Interesting read on the Chinese 5G Fighter - J-XX/J-20

ohdaho

Here's a video and article in Wired Danger Room about it:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/01/dont-panic-chinas-new-stealth-jet-takes-to-the-air/

Looks too large and too heavy to me. It's a prototype. It reminds me a bit of the big YF-23 prototype. We'll see what comes next. I've read that the stealth wasn't carried over to the rear aspect. Meaning it's visible from behind, but not so much from the front. And yes, the major components of the F-22 are probably missing. Vectoring, advanced avionics and comms, etc. Still, it's new and much better than previous designs.

While we're waiting, check out the mach 6 US think tank design that's alive again:

Darpa BlackSwift

htv-3-image2.jpg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2011/01/htv-3-image2.jpg

Btw, now a days a "stealth" requires low observables in microwave, visible, infrared, ultraviolet, millimeter wave, acoustic, and other stuff... Not so easy to do for anyone.

Edited by ReconRat
add link

And yes, the major components of the F-22 are probably missing. Vectoring, advanced avionics and comms, etc. Still, it's new and much better than previous designs.

Yea the article mentioned that the rear stabilizers were probably just used to push initial flight test up.

The avionics/comm on the F22 arent that advanced. The F35 has it beat by light years.

This J-20 isnt exactly an F22 copy like someone mentioned, its potentially hands down a better aircraft. We'll have to see.

Rule #482 of War Strategy and espionage:

Before using advanced weaponry, have countermeasures developed for it.

Ie. If you build a better mouse, you better have a better trap too.

This Chinese plane isn't really stealth. The cake is a lie.

Some in the industry would say stealth is a dying requirement anyway. Advances in ECM and ECCM have limited the days of stealth. The Chinese will know if our jets are coming...they just need a jet capable of intercepting the 22.

why, exactly, are we to believe the assertions of some web site about the superiority of this aircraft over the F22 and/or F35 JSF?

I'm not saying it is, or it isn't, but the explanations I read were based on visual observations, and a whole lot of speculation and assumptions...

Yes, part of my skepticism is rooted in my American bias and a long-fostered disbelief that anyone could possibly out do America; but even without that bias, I didn't read any compelling PROOF of anything...

why, exactly, are we to believe the assertions of some web site about the superiority of this aircraft over the F22 and/or F35 JSF?

I'm not saying it is, or it isn't, but the explanations I read were based on visual observations, and a whole lot of speculation and assumptions...

Yes, part of my skepticism is rooted in my American bias and a long-fostered disbelief that anyone could possibly out do America; but even without that bias, I didn't read any compelling PROOF of anything...

Fair observation. But thats how people (organizations) reverse engineer a lot of things...its esp easy with aircraft.

Aerospace engineering isnt as difficult as most people make it out to be (Rocket science isnt THAT hard). By looking at the physical characteristics of an aircraft, engineers can tell quite easily what its capable of.

All the physical characteristics of an aircraft can differentiate its flight envelope quite easily.

• 3 weeks later...
Some in the industry would say stealth is a dying requirement anyway. Advances in ECM and ECCM have limited the days of stealth. The Chinese will know if our jets are coming...they just need a jet capable of intercepting the 22.

Word is already out that the advanced intercept and targeting radar suite of the F22, when scaled up to the larger radome and installed on an F-15, can see just about anything, stealth included, no exception for a J-20.

Chances are good that a newer AWACS or AEGIS rig will see everything just fine.