Anyone able to help me with my shitty laptop?

Goldie

When I try to connect to the internets I get a page load error. When I try to diagnose, eventually windows says "cannot communicate with DNS server (64.233.222.2).

I've done some research on my phone and can't find any real help. Can anyone give me some assistance? Otherwise, I have read that wiping the system can fix the problem, but I don't want to do that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Drew

When I try to connect to the internets I get a page load error. When I try to diagnose, eventually windows says "cannot communicate with DNS server (64.233.222.2).

I've done some research on my phone and can't find any real help. Can anyone give me some assistance? Otherwise, I have read that wiping the system can fix the problem, but I don't want to do that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Drew

Do you have other computers, or devices that are still working on the same connection? It's very doubtful that you would have to go to the extent of wiping the system to fix a simple network problem, but I have had to go that far a time or 2.

Assuming that DNS server 64.233.222.2 is what you're supposed to be using, it's down (or at least not responding to pings) right now.

So, if that's the correct server, call your Internet provider - the problem's on their end.

that's a wideOpenWest address. So I guess start looking at two places.

edit: nevermind... I noticed that address dead also. Something must be up with your provider being down.

I don't think it's your computer.

1. hardware problem with network device.

Does the wireless work? does the wired network connection work?

are there any errors shown in hardware devices of the winXP?

2. Has virus scans been done? Was anything found?

There is one proxy virus that stops all browsing, but lets https go through.

Does any address work with https instead of http?

3. Try booting up with F8 start, and boot safemode with networking.

Does that work to get to the internet?

My guess is a virus attack. Which means downloading the antivirus programs on another computer, to a thumb drive or CD. Then installing them on the computer and scanning both in safe mode and regular, to try and fix it.

Recommend:

MalWareBytes

SuperAntiSpyware

The internet is intermittently working. Now I am posting from the laptop itself, but here any second the internet will stop working.

I read something about changing the DNS address, but it didn't work. My Norton came up with nothing so I'm not totally sure what the deal is.

I wouldn't try much more than rebooting the cable modem.

Or perhaps setting a DNS server manually.

I'm guessing the WOW DNS server isn't playing well with others right at the moment.

A good time to get out that book you always wanted to read.

You should be obtaining a DNS server address automatically. If you are familiar with how to check that out, you can see if something (i.e. malware or spyware) canged the setting. But I would start there. If you need help finding your DNS setting, shoot me a PM.

If it's just their DNS servers, use google's. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

What version of winders?

This. Fuck WOW DNS servers. They're down all the time. Just Google it. They've been going down more than blondes on prom night. Use Google's free DNS servers.

This. Fuck WOW DNS servers. They're down all the time. Just Google it. They've been going down more than blondes on prom night. Use Google's free DNS servers.

I set them in my router. I still had to change them in my laptop for work, because the DNS servers through their IP are SLOW!!!