157mph crash - Tempe Arizona

ReconRat

Maybe he did it wrong, and they went pffft and shut off at 157mph...

Interestingly lots of people have problems with fuses blowing after installing HIDs.

http://www.kawiforums.com/2005-2006-zx-6r/143881-hids-cause-headlight-fuse-blow.html

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-282089.html

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91916

Edited by alienpi

I had my '07 ZX-6R up to 152. It was still climbing, but there was a corner coming up so I had to slow down. That scared the crap outta me. Needless to say, I WILL NOT be doin' that again. He may or may not have had some mods, but I'm sure he'd be able to make it up to 157.

If he walks out of the hospital under his own power I really hope he makes some major changes within himself when and if he ever gets on a bike again.

I had my '07 ZX-6R up to 152. It was still climbing, but there was a corner coming up so I had to slow down. That scared the crap outta me. Needless to say, I WILL NOT be doin' that again. He may or may not have had some mods, but I'm sure he'd be able to make it up to 157.

If he walks out of the hospital under his own power I really hope he makes some major changes within himself when and if he ever gets on a bike again.

no doubt he got to that speed, he got clocked by laser...we were debating size of bike, and its been said on other forums that it was an R1 (saw this on an R1 forum, and a kawi forum), so im sure it got to that speed fairly easy

Edited by Steve Butters

For him to be doing an actual clocked (not indicated) 157 I'd say it's a safe bet it was a liter bike.

Sometimes I'm a little amazed that sport bike's are even street legal considering how fast they are. Not that I'm against it, just amazed.

I had my '07 ZX-6R up to 152.

No, you didn't. If it indicated 152, you were probably doing more like 145.

I believe it is possible for a modern 600cc bike to hit 157mph in stock form, but it requires absolutely ideal conditions, and completely maxing out the bike.

if the bike were indicating 165, I'd believe you hit 152.

Edited by redkow97

doesnt matter if they can or cant do it....the guys on an R1 site say the bike is an R1, they identified it immediately, and one of the guys lives down the road from this kid and has seen him out riding it around on many occasions....what makes yall so sure its an r6?

No, you didn't. If it indicated 152, you were probably doing more like 145.

I believe it is possible for a modern 600cc bike to hit 157mph in stock form, but it requires absolutely ideal conditions, and completely maxing out the bike.

if the bike were indicating 165, I'd believe you hit 152.

I'm no where near as smart as you when it comes to bikes. I'm only in my second year of riding. I'll take your word on it, but I have a legit question: Why would the speedometer show faster than the true speed? The only mod on my bike was a Two Brothers exhaust.

The only measure of road speed on a motorcycle is revolutions of the front (old school) or rear tire, or revolutions of the engine/transmission related to the driven tire. Converted to mph. So any change to the responsible tire diameter will alter the ability to correctly display the road speed.

So if a rear tire wears out, it's diameter decreases, and it will be going slower per an indicated speed. The opposite, putting a fresh tire on, results in faster road speeds per an indicated speed. And different tire manufacturer's have different overall diameters. As well as changing a profile aspect of a tire will too. It's even possible to change a diameter by over or under inflating a tire. It's never perfect, and often "off" in the first place.

GPS in many cases, is more accurate.

Generally Manufacturers make their speedos err to the high side for liability reasons and tire/wheel variances and due to some countries laws.

My VW for instance reads about 5% high because VW could suffer big fines from the german government if their speedos read low.

Think about it. If your speedo says you are doing 65 and you were actually doing 70 and you proved that in court you'd be able to pin your speeding ticket on the manufacturer. Making the speedo err high is a safe bet for everyone.

But yes, GPS, and a cop's radar laser gun are generally more accurate than your speedo. A cops speedo however is supposed to be calibrated so they are able to accurately pace people.

Bottome line 157mph on a public road is pretty damn fast.