Iphone now on Verizon

Bad324

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I jailbreak, you are saying that there is an app that allows free wi-fi hot spot from my ATT phone?

Or, are you referring to tethering? The way I understand it, the Verizon phone will be a mobile Wi-Fi device, also like what they currently are using. Maybe I read that wrong, but the idea of tethering isn't attractive to me as I can get better results with Wi-Fi vs. Edge or even low signal 3G which is common is a lot of places still.

I worry about the 4G thing also. I mean, ATT is still tough to find a 3G spot. For example, around here, Verizon is 3G, but ATT is still on Edge. What advantage is it for me to stick with ATT even if they get the 4G up and running when they don't have good 3G coverage??

I'm just not quite following what you're saying here. It sounds like you're talking about a couple different things that use some similar terminology. :dunno:

From what I understand, and have experienced, Wifi tethering and and mobile hotspot (up to a certain number of devices connect to your phone for internet access) are the same thing. Maybe someone can clarify this for us.

im going to wait for the droid bionic on LTE .... gonna pwn you iphags

http://www.theiloop.com/battle-royal-iphone-4-vs-motorola-droid-bionic-vs-motorola-atrix-4g-vs-nexus-s/

Where's the EVO? Sprint has had 4g out for quite a while in select markets, and is expanding into the rest pretty quickly.

read up on new every 2...its going away, you can use it if you have it, but you cant reenroll after the 16th for the next year

not eligible till march, im calling now to see if they will upgrade me early lol

Sprint Premier. I get a full upgrade discount every year. I wish I had waited for the EVO to come out last year when I got my Hero. Now I'm not sure what I want to do, get the EVO or EVO shift, or wait until the next best thing, which should be coming fairly soon.

so the point I completely overlooked is how much my monthly bill is going to change by switching over to an Android or Iphone.

I don't use the internet much unless i need it and dont have access to a computer for whatever reason. I don't use a lot of talk time, 400 mins a month is plenty and unlimited text messaging is needed

vzw-iphone-600-rme.jpg

We just got a look at the Verizon version of the iPhone 4. Guess what? It's just like an iPhone 4! There's no custom pre-loaded Verizon software (like VCAST or some such bloatware), just that mobile hotspot tweak in the settings menu. There's also no Verizon branding on the phone, though that's hardly a surprise given Apple's hatred of all logos that aren't its own. The only real physical difference we can find are those tweaked CDMA-compatible antennas running around the edge -- four in all, placed symmetrically and bumping down the volume / mute buttons. Interestingly, the phone is running iOS version 4.2.5, so perhaps that mobile hotspot functionality will make its way over to other iPhones when they sync up on iOS updates.

VIA: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/verizon-iphone-first-hands-on/

no matter if you wait for the next best thing... the next best thing after that is only a few months away. if you wait, you'll get one. lol

Oh, I know that, but the EVO is getting pretty old now, in terms of the way they're bringing out new phones, and the EVO shift is just an EVO with a slider keyboard, and a couple minor (to me) things taken away that specs out a bit lesser, but actually performs a bit better, from what I've been reading. Oh, and I'm waiting to see if the "developer" community is going to do much of anything with it, as there are some custom things I like to do with my Hero, that it needs to be rooted for.

I am a new Droid X user, and the more I use it the better it seems.

I have a friend that switched from the I Phone 4 to the Droid X, and he claims he likes the Droid better, but it was all about the I Phone 4 when he was using it too...

so the point I completely overlooked is how much my monthly bill is going to change by switching over to an Android or Iphone.

I don't use the internet much unless i need it and dont have access to a computer for whatever reason. I don't use a lot of talk time, 400 mins a month is plenty and unlimited text messaging is needed

Definately something to consider! When I upgraded to the Instinct a couple years ago, I had to go to a Sprint "everything" plan, which is nice, because I get unlimited text, "unlimited" data, and 1500 minutes for 3 lines. With the free any mobile, and night/weekend minutes we hardly use 500 minutes a month. The same stuff on Verizon worked out to be more expensive the last time I ran the numbers, they just separate it out by feature and by line, where with sprint, all the lines on the plan get the same.

I am a new Droid X user, and the more I use it the better it seems.

I have a friend that switched from the I Phone 4 to the Droid X, and he claims he likes the Droid better, but it was all about the I Phone 4 when he was using it too...

