Promoted with less pay

tyler524

I thought the 'AT THAT COMPANY' was implied....

This is why most people in "our generation" aren't lifers at any one company anymore - because you keep running into people that won't pay you what you're worth.

You're worth whatever it takes to get you or keep you. Create value and the money will follow.

I'd rather keep the value and sell it to the highest bidder.

Eh..... I work for one of the largest companies in the country. I'm not the richest person in the world, and feel that I could make more if I left the company, but the company I work for as invested a lot of money in me, and is a very fair company to work for.. We probably have more lifers at my company than any I've ever seen.. Sure I could sell them out and go to a competitor for more money and what not, but there is WAY more to it than that. I've seen a few people in my short 3 year career leave and then come crawling back when they realize the grass isn't greener. Our company pays fair, but more importantly they care about employees, their fmailies, and future. If I want to take all vacation days in the same month..I can.. If I want to take vacation during our national meeting.. I Can.. They don't expect me to work on vacation, weekends, etc. There is a lot more to life than making a quick buck.. I plan to stay at this company for a very long time.. Could I make more money elsewhere? HECK YA.. Would my quality of life be hurt? maybe... Its a risk I don't want to take...

I talked to the boss today. I asked him what my new workload would look like and then after he told me, I said that I was wondering because anything more than 48 hours and I would be losing money. He was confused and asked how much my offer from HR was and told me that they told him I would be getting a 3-4k increase. He started punching the numbers and agreed with me that the offer is way too low. He told me that I will be working 50-60 hour weeks but to decline the offer and come back with at least 50-55 hours a week of what I make now. I figure I am going to roll the 4k increase in and base it on 52 hour weeks and talk to HR tomorrow. He was going to give the VP a call and a few other people as a heads up to let them know what was going on. He wasn't even sure what exactly I was making now until we were talking today. I told him that I have absolutely no problem taking on the extra responsibilities but I want compensated for it and I don't want to cheat myself. He said he didn't blame me at all and wouldn't take that offer either.

It sounds like someone eithe rhas your back, or is blowing smoke. I've had similar convo's at my last job, and it was all :bs: and ended up being empty promises that I was dumb enough to fall for. The upside, I learned a LOT there, the downside, I don't use any of what I learned anymore, and it has been so long ago that the skills are pretty well outdated, or need refreshed to do me any good for employment.

...He was confused and asked how much my offer from HR was and told me that they told him I would be getting a 3-4k increase....

Yeeeea, that's the red flag. "Ohh, it's a simple misunderstanding, heh heh" :rolleyes:.

Good luck man, but I'm with jporter :bs: -- it wasn't a mistake. It was an "oh sh*t, he's onto our game and we need a canned CYA excuse".

Trust no one.

I think he has my back. He has gone to bat for me and others before. I've had quite a few beers with him and some I'd the other guys that I work with. I am on my way to the other plant to take care of some and talk to HR while I'm there. Another guy that is getting the same promotion for another product line is getting the same deal. After I pointed my issue out to my boss he told me to send him in and he told him to decline also.

I hope it all works out for the good for you! Just remember, the guy that fires you might also have been out drinking with you! It's not personal, and he may be cool with you, but he does answer to someone too, in the corporate environment. Where I work, I answer to the owners.

I talked to the boss today.

You did good. What your boss describes happens often in big companies, when my son went to work for a big company HR screwed up the job offer really bad. He called his contact and said WTF this isn't what we talked about. HR called back and fixed it. So don't condemn your boss until he and HR get back to you.

I hope it all works out for the good for you! Just remember, the guy that fires you might also have been out drinking with you! It's not personal, and he may be cool with you, but he does answer to someone too, in the corporate environment. Where I work, I answer to the owners.

I've come to the realization that Corporate America is a lot like the old Italian mob; the guys that whack you come with smiles, they're the guys you've had a beer with and known your entire time there. Good to have a friendly relationship with your manager/management, but you always have to know what's going on.

That being said good on you for blowing the lid off it, Tyler. Either your boss is a stand-up guy and it was someone else who tried to lowball you, or he was in on it and you just showed him you aren't taking his shit and you want what's fair. I don't know what's a fair salary for what you do, but if that number is more than the salary +4k that he told you he's going to offer, now's an excellent time to say "look, because of the previous offer I've done some research, and X is the dollar amount I've come up with. (If x is a leap from salary+4k) Can we meet in the middle?" You've got a perfect opportunity to play (without busting balls too much!), I'd take it and see what you get.

It says a lot about the company you work for when they want you to take more responsibility for less pay. What it says is that they are greedy bastards (& what company isn't.) This is the price we pay for living in a "free" society. Good luck.

GET IT IN WRITING. Remember the salaried knife cuts both ways. Yeah there will be times when you're technically making less per hour than if you were an hourly employee, but when hours get cut back or you "need" to cut out early or come in late your pay stays the same.

Either way, get it in writing.

I've come to the realization that Corporate America is a lot like the old Italian mob; the guys that whack you come with smiles, they're the guys you've had a beer with and known your entire time there. Good to have a friendly relationship with your manager/management, but you always have to know what's going on.

That being said good on you for blowing the lid off it, Tyler. Either your boss is a stand-up guy and it was someone else who tried to lowball you, or he was in on it and you just showed him you aren't taking his shit and you want what's fair. I don't know what's a fair salary for what you do, but if that number is more than the salary +4k that he told you he's going to offer, now's an excellent time to say "look, because of the previous offer I've done some research, and X is the dollar amount I've come up with. (If x is a leap from salary+4k) Can we meet in the middle?" You've got a perfect opportunity to play (without busting balls too much!), I'd take it and see what you get.

