POS Ford Van-a rant

max power

Had a '96 Caravan retired after 207K miles, should have kept it even if it was starting to be a money pit the last six months. Still had the original transmission but it was a non overdrive three speed, a little less gas mileage but a whole lot more dependable.

Had a '91 Aerostar that I retired at 185K miles, I liked it better than the Caravan but it was needing it's third transmission.

JMO, all transmissions after 400 Turbos and C6's stink.

True, all these modern overdrive autos suck. Id prefer a manual anyday, but they are becoming very scarce for some reason.

They (manufacturers) are telling us what we want. What we want are auto's, according to them. :nono:

98 Intrepid, just turned 200k on Friday. Original engine (2.7 sludge monster, very clean on the inside) and trans. I have fixed a couple engine problems, the worst of which was due to my own idiocy (not checking the oil, right about the time it was due to be changed, knowing it will go through about a quart over about 3000 miles, and I change it around 5000 with synthetic.) This is not the norm for these cars, but I can't complain about the reliability! It only left my stranded twice in over 9 years of driving it nearly everyday, first was a bad radiator, the second a split plastic fuel line, that I could have walked across the street and picked up about $5 in parts to fix, if I would have had the tools on me.

that shit pisses me off man....if you know your vehicle leaks like a freight train, dont park it in the driveway...i had someone come over here trying to trade me a car for my mustang when it was for sale, and they leaked half a quart of oil all over my damn driveway parking there

Agreed.

Windstar's are the biggest pos's ford ever produced. And its a former mail truck? Since when do postal workers give a shit about vehicle matience. That thing was beat like Nicole brown simpson.

agree. My parents had an 89 Aerostar that was (mechanically) great, except for rusting like crazy. It was a Ranger with extra seats. They even had a 4x4 model with the 4.0 V6 that the ranger STILL uses, and the last generation Mustang used...

Once Ford went to the taurus-based chassis though, and got away from the truck engines, the "windstar" and whatever its successor was were junk. My parents had 2 of those. One had a head gasket go, and the other needed the engine replaced for some reason. I was at college, and didn't pay much attention at that point...

if you're going to buy a minivan, Dodge/Chrysler has them figured out.

On the cruise control brake switch recall, even if the vehicle doesn't have cruise, it's still got the switch. My Explorer is in on the recall, and the only options it has are power windows and locks, and alloy wheels. When the PO bought it, they got it for the same price as without that stuff, because they sent the wrong one, or something like that.

Oh, and it's a 5 speed. :D

In doing research, all I read about is guys having to replaced the motors on these things at low mileages, but most of them were built with the 3.8 which has heat and head warpage issues.

About the only good thing about this one is that it has the 3.0 which is supposedly a good motor, at least by Ford standards.

Wouldn't that be the 2.8 and 2.9, if that thing had the 3.8 in it you would not be having such issues...

Sorry I am a ford fanboy... I feel you the 2.8 was Super Duper Junk and the 2.9 was just a little better. 3.0 is good and the 4.0 is great, in my eyes...

I have been looking for a older 88 ish BroncoII for a whole now, which was notorious to have that 2.8 piece of shit in it. I want one with a 2.3 in it... Probably why I cant find one.

Wouldn't that be the 2.8 and 2.9, if that thing had the 3.8 in it you would not be having such issues...

Sorry I am a ford fanboy... I feel you the 2.8 was Super Duper Junk and the 2.9 was just a little better. 3.0 is good and the 4.0 is great, in my eyes...

I have been looking for a older 88 ish BroncoII for a whole now, which was notorious to have that 2.8 piece of shit in it. I want one with a 2.3 in it... Probably why I cant find one.

Mine has the 3 liter and an A4OD variant. I believe its the same as in the Taurus.