157mph crash - Tempe Arizona

ReconRat

A 19yo crashed at approximately 157mph and lived. Some say intoxicated, but he ran off the road in a curve, for 348 feet before impacting first a concrete light pole, and then launching into another pole, and then flying 104 feet to a stop. The front wheel and engine parted at the first impact. The patrolman that clocked him, never even got a chance to turn around and it was over and done. Not much left of the bike. They say it was a 2004 Yamaha YFR.

KOLD News 13

13722715_BG2.jpg

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=13722715

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

Deputies say Calazo will face Aggravated DUI charges, Reckless Driving and Criminal Speed. In addition, we're told his AZ Driver's License is currently revoked.

he has got some time in the pokey waiting for him as soon as the hospital releases him.

arizona doenst just send you to prison, they send you to work camps in the desert where you sleep outside in tents every night.

Yeah he's is critical condition and if he lives they're slapping him with a whole list of charges; Criminal Speeding, operating under the influence, fleeing, reckless op, etc. This event was quite the buzz around school yesterday. Apparently he was in a 45mph hour zone, dumb ass. Thank god he wasn't an MMI student or that would just be another tally against us.

will an r6 do 157?

**edit, just saw the top speed is listed at 160mph for an r6...i thought they were done around 140, guess not lol

an '04 would probably have a prayer of topping out at 157 brand new, but at 6 years old, I'd be surprised.

Maybe with some of the standard mods (exhaust and tune).

It's possible, but that's at the absolute top of the range for 600's without major work.

They'll indicate in the 160's for sure, but the odds of them actually reaching that speed are slim.

I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being an R1.

an '04 would probably have a prayer of topping out at 157 brand new, but at 6 years old, I'd be surprised.

Maybe with some of the standard mods (exhaust and tune).

It's possible, but that's at the absolute top of the range for 600's without major work.

They'll indicate in the 160's for sure, but the odds of them actually reaching that speed are slim.

I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being an R1.

general consensus on other forums is that it is actually an R1

Yeah he's is critical condition and if he lives they're slapping him with a whole list of charges; Criminal Speeding, operating under the influence, fleeing, reckless op, etc. This event was quite the buzz around school yesterday. Apparently he was in a 45mph hour zone, dumb ass. Thank god he wasn't an MMI student or that would just be another tally against us.

And no operator's license. It had already been revoked. And no insurance.

One of the news comments from somebody who might have a clue about crash scene reconstruction, said he probably got it slowed down in the 348 feet off the road to about 87mph. So he hit the first concrete pole around 90mph. When it flipped and hit the second pole, it disintegrated into many little pieces. He apparently missed both poles, and got tossed 104 feet. The hospital has downgraded him to an extreme critical condition.

People are saying this was not a major corner in the road, it was a gentle curve and he didn't negotiate it. The centrifugal forces of wheels and engine in motion at those high speeds, are quite different. That makes it harder to turn in. (Especially if not sober. Quick reactions are required.) I'll say he didn't have experience.

His facebook page is out there if you search for it.

From his FB "

Noe Colazo On our way to get me some h.i.ds highs :D my bike is gonna look hard now"

Well, He was partial right..His status said his bike is "now hard"..........I say, hard to ride..:D

Edited by eggs