Yeah, just don't assume that it's either way! He works for the company, and the bottom line is to get the job done the best, for the least investment possible. I really hope he's on your side, since this sounds like a good opportunity for you to get some more ink on your resume.

It says a lot about the company you work for when they want you to take more responsibility for less pay. What it says is that they are greedy bastards (& what company isn't.) This is the price we pay for living in a "free" society. Good luck.

obvious troll is obvious

well, first of all at least he didn't say " you greedy bastard. get the fuck out!"

He could be blowing smoke or he could be sayign the truth. I've seen both happen to me personally. As mentioned, don't accept until you have the agreed upon salary in writing. The compensation also includes vacation, benefits, etc.

In all companies, it's easier to get the money when hired in rather than getting a large increase internally.

Hope it all works out.

Tyler;

I wish you the best. I want to share my recent work experience with you.

Back in October, I was "offered" a "promotion" as well. The Corporation wanted to increase my workload by approximately 30%. I was already a salaried employee, and working on average 50-60 hours weekly. In the busy season, I was working 80-90 hours a week... that season lasted 3 months for us. I asked if there would be a pay increase, or ANY compensation for the "promotion". There was none. In fact, it was then made very clear to me that declining this "promotion" would probably mean being laid off. Frankly, I was already at the end of my rope there, so I politely declined their "offer" and was subsequently laid off.

The very next day, my job responsibilities were dumped on another manager... who immediately resigned. The duties were again reassigned to a new manager, and they also quit. Two weeks later, the Corporation laid off 120 managers (ALL of them with my specialty), and just a few weeks ago, they laid off another 50+ managers again.

What is my point, exactly?? Well, for one, I would not accept additional work for no additional pay, regardless of the possible outcome. That may actually be illegal in some places (research this!!) I know there are plenty of folks who would call that stupid, hey, whatever. Never sell yourself youself short. My next point is, you NEVER know what will happen in a corporation, company or business. Here today, gone tomorrow. Your best course of action is to invest heavily in your retirement (401(k) or IRA, whatever) and savings, to be ready for these moments. Thank God we have a good savings to carry us through this.

I have been laid off 3 times now in 10 years. It sucks. This is the first time, however, where it was even slightly attributable to my actions. The other 2 times were companies that went under from their own shitty business practices. Gone are the old days, when you worked for a company 30-40 years, retired with your gold watch & stock options, and lived happily ever after. Corporations now are all the same; they trim costs anywhere they can; overwork/underpay employees whenever possible; cut costs/benefits/perks everywhere. People are numbers, to be manipulated however necessary to improve the bottom line & pay that quarterly dividend.

My advice is to look out for YOU. If they want more work from you, make them pay you for it. My secondary advice is to save, plan for retirement, and ALWAYS have a "rainy day fund" ready.

/soapbox

• Upvote 1

Tyler;

I wish you the best. I want to share my recent work experience with you.

Back in October, I was "offered" a "promotion" as well. The Corporation wanted to increase my workload by approximately 30%. I was already a salaried employee, and working on average 50-60 hours weekly. In the busy season, I was working 80-90 hours a week... that season lasted 3 months for us. I asked if there would be a pay increase, or ANY compensation for the "promotion". There was none. In fact, it was then made very clear to me that declining this "promotion" would probably mean being laid off. Frankly, I was already at the end of my rope there, so I politely declined their "offer" and was subsequently laid off.

The very next day, my job responsibilities were dumped on another manager... who immediately resigned. The duties were again reassigned to a new manager, and they also quit. Two weeks later, the Corporation laid off 120 managers (ALL of them with my specialty), and just a few weeks ago, they laid off another 50+ managers again.

What is my point, exactly?? Well, for one, I would not accept additional work for no additional pay, regardless of the possible outcome. That may actually be illegal in some places (research this!!) I know there are plenty of folks who would call that stupid, hey, whatever. Never sell yourself youself short. My next point is, you NEVER know what will happen in a corporation, company or business. Here today, gone tomorrow. Your best course of action is to invest heavily in your retirement (401(k) or IRA, whatever) and savings, to be ready for these moments. Thank God we have a good savings to carry us through this.

I have been laid off 3 times now in 10 years. It sucks. This is the first time, however, where it was even slightly attributable to my actions. The other 2 times were companies that went under from their own shitty business practices. Gone are the old days, when you worked for a company 30-40 years, retired with your gold watch & stock options, and lived happily ever after. Corporations now are all the same; they trim costs anywhere they can; overwork/underpay employees whenever possible; cut costs/benefits/perks everywhere. People are numbers, to be manipulated however necessary to improve the bottom line & pay that quarterly dividend.

My advice is to look out for YOU. If they want more work from you, make them pay you for it. My secondary advice is to save, plan for retirement, and ALWAYS have a "rainy day fund" ready.

/soapbox

best advice, the old lady and I live way below our means and put a bunch of money into our retirement plans

best advice, the old lady and I live way below our means and put a bunch of money into our retirement plans

What happens if you die tomorrow???... Think of all that fun money you could've spent instead of living for a tomorrow that never came...

That's usually the rebuttal I get. Strike a responsible, affordable, comfortable, balance.