies to be more productive. So lazy may be misconstrued to being efficient or more productive.

Besides the debate I posed is not that we should be allowed to fly unrestricted, but that we shouldn't just accept status quo. Being vocal about things such as this is the way society improves.

The idea is that sure, you can get around anything, but the thing here is that it will slow people down and possibly have a better success rate in catching people trying to do bad things. If people want to blow up a plane, they probably are going to get it done or get close. But, if there are no hurdles along the way, what is there to possible trip them up and catch them?..

If people were allowed to carry on planes that may be more of a deterrent for would be hijackers and bombers. If somone wants to do something they will find a way to do it

If people were allowed to carry on planes that may be more of a deterrent for would be hijackers and bombers. If somone wants to do something they will find a way to do it

Shoot em up at 30,000 in a pressurized cabin! A terrorist won't have to do anything other than stand up and yell "Allah Akbar" and a gaggle of gap toothed hilljacks with .44's will bring down the plane on their own. Sweet.

• Upvote 1

My previous job was with a global logisitics firm and I traveled more than 30+ times a year. Many times I'd be in Atlanta one week and then California the following monday. I've also had to fly to Europe and Brazil. Driving or "Greyhound specials" are just not feasible. My job required me to fly.

Technological advancements and Global Companies require companies to be more productive. So lazy may be misconstrued to being efficient or more productive.

Besides the debate I posed is not that we should be allowed to fly unrestricted, but that we shouldn't just accept status quo. Being vocal about things such as this is the way society improves.

Again, you could have accepted a lesser job and not traveled as often. If it were that big of a deal. You can still drive from Friday after work and get to CA by Monday morning. We've done it racing...

I understand the status quo idea, but this is bitching. You work in a high level atmosphere so, I am sure you have always heard this - come to the table with a solution to an issue. Otherwise, you are just complaining. You need solutions - not excuses.

I think that there may be better technology or something that people may not bitch about, but I am guessing that any change will result in the same thing... People feel they are violated for having to be given the wand after setting the detector off... Seriously?? Others bitch about having to take off their shoes and belts... It never ends, man... I stand in a line and cannot stand the casual traveler complaining. I stand there saying in my head that I wish we didn't have to deal with casual travelers so I can get through the line faster than Mrs. Bitch and Complain as she is trying to untie her shoes only until she is told to remove them and then forgetting to remove her laptop...

Dude, let me know when you are flying so I can stay home. Yeah, allowing and trusting the average everday civilian to carry a gun on a plane and hoping they don't go Chuck Norris on a full flight... Riiiiiight.

"You wanna stop airline hijackings? I tell ya how you stop airline hijackings. You give every damn passenger on the plane a gun. How many hijackings you gonna see then?"

Archie Bunker, circa 1975

Shoot em up at 30,000 in a pressurized cabin! A terrorist won't have to do anything other than stand up and yell "Allah Akbar" and a gaggle of gap toothed hilljacks with .44's will bring down the plane on their own. Sweet.

Was just making a point that there are other ways to deter someone other than screening everyone. I just used a dramatic example

its a funny shirt. its a good idea as well. Not $50 good but who cares. Don't know why you're making such a big deal out of nothing, then again I suppose that is the modern American way

Not making a big deal can be looked at both ways... I'm just saying these guys are making a big deal over something that is really for our own safety.