Acoustic from 60's 0r 70's

Rod38um

Ok, about once a year I hear this song and at the moment, I cant remember any of the words. But since I'm bored to death today and the beginning is stuck in my head, I thought I would search the internet for it. Its impossible to do an effective search if you cant remember the words!!!

So I'm asking you guys! This song starts off like an old scratchy album playing acoustic guitar. It crackles and pops like it was made when recording music was first possible and then a modern acoustic and recording breaks in and duals with it for a moment and then takes over. It was very popular back in the day......... Any Ideas what I'm talking about?

lol, if you can sing it for my droidx... it will tell me what it is...

But I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember either.

I almost want to say Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

But that was just the sound of bacon frying...

Edited by ReconRat

lol, if you can sing it for my droidx... it will tell me what it is...

But I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember either.

I almost want to say Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

But that was just the sound of bacon frying...

Its been driving me nuts! LOL

I thought there was a Pink Floyd with a clear "scratchy record" into.

That was part of their music style of song intros.

Guess the roots were in Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, lol.

Edited by ReconRat

More than you ever wanted to know, From Wikipedia:

In the original album version, the song segues from "Have a Cigar" as if a radio had been tuned away from one station, through several others (including a radio play and one playing Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony), and finally to a new station where "Wish You Were Here" is beginning. The radio was recorded from Gilmour's car radio. Gilmour performed the intro on a twelve-string guitar, processed to sound like it was playing through an old transistor radio, and then overdubbed a fuller-sounding acoustic guitar solo. This passage was mixed to sound as though the guitarist was sitting in a room, playing along with the radio; it also contains a whine that slowly changes pitch—emulating the heterodyne between two drifting AM radio signals.

The intro riff is repeated several times and reprised when Gilmour plays further solos with scat singing accompaniment. At the end of the recorded song, the final solo crossfades with wind sound effects (reminiscent of "One of These Days" from the 1971 album Meddle), and finally segues into the second section of the multi-part suite "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

The song borrows the imagery of a "steel rail" from Syd Barrett's solo song, "If It's In You," from The Madcap Laughs album.

I've got everything Floyd ever recorded, in MP3 form, should someone want to 'borrow' it.

So much of Pink Floyds stuff is just timeless........ I mean, there are so many artists that when you listen to there music, you could at least pick a decade that it came from...... its dated. Pink Floyd was in my opinion ahead of there time and somehow escapes being dated.

As a tribute through time, many other bands have done something similar to that intro.

I came across a bunch when searching google. I also recognized where The Monkees did an acoustic intro like that for a song.

One of my faves of theirs, along w/ Comfortably Numb. I also love the string intro to Emerson, Lake & Palmer... From the Beginning.... I can literally listen to that song, & the intro in particular, a million times & never tire of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm1OJ0LAgt4

The Hollies The Air That I Breathe is another of my fave stringed intros...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8zw_iuo_4