Less then happy at the range

scottb

Well, almost any range time is better then no time. But I learned a few things. My Hi Power is still broke. Still does not extractor the spend round. Second thing, a .38 S&W bodyguard has some muzzle flip. The laser was an eye opener as you think you are holding the gun lined up on target, but you see the laser dance around.

Third and fourth thing, after borrowing from a friend a Glock 17 and Springfield XDM, I was not shooting accurately. Not sure why. Probably not too acustom to the gun since they are not mine? Shots were all over the place. Some high, some low, some left and some right. I dont think I was flinching or preparing for the "bang" of the shot.

Fifth thing, the Buckman Camper .22LR pistol rocks!! I was accurate with this one.

So, my next 9mm might be a Taraus PT 92 or whatever the PT 809, a CZ something, or the Ruger SR9

Definitely try more before buying. Maybe rent a few. Personally, I find lasers distracting while I'm shooting. I find myself more concerned about where the light is than where the sights are aligning. Granted I've had extraction problems with Hi-Powers myself, but how much shooting experience do you have? An auto like the hi-power needs a firm platform of resistance to function correctly. Are your elbows tight? Wrists?

Well, almost any range time is better then no time. But I learned a few things. My Hi Power is still broke. Still does not extractor the spend round. Second thing, a .38 S&W bodyguard has some muzzle flip. The laser was an eye opener as you think you are holding the gun lined up on target, but you see the laser dance around.

Third and fourth thing, after borrowing from a friend a Glock 17 and Springfield XDM, I was not shooting accurately. Not sure why. Probably not too acustom to the gun since they are not mine? Shots were all over the place. Some high, some low, some left and some right. I dont think I was flinching or preparing for the "bang" of the shot.

Fifth thing, the Buckman Camper .22LR pistol rocks!! I was accurate with this one.

So, my next 9mm might be a Taraus PT 92 or whatever the PT 809, a CZ something, or the Ruger SR9

Thanks for the range report

I'm not an expert but It sounds like you might be anticipating the shot, two things that might help you if that's the case. I had an instructor once load a dummy round un unbeknown to me and I jerked like a 15 year old with a playboy.:D

The second thing to do is to film yourself. if your not flinching then perhaps your stance is off

Edited by eggs

The laser was distracting, I did focus on the laser, not the sights.

I can see IF needed, that the laser might help in a defensive situation where you could not line up the sights, like reach over a stairwell, but that is proably more hollywood then reality.

I am aware of getting a good grip, so i dont think it is a stance issue. I did get my Hi power used, so i am thinking it was an existing problem, I will probably have the extractor and spring replaced.

Speedy, I did not want to throw ya under the bus, but can you post your target and then your sons' target?.......lol

I dont want to make excuses, but I did have the last range stall, and the single target support string was causing the targets to dance around a bit as the heat/ air exchanger was going full force.

I like the rifles and shotguns better and also shooting outside.

My friend is not really liking his new XDM..

Wow on the jam, that was the ammo we used when you first got the Buckmark. I was going to bring the Blazer ammo, but was not sure your Buckman would like it, I should have asked. I still have about 50 CCI .22LR left.

I do like the Buckmark, next time Fin has it on sale, I think I will pick one up.

Just saw the new camper it has a silver finish and the tabs on the rear of the action that make it easier to pull the action back. I have shot the shot the dyna before and had good luck with them so ? on the jam. I am happy with all my guns right now just need to get use to the .38 Still having issues with the groups on that one.

Good to hear you got some range time in, that is never a bad thing. As for your shot's being off, you need to find your shooting position. Make sure you have a proper, balanced stance. Steady your breathing. I aim with both eyes open. Helps me to see the sights and the target. Plus being left eye dominant and right handed, using one eyes really screws me up. So check which eye dominant you are and adjust. Don't hold your breath, this will make you shake. The best time to squeeze the trigger, not jerk it, is right when you exhale. There is a natural pause in your breath and that is when you are the most steady. Like someone said, tape yourself if you can, or have a spotter watch you to coach.

I'm usually off with other people's firearms until I've shot a little with them. Different ergonomics, sights and trigger pulls will throw anyone off. It's interesting you say you were dead on with the .22 but off with the larger calibers. Sounds like you are anticipating the shots or your grip/stance needs improvement. With the .22 there is less recoil and noise so you might be relaxing and not trying to over control the firearm.

Just my .02.

If your friend doesn't like his XDM he can always give it to me! I love mine. I feel like there is no better all round pistol out there. Put probably 300 round minimum through it and never had a jam or feed issue, consistanly accurate and easy to maintian.

If your friend doesn't like his XDM he can always give it to me! I love mine. I feel like there is no better all round pistol out there. Put probably 300 round minimum through it and never had a jam or feed issue, consistanly accurate and easy to maintian.

Wow, you are alive. You gonna come shoot with us sometime?

Like I said I was proud shot with a rossi single shot youth model .22lr with a 4x bushnell scope on it. He is my little trooper came home and helped me clean all the guns(three handuns and 1 rifle) He takes after his dad of corse.

Cleaning is very important. You can't have fun and not take care of your firearms. Good job teaching him responsibility.