Funny, a Mac fanboy friend of mine switched to the iphone from the Hero (Android) all because of a software glitch that came from an update, that was taken care of right after he switched. I have the same glitch still with my phone, since I haven't found a more up to date custom rom that I like, and it's not that big of a deal.

yea the verizon monthly plans are always overpriced for what you get compared to other companies but I love the coverage and somehow they let you have some pull as a long time customer

yep...thats why i jumped on this now...if you get them locked into a plan, they wont change it on you...just like i had an env touch without a data plan, before their data plans were mandatory...and when it became mandatory i still didnt need one...thats why i got in on this unlimited data plan...i also have unlimited txting which they go back and forth on...sometimes they have it, sometimes they dont

yea the verizon monthly plans are always overpriced for what you get compared to other companies but I love the coverage and somehow they let you have some pull as a long time customer

Yeah, if their network has better coverage where you need it, that is much more important! Sprint has been fine for most everywhere I've needed to use my phone, and it's fine everywhere I normally go, at least when there's any cell service available. My dad's place, NOTHING works more than just a random few seconds at a time.

yep...thats why i jumped on this now...if you get them locked into a plan, they wont change it on you...just like i had an env touch without a data plan, before their data plans were mandatory...and when it became mandatory i still didnt need one...thats why i got in on this unlimited data plan...i also have unlimited txting which they go back and forth on...sometimes they have it, sometimes they dont

I have the plan from when I first started with Sprint for a few years after they quit offering that plan. They tried several times to get my to change, and I only did it when I needed a better plan.

Yeah, if their network has better coverage where you need it, that is much more important! Sprint has been fine for most everywhere I've needed to use my phone, and it's fine everywhere I normally go, at least when there's any cell service available. My dad's place, NOTHING works more than just a random few seconds at a time.

ive found that generally, verizon has the best coverage everywhere...until you start getting out into the middle of nowhere, and then it seems like sprint is the best

if i was in a horror movie, lost in bumfucked WV running from some mountain hicks with banjos...i think ide want a sprint phone...otherwise, ill stick with verizon :D

i'm at $75/month right now. How much worse would it get if I goto an Iphone or Droid?

i'm at $75/month right now. How much worse would it get if I goto an Iphone or Droid?

the 3g data packages are $15 a month for a little data, and $30 a month for unlimited data.... thats on top of what you already pay for txting and stuff... so if you currently dont have a smart phone or a phone with a data plan, your bill is going to go up $30...plus like $8 if you get insurance (assuming you dont have it on your current one)

I still say if the phone will not do what you want it to do then what good is it. Does not matter if it is a droid or a Iphone. I still use a Samsung BlackJackII and it does everything I need it to do. Takes pictures, has a PDA, has a few games loaded on it, sends text messages, can access my email and I believe there is a phone on it somewhere? The biggie for me is it talks to my computer... Sitting right here next to me plugged in while I am typing. Downloads and updates both the calenders on the phone and vice versa on the computer. Downloads the pics for me for work as soon as I plug it in. Works great... Wish I could still get parts for it. Been dropped about 50 freakin times and chipped and cracked everything but the main case and screen :D

I will have to upgrade sooner or later but until then I will stick with this.

ok thats not terrible. I have a phone with an unlimited data plan as well as insurance so I guess it won't go up terribly much

if you already have an unlimited data plan and insurance, i dont think your bill will go up at all... the 3g phones use the same data plans

the one thats more is verizons new 4g network...its $50 for 5gigs of data and $80 for 10gigs...no unlimited option...no 4g phones out yet though, but theyre coming

thats just more money than ide be willing to spend for data charges

If I jailbreak, you are saying that there is an app that allows free wi-fi hot spot from my ATT phone?

Or, are you referring to tethering? The way I understand it, the Verizon phone will be a mobile Wi-Fi device, also like what they currently are using. Maybe I read that wrong, but the idea of tethering isn't attractive to me as I can get better results with Wi-Fi vs. Edge or even low signal 3G which is common is a lot of places still.

I worry about the 4G thing also. I mean, ATT is still tough to find a 3G spot. For example, around here, Verizon is 3G, but ATT is still on Edge. What advantage is it for me to stick with ATT even if they get the 4G up and running when they don't have good 3G coverage??

MyWi. Google it.

if you already have an unlimited data plan and insurance, i dont think your bill will go up at all... the 3g phones use the same data plans

the one thats more is verizons new 4g network...its $50 for 5gigs of data and $80 for 10gigs...no unlimited option...no 4g phones out yet though, but theyre coming

thats just more money than ide be willing to spend for data charges

Sprint is just $10 more a month for 4g. Pricing is what keeps me with them.

$129 for everything famliy, first 2 lines, $20 a month each additional. All data, text and 1500 minutes included. 4g is $10 a month more for each line that has a 4g phone on it (even if it's not available in your area/you don't use it.) We get 20% or so discount from my wife's work.